PDA

View Full Version : a few techniques good enough?

red5angel
02-15-2002, 03:59 PM
There is talk about fighters back in the day, in HK. The well known and well respected fighters, are often said to have had a few techniques they were known for using in thier fights. It wasnt that they didnt know their system, or didnt know it well. It was that fights are quick, and they seemed to have optimised a few really good techniques.
Does this sound reasonable or sound to you?

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes. I think, as long as the techs you use leave no gaps in your fighting, the fewer the techs, the more applicable your fighting is.

Most high-level practitioners I've met knew how to use the techs in their forms, but in fighting, they have the moves from those forms that are their forte.

Stacey
02-15-2002, 04:07 PM
all depends on the opposition.

Are Fists enough to wage war? Not if the other side has clubs.

Are clubs enough for victory? Not if the other side has slingshots

Are arrows enough to win a war? Not against swordsmen.

Are swordsmen enough to win a war? Not against cavalry.

Are cavalry enough? Not against pikemen.

Are guns? Not against napalm.

You get the idea.

For streetfighting, yes, you only need a few. Unless they have a few, or are stronger and more athletic, then you have to make up the difference.

Maybe they conditioned their hand or are naturally stronger boned.

So many variables. The more you know and the harder you train, the more variables dissapear.

Highlander
02-15-2002, 04:16 PM
I think this is a comment more about the quality of there opponents than it is about their skill or the value of a few specific techiques. I am reminded of the Super Bowl in the mid 80's, the 49er against the Dolphins. The 49ers kill them. In the interview after the game they said they knew the Dolphins were going to come out passing. So they went into their pass defense and they were going to stay in it until Miami started running the ball, and Miami never did.

Other examples are some of the worlds best Chess players. Many of them have a favorite openning. And until you start beating them there is no real need to change even though they could.

Still don't get it? Try this, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Budokan
02-15-2002, 06:26 PM
For most people knowing a few techniques and relying only on them is a good way to get your a$$ kicked wide open. That's definitely true for Joe Sixpack and Sally Housecoat, who think that just because they "know" a few techniques picked up from a month of classes in the dojo they're invincible on the street.:rolleyes:

True MA, however, realize that even though we might have mastered various techniques we don't allow that knowledge to give us a false sense of security. *That's* where you lose the mental edge--and more often than not lose the fight.

I would ALWAYS prefer to fight someone who only relied on a few techniques even to a full-blown green amateur. Even before the first punch is thrown I've got the edge because I don't have that false sense of security.

GinSueDog
02-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Honestly, the average joe only needs to know two or three techniques to be able to protect himself. Jab-cross-hook, and maybe the sprawl, but that is really it.-ED

EARTH DRAGON
02-16-2002, 10:14 AM
My sifu used to say you want to learn kung fu you spend whole life.
you want to win fight you use one block one punch fight over.

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 10:47 AM
of course you have a fav. tec. But it is not to have good Kung Fu :D It's having a good fav. tec.

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 10:52 AM
To win a fight you need three things:

1) Hit first
2) Hit fast
3) Hit hard

So just to be safe - I'm beating everyone up before they even see me! :D

Seriously though - maybe not "a few moves", but you should IMHO have a selection of about 5 that are your "best", that you will pull off instinctively, and that don't put you in any disadvantage. I'm thinking: Jab, Cross, Hook, Front Kick, O-goshi and a decent guard. But maybe I'm just shallow and play too much guitar. You guys can now feel free to ridicule me.

Shaolindynasty
02-16-2002, 10:52 AM
During his "closed door" training my sifu said everybody in that group had a special technique. He used to tell me that one guy had this sweep that nobody could avoid. I saw him sparr on an old tape and every time he did the sweep somebody went down.

My sifu said what they did was after regualr training they had special class which was basically extreme exercise and sparring every day of the week. He said in addittion to that everybody picked a single movement or short combination and did it hundreds of times.

He also told me that you should always choose a specialty technique in addittion to genral practice because if you need to fight usually the special technique is all you'll need.