PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Shaolin

BSH
02-15-2002, 05:46 PM
I want to understand which styles of Kung Fu would be considered Shaolin as opposed to Northern or Southern. What type of lineage and history are we talking about?

David Jamieson
02-16-2002, 07:28 AM
Well, just about any style that is buddhist Kung Fu in the large family of chinese martial arts is or was derived from Shaolin Martial arts.

Taoist arts were influenced by the shaolin as the shaolin were influenced by the taoists due to similarities in underlying philosophical principle not to mention the notations of absolute truths regarding the human condition and how it applies to martial science.

So, for chinese martial arts, they are all owing their origins to shaolin as is the case with the buddhist martial arts, or in the case of the taoist martial arts they have been influenced or share with shaolin many aspects in the styles. The muslim styles of Kung Fu were absorbed by Shaolin some time ago and do not exist outside of the shaolin framework any longer.

peace

Chinwoo-er
02-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Kung Lek, I think you are trying to put two forms of classifications together. Cause when you are talking about Shaolin as oppose to other styles, i think you will be going into the internal-external or even branch-branch classification.
For example, you could have north or south Shaolin. Both of which is legitimately Shaolin.
Or you could have a branch of northern styles which includes Shaolin also.