PDA

View Full Version : Paul Whitrods Southern Mantis

FUJIYakumo
02-16-2002, 12:40 PM
hmm checked out pauls school today in east london, being interested in learning southern mantis. looked ok. am not too sure about all the conditioning that seems to go on... is this standard in southern mantis? some of the forearm stuff looked like the choy li fut or hung gar 3star/5star stuff... i think conditioning is waaay overrated. if you dont do conditioning drills all the time, you quickly loose it..

some of the movements looked very WC'ish to me, and some obviously not.

i think the only problem i will have is trying to differentiate my 5 yrs wing chun from what i'll be learning from new.
i guess your first art is always your 'base' no matter what. hopefully it will not be too much a majour problem..

after not training for a year, i cant wait to get back into it!

mantis-1
02-18-2002, 05:54 AM
It's important that you condition the arms in CG SPM as they are used constantly as a defensive shield, to protect the chest area. Often combined with a strong bridge makes it quite difficult for someone to open or close their defence.

Colin
02-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Sifu Paul Whitrod is one of, if not the best CG SPM instructors in the UK.
If you prefer to train the same style but in a softer way, that is also possibe in London, as Grand Master Man sek Wing & Sifu Mark Leung teach in North London.
GM Man Sek Wing has introduced a more internal aspect to the art. www.southernmantis.co.uk

Either way you will get excellent training.

As for your Wing Chun experience.
Never forget what you have learnt, but do not try to compare the two styles, as by doing so you will undermind your openness to absorb the SPM techniques.

regards
C...........

TaoBoy
03-07-2002, 04:33 PM
I study a Southern Mantis style and I can tell you the conditioning is well worth it. It may seem overated at first but once you progress, you will understand the benefits of such training.

When I first walked into my school I thought it looked similar to Wing Chun. I have found that some theories are similar but many differ.

It is a hard style but well worth it and it will compliment your current Wing Chun knowledge.

BIU JI
03-09-2002, 05:45 PM
It could be what makes the difference in a fight if you are conditioned and your opponent is not. Don't underestimate the importance of bridge training.;)