PDA

View Full Version : What Music Get's You in the Kung Fu Groove?

Nexus
02-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Drum music is definetely one for me. I feel like I am in an tribe, dancing around with all my tribal members. Wood flutes do amazing thing's for relaxation, and when I am in a real yang atmosphere I even enjoy Hip Hop beats for taiji.

How about you?

respectmankind
02-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Manson, Papa rouch, but mostly classical/opera

kungfu cowboy
02-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Alvin and the Chipmonks! Ow-woo-ow!!

tri2bmt
02-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Definetly manson.
fast aggresive and pounding

JasBourne
02-16-2002, 03:44 PM
Propellerheads - "decksanddrumsandrockandroll". Been listening to that one for almost a year now. Love the whole Bond undertone.

CanadianBadAss
02-16-2002, 03:50 PM
the mortal combat song. And alot of that techno rave music.

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Ahem. Jas? When you say Propellerheads, you hear "Spybreak!" :DMan I love that tune. Fluke are cool too, but a bit to chilled to work to. NuMetal's OK - RATM always gets me going.

[screams] "MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT" [DUM DUM DUM...]

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 04:26 PM
hmmm..
Tunes that reminds me of kf movies, like the Jackie Chan song by Ash (?) from rumble in the bronx.
The african chanting song from Who am I? So fecking great :)
Spy Break! as stated above..

uhh,, 'prince Ali' from disneys Aladdin. Makes ya feel powerfull sorta.

Once upon a time in China - theme (from the beach intro, gives chills man)

Latin Kings - passa micken
Latin Kings - blend dom
Unsung Heroes (next degree, dummy, what would u do?)

Shenmue theme Xiangha theme, orchestra version and 'Nozomi and Ryu'
beautiful..

Deftones, Rage against the machine, KoRn...

Dredg - penguins in the desert

'Tarantella Napoletana'
'Luna Mezzo Mare'
puddle of Mudd - she hates me
Petter - ey yo
Promoe - big in Japan
Promoe - long arm of the law
Infinite Mass - bullet, she's a freak

EARTH DRAGON
02-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Kojiki Kitaro , japanese classical MA music, lots of flutes and woodwinds and mostly haunting melodies with mixed emotions. Must hear to appreiciate.

PHILBERT
02-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Techno now and forever for me.

Sam Wiley
02-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Black Sabbath

Try practicing or sparring with Children of the Grave in the background.

HopGar
02-16-2002, 09:02 PM
For me, its either Celtic Rock, namely Seven Nations - try doing kung fu/ taiji to a punk rock band combined with bagpipes and violins - COOL STUFF. Its that or Jewish/ Israeli Rock just for its quick beat.

Buddha_Fist
02-17-2002, 01:35 AM
Try Oliver Shanti's CD's, especially "Tai Chi", "Tai Chi Too" and "Tibetiya". You can find info about them at:

www.sattva.com

Unbelievable good music.

Asia
02-17-2002, 01:54 AM
JPOP,

TRF, Two-Mix, Globe!!!

Rave!!!

If you ever see me in a club don't miss the Da Baji done to Trance!!!:D :D :cool:

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-17-2002, 02:33 AM
death metal.

jun_erh
02-17-2002, 07:27 AM
Capone N Noriega
Mobb Deep
and for some reason Guided by Voices as well, particularly "Do the Collapse" "Mag Earwhig" and (main GBV guy) Robert Pollard's solo Lp "Waved Out".

The track "Gunplay" from Prodigy's (fr Mobb Deep, not the techno group) solo album "HNIC" is like my theme song. Not so much for the rhymes which are good, but for the tension and slow burning energy of the track. It has this sort of industrial/orchestra sample that you can bearly hear but is just right:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

qeySuS
02-17-2002, 08:46 AM
System of a down all the way, favourite song to train with would be "War?" i did my first and only KO (at least TKO he went down and didnt wanna box anymore once he got up) when listening to that tune.

"Dark is the light,
The man you fight,
With all your prayers, incantations,
Running away, a trivial day,
Of judgment and deliverance,
To whom was sold, this bounty soul,
A gentile or a priest ?
Who victored over, the Seljuks,
When the holy land was taken

We will fight the heathens, We will fight the heathens
We will fight the heathens, We will fight the heathens"

African Tiger
02-17-2002, 10:38 AM
During class, sifu usually plays meditational music. Real soft, earthy, flute like stuff.

But on occasion, he plays this medley someone gave him with a whole bunch of pop tunes; featuring of course, "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas!

It's really hard to keep a stance, when you want to giggle your ass off! :D

mestre
02-17-2002, 10:44 AM
funky chicken

wufupaul
02-17-2002, 01:55 PM
If I'm fighting, I listen to punk. Strung Out, Good Riddance, Propagandhi, and lots of other bands, too. It helps to get me in the mood, hehe.

Budokan
02-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" gets me in the mood for martial arts. Except I cry at the end when the swan dies.

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 02:16 PM
Ah Budokan, secretly you're Richmond's own Frasier Crane. A middle class snob with a penchant for tomfoolery.

Repulsive Monkey
02-17-2002, 03:14 PM
For quiet slow practice:-

Spiritualised, Broadcast, Loop Guru, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Will Oldham.

For more spirited practice:-

Mad Dog (pre-d&b white label stuff just for the bass), Ganja Krew/DJ Hype, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Autechre, Aphex Twin, ******** Surfers, Bongwater, and the like....

logic
02-17-2002, 03:30 PM
SLAYER
Reign In Blood

GeySuS
System Of Down.(cool)

Justa Man
02-17-2002, 03:40 PM
logic, can you do the milano mosh? :)

put in some kenny g and i'll rip anyone's a$$!!

guohuen
02-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Reetha!

red_fists
02-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Hmm, let's see.

Carl Douglas
Steppenwolf.
Bon Jovi
Deep Purple
Jim Steinman
Queen
Enigma
Journey
for starters.

Really depends on what I am after when I hit the groove.

PhoenixPangaryk
02-18-2002, 10:23 AM
External

Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Metallica
AC/DC
Judas Priest

Anything hard, dark and destructive

Internal

Pink Floyd
Moody Blues

KC Elbows
02-18-2002, 10:35 AM
King Crimson-Discipline

For some reason, if I want a good lively practice, Django Reinhardt and/or Stephan Grapelli does the trick.

For fighting, Sabicas all the way.

Marshdrifter
02-18-2002, 10:37 AM
It varies depending on both what I'm working on and what is
currently in the heavy rotation for music.

Currently the practicing music includes:

The Legendary Pink Dots
Massive Attack
Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
James
Love and Rockets
Beta Band
London Suede
Kristin Hersh
BRMC
Camper Van Beethoven
Laurie Anderson
Ok, those are things I'd normally listen to, I guess.
But other things include the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
soundtrack and a CD I picked up in Chicago Chinatown last
Christmas called "Gongs and Drums for Celebration II."

KC Elbows
02-18-2002, 10:52 AM
I should clarify that most of the time, I prefer to work without music. I tend to disect music as I listen, and so music is something I make a specific time for, as opposed to something I use for background.

ewallace
02-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Slipknot
White Zombie
UGK

Braden
02-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Antidote, Aphex Twin, Astral Projection, At The Drive In, Ben Harper, Cardigans, Chopin, Desmond Dekker, Deftones, Descendants, Don Cabbalero, Dropkick Murphys, Ella Fitzgerald, Eric's Trip, Esthero, Frank Sinatra, Hallucinogen, Harry Connick Jr, Holly Cole, Hum, Jamiroquia, Juno Reactor, Juliana Hatfield, Letters to Cleo, Massive Attack, Mystery Machine, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Nina Simone, Nine Inch Nails, Pedro the Lion, Portishead, Radiohead, Ramones, Refused, Rentals, Rose Chronicles, Save Ferris, Scratching Post, Smashing Pumpkins, Sneaker Pimps, Sonic Youth, South Pacific, Sully, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Cure, Tool, (And You Will Know Us By The) Trail of Dead, Vandals, Weekend, Weezer.

... off the top of my head.

Tigerstyle
02-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Soundtracks!

Star Wars trilogy (and episode 1)
The Matrix
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Blade
The Last Dragon
Karate Kid
Once Upon a Time in China
The Hunted

and my favorite: Conan the Barbarian!

premier
02-18-2002, 02:06 PM
80's disco! Soul, funk.. that's the ****! :D

dezhen2001
02-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Jun-erh - i'm feelin that man!

Anyone from QB is good:- Mobb Deep, Noreaga, LL...Onyx
I also listen to ppl like Big L (RIP), Eric Sermon, Wu-Tang 36 Chambers... UK hiphop like 57th Dynasty, Roots Manuva, Malachi; it depends what mood i'm in.

The 'Wong Fei Hung' theme in Once Upon a Time in China is cool :)

david

Justa Man
02-18-2002, 07:40 PM
know what music is real hot? the theme music from ninja 2 or ninja 3 (NOT the one where the girl gets possesed by the ninja). that used to get me shadowboxing mad foes in my pj's with the sockies on 'em.

Sharky
02-18-2002, 07:45 PM
you guys are wierd

Nexus
02-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Braden, alphabitizing them right off the top of your head is impressive :) Just downloaded some Astral Projection, I like it.

Braden
02-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Impressive? How flattering. I would have called it obsessive. :)

Astral Projection are great trance. Really fun fat synth lines; can't help but make you happy.

Nexus
02-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Which tracks are your favorites? So far "The Feelings" has struck a chord for me.

Braden
02-18-2002, 09:25 PM
They're one of my favorite bands; I absolutely love almost everything they've done. Feelings is pretty good... do you think that's Jordi Laforge from Star Trek: Next Generation talking at the beginning? ;p

'People Can Fly' is really good. There's a background whistling kind of synth line that starts right when the beat starts and ascends in noise that makes me absolutely giddy everytime I hear it. Then by the end, the song is so full. *drool* 'Tryptomine Dream' is also really good. 'Dancing Galaxy' might be my favorite. You can't beat a Dune sample, haha. And 'Liquid Sun.' Actually, nevermind, they're all too good.

Braden
02-18-2002, 09:39 PM
If you like Astral Projection, check out Hallucinogen. They're darker, but you'd probably still like them. Grab 'Shakey Shaker' and 'Horrorgram.'

And Juno Reactor too, if you hadn't heard them. They're my absolute favorite trance outfit, although their sound is more tribal. Check out 'Jardin de Cecil' and 'Conga Fury.'

jun_erh
02-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Big L was great. I've got the Big Picture and Lifestyles.. I actually met Mobb Deep by chance a few months ago when they were promoting "Infamy" which hadn't come out yet. It's funny because they're both super tiny. Havoc is like five foot, Prodigy is a head taller but super skinny. It's crazy because they're so intimidating in their songs. P has Mobb Deep tattooed on his finger like m on one finger etc.

fa_jing
02-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Lately, Doobie Brothers.

-FJ

Sharky
02-19-2002, 12:59 PM
me and dezhen2001 would get on well.