PDA

View Full Version : Need equipment advice

lowsweep
02-16-2002, 04:07 PM
I am looking for a set of adjustable dumbells that can withstand at least 100 pounds (each), and a good stiff powerlifting barbell. My current pair of adjustable dumbells is only rated to withstand 40 pounds each and I don't want to risk loading on more than 60. The only adjustable dumbells I have seen that can take a good 100+ pounds cost around $200.00 a pair (without plates :eek: ) and that, to me at least, seems rediculus for a pair of dumbell handles. Can anyone recommend to me some good equipment and where to find it?

Thanks,
adam

lowsweep
02-23-2002, 08:24 AM
Nobody knows of a set of adjustable dumbells that can take 100 pounds each and cost less than $100? Does anyone know if it is possible to make a pair out of maybe a steel bar? If I use cast iron I will need to buy a new set of 5 pound heavier dumbells every two weeks to keep up with my gains (I love dumbell bench). I already have plates, I just need to upgrade my dumbell handles. It would be much less expensive to get the handles than a set of cast iron, and I like adjustable better anyway. I really could use some help here
thanks
adam

Silumkid
02-25-2002, 01:51 PM
If you have the resources, try looking into Powerblocks. They are somewhat expensive, but if you can afford them, well worth it. One set of Powerblocks can equal something like 12 pair of dumbells. They have different sets that go up to different weights...I think the heaviest ones go up to 85 pounds.

www.powerblocks.com

Hope that is the right link. :D

lowsweep
02-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Those powerblocks look interesting, but I'm afraid I can't afford them. I really need a good pair of adjustable dumbells that can take 80-100 pounds each for under $100.00 if at all possible. More than that and Ill just make the time to go to the gym, but I really prefer working out at home. There has got to be a pair of them around here somewhere!

guohuen
02-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Got any second hand sports shops near you?

CD Lee
02-26-2002, 09:55 PM
Problem is design related. The adjustable ones that are 100lbs. are pretty much dangerous, thus impractical to make cheaply. 100 lb dumbell is very heavy and dense and can be real dangerous to handle. Have seen spotter lose control of them, and guys lifting lose temporary control in a transition move, and smash lots of toes and fingers. Ouch.

Could you consider a deep chest barbell for bench presses? Much safer.

ged
02-27-2002, 03:34 AM
lowseep, can i ask about your dumbbell press workout? sounds like some good gains u got going there..... if youve listed your workout in another thread, just point it out...

thanks

lowsweep
02-27-2002, 03:07 PM
ged: I do 4 sets once a week of dumbell bench press: A set of 10-12, two sets of 7-9, and a set of 4-6. I use the heaviest weights I can do it with, lift once a week in the middle of the day and put on some tiger balm on my pecs and tris 15 mins before i lift to warm them up. Sometimes I will also do a warmup set. I also switch up my routine a little if my gains begin to slow, like doing a reverse pyramid for one week before going back to my regular routine. Other than that, I just eat lots of protein and a PBH and hour and a half before i work out (pbh=peanut butter and honey). good luck!

ged
02-27-2002, 07:12 PM
thanks for the info.... theyre the same sets/reps that im doing (got them off that post ages ago, advice from an ex-powerlifter)... and im pretty sure its working. nice to have confirmation that the same routine is working for you.