PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar Snake Set

Kevin73
01-16-2001, 09:22 PM
I was curious to know if anyone has trained with and is familiar with Hung Gar's Snake Set (as taught by Wing Lam)?

My question is; Does the serpentine movement that is in the form have combat applications, if so what are they? Or is it a training tool to teach linking of body weapon/stance along with the internal aspect.

There are no Hung Gar schools in this state, and I am interested in learning more about it.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

fiercest tiger
01-16-2001, 10:08 PM
sifu andy troung of wah nam kung fu academy, has a snake set out for sale on video. i dont know if its jow gar or hung gar. but anyway email him and see if it is the hung gar. he has very good authenic hung gar and jow gar lineage and might be able to help you out.

:)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Subitai
01-16-2001, 11:56 PM
HSF snake is one of Lam Sifu's favorite sets. He teaches it as a more internal set. (Then again, at this stage in his career he teaches everything w/ a more internal methodology)

The applications on the basic level are very easy to pick out and utilize. What's more important however is the way the link your body and generate power.

Many times just fooling around exchanging techniques w/ him I lasted only about 3 movements before I felt the dagger like snake fingers(like a GIM hand) at my throat pressing in about 1/2".

Typical to most southern systems you have to close the gap and aggressively persue your targets. I can't really see this type of energy being used at Long range like for example, SL Long Fist.

Anyway, in this system you have to train Yee Gee kim yeung ma stance ALOT. At our school, we test it alot. Stand there, push and pull, lift and sink w/ your arms out. If you can root and hold ect ect, your on the right track. Of course it is training, so upon application you use the concept in a more natural stance.

Ease on bro,

"O"nassis

illusionfist
01-16-2001, 11:57 PM
Snake is supposed to teach you pinpoint striking methods. The fighting applications for the snake are pressure points, mainly struck with a snakes head strike or the snake tongue (ala Ha Say Fu). After you have built up your energy with the other sets, or internal sections, the snake is supposed to teach you how to use that reserved energy for striking.

Peace :D

Shaolin Master
01-17-2001, 01:35 AM
Snake has
Sticky jing practice and coil practice, thus though slow in form it is not the same in application. Similar to a Taiji concept sometimes.

In Fujian Wuxing Quan Snake set there is use of the tongue, mouth, body and head. it is extremely practical though I am unfamiliar with Winglam's I presume it must be similar.

In Emei snake the movements are completely useful for combat as well (closest to you would be Liang Shou Yu)

In Fujian Chen Family Snake the movements are not as coiling as the others and much more vigorous full of powerful striking thrusting fingers as much as grabs and inclusion of fists and kicks as well.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

Lightning Vortex Seiryu go
06-25-2001, 10:56 PM
hello fello gung fu finatics. good after noon

jay

Kung Lek
06-25-2001, 11:57 PM
She Kuen is an internal set.
In the HSF (four lower tigers) system, the sets progress from the so-called "external" to the so-called "internal".

The tiger - bone/muscle
the leopard- speed/blood
the crane -tendon/sinew
the snake -Chi
the Dragon - Jing/metamorphosis

so generally training snake is to train aspects that are considered "internal" in their developmental nature.

Snake from HSF is very similar in flavour to Tai Chi, but... not quite :)

Northern Snake is similar in flavour.

peace

Kung Lek

Kevin Barkman
06-26-2001, 12:29 AM
Hi Kung Lek, did you recently move to Toronto?

Is (Dai) Foo Say Kuen (Large Tiger Snake Fist) a traditional Hung Gar form as well? Haven't seen it mentioned in other lineages. Maybe it is Choy Lee Fut?

Cheers - kevin

Lightning Vortex Seiryu go
06-26-2001, 01:17 AM
Hello, snake is one of the styles that I was
made to be familiar with over the years and it is a respected ascet to my martial ability. I am also awere of its internal qualities and am pleased to know that you are also awere of them. that is very good. Now, what was that about the simularitys with the four lower tigers? I have not come across your path yet. Sounds like four elements of four different southern attacks. please go on. I'd like to hear more.
brother,
L,v,Seiru

jay