PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble would you go through?

qeySuS
02-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Ok, as some of yuo may know i have been toying with the idea of going abroad to train this summer, spend my 3 months of summer vacation totally in training and working out. This is something i've been thinking about since around august, but due to another trip abroad i havent had a chance to save up any money until now (i only have a part time job with my college studies).

So my question is basicly this, how far would YOU go to spend a summer practicing in a place really hard (given that you really wanna go). The thing is i'd propably need around 3000$ (wont be working out there), airfare alone is around 1200$ and the rest is basicly for housing/training and food (plus misc stuff), and so far i've only got like 750$, i can imagine myself having 1250-1500$ tops before summer and i know i'll get a 500$ tax refund in august. But this still leaves me 1000$ short at BEST (almost 1500$ at worst). So would you take a loan to be able to make this and spend your winter paying it off?

This is an idea i've really been toying with because i'm getting sick and tired of always thinking and planning but never doing, some of you may remember my planning to go and live in Denmark last summer (nordjobb) but that kinda fell through (also because of money), i know it sucks ass but chances are i'll have a steady part time job when i get home so i shouldnt have any problems paying it off.

But man would this be a scary bit, going into hardcore training, having no idea what your getting into, having only spent 10 days prior to this trip in an english speaking country, knowing noone there, ahhh sounds fun! I could take a friend with me but all those elements are a part of the reason it would be cool to go ;) (still scary, i have to do my own laundry and **** :eek: )

Well anywho just thought i'd put this on the board as well, cuz i'm thinking really hard about this these days cause i gotta call ahead at least about a month beforehand so i have a place held for me over there, which means i'll decide soon (within a month propably).

Mr. Nemo
02-16-2002, 08:24 PM
Man, you're a lot more motivated than I am if you go through with this. The only idea I have is to go somewhere closer, that maybe won't cost as much for airfare - Holland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway all have a fair amount of shootfighting gyms, and a fairly active MMA scene.

Kristoffer
02-17-2002, 02:41 AM
yeah move to here man :) Alot of shootfighting and BJJ popping up everywhere, with many seminars from top names like the gracies.

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Just go for it man. Life is too short to sit around planning. Wish I could do the same [stinking Uni fees...]. Make sure you get a decent loan though, and work it all out to make sure you can pay it off. Don't want to be struggling with debt.

The language factor - you'll be fine - you write it well enough.

As for the laundry...... [shudder]

qeySuS
02-17-2002, 08:53 AM
I had thought about going to scandinavia and training, but i figured it wouldnt be THAT much cheaper, airfare is cheaper, but i'd propably end up paying more for the housing/training (cause i got a good deal going in USA for taht, like 350$ a month for housing at the gym and that includes the training fees). So i'm guessing a small apartment or something in a decent place would range anywhere from 400-600$ a month (judging from costs here in Iceland at least) plus training fees. So it wouldnt make THAT much of a difference :)

Delicate: That's exactly what i've been thinking about! It's too short for planning, i just wanna say "Fu(k it, i'll go have a blast and then worry about it", since i'll propably go to Uni after next year so i wont be able to do this for a while if not now (not unless by some miracle i got enough money to go to Uni in USA).

As for the laundry, i do know one generic setting so i can wash my own workout clothing ;) So maybe that will work out fine! :D

CrushingFist
02-17-2002, 12:21 PM
hi, 1200 sounds expensive for tickets, try checking at www.travelocity.com

I got tickets all the way to china for only 600$, roundtrip, maybe they have a good deal to wherever your planning on going to train.

qeySuS
02-17-2002, 12:26 PM
That link doesnt work, but there's only one airline that flies out of Iceland that i know of (Icelandair) so there's not much chance i can get out cheaply.

Budokan
02-17-2002, 01:16 PM
It doesn't matter how motivated we are. The question remains how motivated are YOU?

If you're really serious about doing this thing then go ahead and do it. It should be an interesting life experience, no matter how it turns out. Right?

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 01:29 PM
"F*ck it" - The best words in the world. I've planned to take a year out after Uni - and backpack around Asia. Hopefully.

I thought the same thing last year - I had planned to sail on a boat across the North Sea. Turned out to be the best thing I ever did. Delicate's rule - Just Do It*

*Do they still use this? I don't want my ass sued off! :D

fightfan
02-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Queysus, IMO youd be better off spending that money on some mats and instructional tapes. Get a few of your home boys together a few times a week and train, train, train.
To me it wouldnt make much sense to go all the way to California to learn the basics. Learn them and THEN go train with the masters.
If you do go, be very careful with who you associate with. There are a lot of sick fuks around.
What video format does Iceland use? Let me know, I may be able to help you save some money with some instructionals! :)

qeySuS
02-17-2002, 03:12 PM
heh wow i guess people really read my posts ;) I never mentioned what i was going to do or where but still people knew (didnt mention in this post that is).

Yah i guess yer all right ;) I'll propably end up going.

Btw FightFan, noone that lives close is interested in rolling, i could propably do Judo and try'n'find someone who's itnerested in doing some extra groundwork, but i planned on doing that anyway next winter, well see how that works out, doubt i'll be able to pay for 2 gyms and payoff a loan ;)

Btw Delicate i think they still use it ;) (if they dont they sure as hell have it trademarked). My motto is usually "It'll be ok" (it's much more of a slang when i say it in Icelandic). Kinda like "dont worry be happy" :P

Justa Man
02-17-2002, 03:57 PM
this is amazing because i have wanted to do something similar. i've wanted to go somewhere out of country (thereby removing me from all friends, family and social dependencies) where i'd pay for a room and for 3 meals a day, and to have a space to train all day. i'd basically be paying for my meals and a roof over my head, where i could train my ba gua. that would be the hottest thing in the world.
anyone know of anyplace that offers this ? anyone with a backyard willing to rent a room and cook my food ? :)
i think you should to it. you'll be glad you did, because as you say, it is something you've wanted to do.

red_fists
02-17-2002, 04:55 PM
QueySus.

I say go for it, but at the same time consider going FAAR away.

Often it turns out cheaper in the long run, plus you also want to be in a location where you can do sightseeing, etc. when you are not training.

And if you are worried about your english, go for a country where englihs is 2nd or 3rd language.

Your written English seems fine, but I can see that you might be worried about verbal skills.

So my best suggestion would be to go somewhere where you can:
1.) be refered to by your Sifu.
2.) get help from somebody you know that lives there.

Just to give you an idea.
In Tokyo you can live at a Gai-Jin House for about 40.000~60.000 a month.(cheap one)
While at the same time you could rent a cheap, small Apartment for less than that.
Anyhuh I wish you all the best, and if you decide to head over this side of the ol' Dirtball give me a yell.

fightfan
02-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Queysus, yeah, I remember your posts on ITG. As a matter of fact a lot of the ITG peaple are now at www.nhbgear.com in case you want to check it out.
Im sure youll have a good time at Brennan's. He seems like a class act and his academy is off da hook! ;)
Good luck and train hard! :cool:

qeySuS
02-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Justa Man: Yeah it's appealing isnt it? :) Going away from all that "security" so to say and having to handle yourself far away, i didnt really think about it when i decided i wanted to go but it's just something that came later on.

Red_fists: Thanks for the tips man i appreciate it, i'd love to go to Tokyo but i already have a place in California in mind to go to.

fightfan: I'll check it out but i'll propably just lurk ;) Dont have much to add to a BJJ place when i dont know BJJ, but i do enjoy reading the posts.

Tigerstyle
02-18-2002, 01:32 PM
DelicateSound,
They still use it. They almost use it in place of the logo sometimes, in fact.

I'm turnin' you in :p ! Maybe I can get a reward (some free shoes, perhaps...)