PDA

View Full Version : Initial fighting stance

Mr. Nemo
02-16-2002, 10:01 PM
We've talked about the functions of the different "training stances" (I only call them that because I can't think of another name) of kung fu - horse stance, bow stance, cat stance, and so on. The consensus seems to be that these stances are usually transitional in nature, and that often the movement between them is used to generate power (the second point is less widely accepted than the first).

But instead of talking about transitional stances, why don't we talk about the "initial stance" - that is, the stance you start out in, and the stance you might revert to if you try a technique and it fails for some reason. Ideally, the initial stance mixes defense with the potential for offense. However, sometimes these two goals get in the way of each other, and defense against upper body throws is not the same as defense against lower body takedowns is not the same as defense against punches is not the same as defense against kicks.

Here are some sample stances found in various martial arts. I haven't trained in all of these, so if I get anything wrong, please tell me. These are only the basics.:

Muay Thai: In a "classical" muay thai stance, the weight is on the back leg, the body is held mostly upright, and the arms are held in front of the face, sometimes with the elbows away from the body. The lead foot has little to no weight on it.

This stance is good for defense against punches and kicks (the lead foot can quickly rise up to block a leg or body kick with the shin because there is no weight on it), can quickly go into "three-point stance" (both elbows in, knee up, there are very few openings for an attack against someone in this stance). The raised elbows gives good protection to the entire face, and helps thai boxers close to the thai-style "plum" clinch.

Boxing: In a typical american boxers' stance, more weight is generally placed on the front foot. Weight rests on the balls of the feet. The heel of the back foot is raised off of the ground. The hands are held on either side of the chin to protect the face, while the elbows are held close to the body to protect the body. Weight is low, with the boxer in a semi-crouched position.

A european boxer tends to stand more upright. I don't quite understand the pros and cons of the european style vs. the american style, maybe someone that knows more about boxing can help me.

This stance gives the boxer good mobility of the head and whole body. The rear heel raised off of the floor gives the boxer a greater range of motion in which to torque his or her hip when delivering a punch with the rear hand (the right hand if you're right handed, for example). The position of the hands gives good punch defense to both the head and body.

"Old School" Vale Tudo/BJJ: This is a stance such as the one Royce Gracie used in the early UFC's. Most of the weight is on the back foot, the knees are slightly bent, the front hand is held out at arms' length both as a ranging tool and as a defense against punches, the chin is tucked between the lead shoulder and the rear hand.

This stance offers good defense against strikes. Since the only objective in "old school" BJJ is to either shoot or close to the clinch, striking offense is not really an issue.

Wrestling: A freestyle wrestler will be more crouched over than a boxer, lower the the ground, and will keep his hands closer to his or her waist than the face, so he or she can get underhooks if the opponent shoots. Sometimes wrestlers use a staggered stance, with one foot in front of the other, and sometimes they use an even stance, with the feet on a straight line if you're looking at them from the side.

This stance gives a wrestler good mobility, good balance and base, and the ability to sprawl quickly and with good technique. However, the lowered hands, while they're good for underhooks, don't give the head protection from strikes.

Those are some examples. From those, we can conclude that having the right stance is kind of a four-way love-hate relationship between mobility, defense against strikes, potential to throw effective strikes of your own, and defense against takedowns. There are two basic contrasts that I see:

Higher stances (more mobility) vs. lower stances (more balance)

Hands up (better striking defense) vs. hands down (underhooks)

All these things are an issue in fighting. I rewatched a couple of Kaoru Uno's fights recently, and he uses a very unique stance - very crouched over, almost like a pure wrestler's stance, only with his hands up, one hand almost continually feinting jabs. This got me thinking that the american "crouchfighter's" boxing stance seems like a pretty happy medium between all these different options: good striking offensively and defensively, decent mobility, and decent defense against takedowns.

I haven't listed any kung fu stances because there are so many different styles, with subtle differences in their stances, and because I wanted some of the people here to describe their stances and why they use them. For instance, I know praying mantis' stance is weighted similar to muay thai's, while many other northern kung fu stances are much like a more crouched version of the old-school BJJ stance.

respectmankind
02-16-2002, 10:04 PM
I just stand in a stance that gives me high mobility, agility, speed.

Braden
02-16-2002, 10:23 PM
A:

http://www.toastmasters.org/graphics/standing.gif

B:

http://www.ninedragonarts.com/graphics/wuji02.jpg

C:

http://site.netopia.com/bagua/nss-folder/palmchanges/single5.jpg

A -> B -> C -> B -> A

Sam Wiley
02-16-2002, 10:32 PM
I rather like this one.

Jeff Liboiron
02-17-2002, 12:18 AM
your initial figthing stance will be your normal stance. eg: standing around waiting for the bus.

you never know when some punk is gonna try and beat you down, and your not gonna stand around with your hands up, knees bent, etc.

Kristoffer
02-17-2002, 03:02 AM
I agree,,

We use a rather high stance with high speed and mobility.. But also very low, powerfull stances good for taking out legs and making sweeps.

EARTH DRAGON
02-17-2002, 10:17 AM
we use the 50/50 stance, very realxed with 50% of your weight distributed on each foot, very natural and realxed but can change in a split second to anyone of our other 8 stances.

African Tiger
02-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Wuji or Wu Qi would be the best stance for the typical shouting match, cum shoving match type of fight. It's the most natural looking and allows equal distribution of the body's weight for quick response.

A friend of mine who studied Kajukenbo would stand in something like Wuji with his hands folded at his waist, staring intently at the person with whom he was arguing. With his hands folded, he could block quickly with either hand, and deliver an unseen low kick, due to the slight bend in his knees. I've been trying to adapt something similar to that in my style.

mestre
02-17-2002, 10:31 AM
You might not think it but the capoeira stance called the 'ginga' is quiet effective it keeps u moving the whole time and allowes you to move about quick plus your oppenent will be confused wondering wott the hell your doing

Former castleva
02-17-2002, 11:19 AM
Riding horse stance:
Itīs great for upper and lower blocks,arm breaks,wrist twisting etc.
Well...
A low stance is good for stable striking while a high stance is good for kicking.

Mr. Nemo
02-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Of course, if you're caught off guard, you're not gonna have a choice about what stance you're in, but I'm talking about the stance you would get in if you hypothetically saw your opponent coming.

Like, when you spar, when you first step onto the mat and the other guy is on the other end, how do you stand? I've never sen anyone stand in wuji for sparring, usually they adopt a more "ready" stance.

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Personally:

Weight about 70% on back foot, so I can move quickly and fire off a low kick to the knees. [most untrained fighters just think about hands] Right hand up by my face, close enough in to cover that side of the head - typical boxer guard. Left hand is slightly more forward - to range, intercept and grab. I'm slightly bent over and ready to sprawl a tackle.

I'm pretty sure I have every base covered there. Feel free to criticise and ridicule as necessary.