PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Kungfu?

Shaolindynasty
02-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Can you guys please give me the names and contact info(especially websites) to some good kungfu schools in chicago? I am looking for a new school to advance my studies I am not to particular about style right now, just weighing my options. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Chris McKinley
02-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Wai Lun Choi would be the first person I visit the next time I'm in Chicago. Zhang Hong Xiao is also a very good teacher with a great depth of knowledge. Both are internal arts guys, but I'm kinda biased.

You might also check out Fred Degerberg's world famous school. His place is like an all-you-can-eat buffet of martial arts. There are classes in everything under the sun. Even if you don't end up there, it's a great place to get to see what various different styles are like.

Royal Dragon
02-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Golden Mountain Kung fu - Good rep, especially fro combat reality -(630) 904 4747

Iron Fist Kung Fu - Another good group, decended from Master John Tsai - Old # (773) 435 3478 not sure if it's still good, but try - Ask for Dino Spenceror his sister Gia Spencer. Tell them one of Sifu Kathyrn's old students from Roselle recomended you.

Another group with a good rep is Bei Shaolin institute - (312 or maybe 773) 244 9880 - This is an old number too, so you may have to 411 it.

RD

old jong
02-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Why not take a look at this? (http://www.windycitywingchun.com/main.html) ;)

Water Dragon
02-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Dino Costeas also teaches BJJ at Iron Fist. Dino is a purple but should really be a brown. Dino is also head bouncer at Circus so he pays a lot of detail to winning real altercations.

fa_jing
02-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Well, you'll never make it up as far as my neighborhood for classes, but if you wanna visit, your more than welcome!!

My kwoon - Kung Fu Academy of Chicago. Master S. Kwan.
The guy grew up in HK and Taiwan, graduated at the top of his 7* praying Mantis class, and was in some Kung Fu movies. Sheridan and Pratt in the northernmost neighborhood in Chicago.
Contact me for info.

I actually study Wing Chun and JKD semi-privately with Sifu Nikita Johnson, student of Ted Wong and a Cook County Sheriff, lots of MMA ring experience.

Iron Fist has a good rep. I know a guy whose trained at Degerberg's for 9 years.

NomortaL
02-18-2002, 08:41 PM
The bei shaolin Instutite should be great. Master Lee there taught my Sifu and currently im under Sifu Miller in Memphis, TN.

Sam
02-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Try This for private Lessons In Fut Sao Wing Chun
http://hometown.aol.com/ck26m/myhomepage/profile.html

SevenStar
02-18-2002, 10:23 PM
bei shaolin has good stuff to offer as does golden mountain. I've heard excellent things about choi.

cachao
02-20-2002, 01:20 PM
The only place I would study Kung fu in chicago if I wanted the real stuff is Wai Lun Choi's School. I am currently a student there and I learned more there in one class than I did in a year at some of the other chicago schools like Iron fist.

I studied at Iron Fist for a year and its alright for wu shu, cute girls and cardio kickboxing type stuff, but it just is not even close to the quality of Choi's school. Its real internal style Kung fu. He teachs Ba Gua, Tai Chi, H-sing yi and is the lineage master of real Liu Ho Ba Fa.

His school is small and not fancy, but don't let its appearence be decieving. He even teaches the class, it is extreamly rare that a master of his ability would personally teach the class. None of the other schools I've been to have had classes taught by the master only by senior students. Look up his web site for more information. Http://www.liuhopafa.com

Cachao

fa_jing
02-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Oops forgot to add, Dr. Shi-Cun Wu's Taiji school at 5413 N. Clark Street. The man is my acupuncturist and is a master of 4 different styles of TaiJi- Chen, Yang, Wu, and Sun. He does teach the classes and has authored over 20 books on TaiJi and Chinese Medicine. Worth a visit to his shop, definitely.

-FJ