PDA

View Full Version : Does this Kung fu site look ok?

Akazmi
02-17-2002, 01:25 PM
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/nbdma/ma.html?mtbrand=AOL_US

This is a kung fu school close to where I live. I don't know much about kung fu but the one thing that strikes (worries?) me is that I cannot pinpoint what style of kung fu this man teaches. In fact, he seems to teach a whole lot of different stuff, including Jujitsu and Shansou, and different techniques from different kung fu styles?
I really want to start up kung fu, just trying to see if this kung fu school is "real". I'm going to go attend some classes, but being a newbie, how can I discern good kung fu from bad?
Thanks for your advice all!

Budokan
02-17-2002, 01:30 PM
The web site says they teach tai chi and bagua. Give it a try; maybe you'll like it.

Akazmi
02-17-2002, 01:34 PM
But if you click under their Kung Fu link at the bottom, and look at their "teaching material" link on that page, I see stuff from Mantis, Wing Chun, Iron Palm, etc. Can one sifu teach all that stuff, and teach it well at that?

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/nbdma/ma.html?mtbrand=AOL_US

is the link to the specific portion of their site detailing what they teach for you lazy guys and gals out there :)

kungfu cowboy
02-17-2002, 01:44 PM
from the site
The True Essence & The Most Complete Martial Arts Discipline School

Wow, you can't do much better than that!:rolleyes:

Akazmi
02-17-2002, 01:46 PM
oops, I meant this is the specific portion of the site with their teaching

http://hometown.aol.com/nbdma/ma3.html

Budokan
02-17-2002, 01:53 PM
To answer your question: No, one sifu can't teach all that stuff and do it well, IMO. Sound like a school that has taken bits and pieces from a myriad of styles and put them all together. I'd research this guy's lineage before I wasted any more time there, if I were you.

Akazmi
02-17-2002, 01:57 PM
That's what I was afraid of... but there is another school nearby that teaches only Hung Kuen and appears to have better lineage. What is Hung Kuen like?

Budokan
02-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Dunno. I'm just a dumb karate guy. But I expect there are some people on this board who can help you with that question.

And I wouldn't totally give up on this other KF school. If you can go and sit in and observe a class you'll probably learn more than you need to know. If nothing else it might be good for a laugh...

Shaolindynasty
02-17-2002, 02:04 PM
This is the cirriculum from their site.

Forms:
* Cross Attack I Long Fist I
*Cross Attack II Long Fist II
* Cross Attack III Long Fist III
* Roaring Tiger Breathing Law
* Dragon & Snake Mixed Styles (Longe & Sair Surng Ying)
* Wing Chun - Sil Lim Tao(little idea)
Chun Kil(Searching the bridge), Bil Jee(shooting fingers)
* Shaolin Lou-han Ch'aun
* Northern Praying Mantis
* Tiger & Crane
* Dragon Palm (Longe-ying Chang)
* Plum-flower Long Fist (Mui-far Chang Ch'aun)
* Six Creatures - The old form was Five Animals. I added an Spiritual Eagle Form into it. (Dragon, Sneak, Tiger, Leopard, Crane, Eagle.)
* Iron String and Iron Shirt
* Buddha Palm ( Master Chau Advanced version)
* Black Dragon Palm
* Formless Form

Weapons:
* Single Dragon Short Stick
* Double Dragon Sticks
* Tonfu
* Double Tonfu
* Sai
* Butterfy Knives
* Single Sabre
* Double Saber
* Dragon Bo-Staff
* Wandering Dragon Bo-Staff
* Three Sectional Stick Techniques(Som-ji Gwan)
* Double-edged Sword
* Long Spear
* Kwan-Do

Internal Forms:
* Tai-Chi -- Chan’s Style, Yang Style, Wu’s Style, Chau’s Style(my creation)
* Tai Chi Sword
* Bagua Palm

It looks to me like they pulled forms from some of the most popular kungfu systems and made a curriculum out of it. I am not going to say anything really negitive about the school seeing as how I haven't met the instructor but this seems like a Mckwoon. The curriculum seems set up to satisfy the public. The bad thing is you probally won't get the depth you would in going to a school that seacializes in one or two styles, the good thing is it will expose you to alot of different things and you can go somewhere to learn in depth later. Still go check it out you might like it. Just be careful and try not to get "sold" anything.

Shaolindynasty
02-17-2002, 02:07 PM
OOps just saw your last reply, go with the Hung Kuen. Good style. If it only teaches Hung then it is probally a better school then this one. In kungfu it's better to learn a little well then allot bad. Also that site has quotes from the kungfu tv series and that doesn't sit well with me.

JasBourne
02-17-2002, 04:48 PM
from the website:

"In conclusion, I strongly believe Mr. Miyagi had learned the Sil Lim Tau. "

I'm just gonna groooooaaann here, ok?

This guy is selling chop suey. Go to a school that teaches one style, not a mish-mash of many. What's the old adage about not fearing the guy with 100 techniques as much as the guy who has 1 technique he practices all day long?

red_fists
02-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Agree.

The plce looks looks like the "lastest flake flavour".

Tai-Chi -- Chan’s Style, Yang Style, Wu’s Style, Chau’s Style(my creation)
He even created his own TCC style, and that at his young age.

* Roaring Tiger Breathing Law
A Form ??

* Six Creatures - The old form was Five Animals. I added an Spiritual Eagle
Now besides doing his own flavour TCC he also added a NEW
Animal.

Iron String
Which Bodypart needs Iron string training. Hurts just to imagine it. :)

Buddha Palm ( Master Chau Advanced version)
Another home cooked Version??

Formless Form
Do I see a contradiction here.

Tonfu
Last time I checked they were still called TONFA[/A].

Just as bad as people training in [B] NUN-CHUCKS or using Chaka-sticks

Sorry, pet-peeve of mine if people don't know the proper names of their Tools and Weapons they should NOT be mentioning some made up ones.
For info they are called NUN-CHAKU and have no other name.

Same with this wannabee way to many english description of Weapons rather than proper names.
(3 sectional staff, etc.)

He lists 2 swords on his curriculum:
Tai Chi Sword
Doube edged Sword.
Hmmm, makes me think.

Anyhuh, he looks as phoney to mas they come.

old jong
02-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Kicked too high again!... (http://members.aol.com/nbdma/images/flying side-kick .jpg) CHIT! :rolleyes:

jaz1069
02-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Hmmm...

I'm surprised to be the first to think this, much less say it...

Does the phrase "Chung - moo - doe" ring a bell?
This looks like the Euro-version.

Perhaps that is not the case here, but my "Spidey-sense" always tingles when I see a place offer so much.

Try it out though, but if they shove a contract in front of you...

Run like the wind!

John

jon
02-17-2002, 07:34 PM
"there is another school nearby that teaches only Hung Kuen and appears to have better lineage. What is Hung Kuen like?"
* There lies your answer, waste no more time and get down to the Hung Kuen school. Its an excerlent art and im into my 5th year of study in it now.
check out this site for a few general Hung Ga details.
www.hungga.net
Seriously you cant go wrong if they have a good linage, do yourself a favor and at least check it out and see for yourself first hand.

dezhen2001
02-18-2002, 04:32 AM
maybe the TONFU are a mixture of TONFA and TOFU (a projectile weapon) techniques? useful if you're ever in a fight at a Chinese restaurant :D

How can you teach Longfist first, and then progress on to Wing Chun? I know from my own experience of both that they develop power etc. in a totally different way, and have different principles. I'm sure it can be done of course, but as seperate studies (?).

Anyway - very nasty designed Website :(
Where does it mention his lineage and background?

Hung Gar sounds good though...but maybe you can check out both and come to your own conclusions.

david

dezhen2001
02-18-2002, 04:36 AM
maybe the TONFU are a mixture of TONFA and TOFU (a projectile weapon) techniques? Very useful if you are ever in a fight at a Chinese restaurant :D

Looked at the site - can't find his background anywhere? Maybe someone can post the link? Also, it just looks plain nasty :(

How can you learn Longfist, and then PROGRESS on to Wing Chun? The body movement and power generation is totally different and very confusing if you do both...i know from my own experience :eek:

Still, a very interesting website...

david

dezhen2001
02-18-2002, 04:37 AM
sorry it posted both guys - my PC was being silly...

- the joke kinda loses it's appeal the 2nd time :(

david

Shaolindynasty
02-18-2002, 08:30 AM
"Seriously you cant go wrong if they have a good linage"

That's bad advice. No matter what the lineage compare each school's abilities and choose from that.

Take me for instance, I am looking for a place to advance my studies in the Chicago land area. Everybody on here is saying "go to Wai Lun Choi's school" sure he has a good reputation and a great lineage(he holds the Liu Ho Pa Fa lineage) but I am not going to join his school until I have seen all my options. Just because he is the most famous doesn't mean he is the best. If he is then I will be joining the school.

So lineage and fame doesn't matter visit all the schools in your area even if they aren't CMA, then make your choice based on what you want. Facts etc. don't matter as much as feelings you get from a place, just listen to your "spidey-sense"

Crimson Phoenix
02-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Lineage is a good indicator, but by no mean a garanty...I could say "I'm student of such and such", it's just name dropping and I'm proving nothing.
When it comes to gong fu, hands speak louder than names.

Shaolindynasty
02-18-2002, 08:52 AM
"When it comes to gong fu, hands speak louder than names."

Yes:D