View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. bust of Lau Kar Leung

Quote Originally Posted by SifuSanti View Post

We will be donating this bust to Lau Kar Leung family in Hong Kong this Aug. We feel this long over due for this great man.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Using Soft to Overcome Hard

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At 1.44, the left arm is used to block a right haymaker. This just remind me a tournament sparring in Hong Kong back in the 70th. A WC guy used his left Tan Shou to block a CLF guy's haymaker. The haymaker not only knock through the WC guy's left Tan Shou, it also hit on the WC guy's head and knocked him down. After that tournament, the WC guy went back to Ip Man (my friend was Ip Man's student and was in the class at the moment). Ip Man then told him to use right Tan Shou plus a body rotation to
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Blocks that work and blocks that don't

The idea of "blocking" may be too conservative. If you can always use your blocking followed by a "wrapping", you can wrap your opponent as an octopus wraps on a fish, your opponent won't be able to punch you again.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. ID this mantis style?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Each method has a purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    well I think it was just a good way to get a beginner to feel the torque, to learn that when you punch one hand forward, you add to the power by pulling opposite shoulder back.
    When I was 11, my brother in law taught me an open hand form "八卦拳(Bagua Quan)" (not from the Bagua system) and a pole form "劈手杆 (Pi Shou Gan)". One day I got into a fight. When I asked him after the fight and told
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. ID this mantis style?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Each method has a purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    well I think it was just a good way to get a beginner to feel the torque, to learn that when you punch one hand forward, you add to the power by pulling opposite shoulder back.
    When I was 11, my brother in law taught me an open hand form "八卦拳(Bagua Quan)" (not from the Bagua system) and a pole form "劈手杆 (Pi Shou Gan)". One day I got into a fight. When I asked him after the fight and told him that
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast