View RSS Feed

Subitai

Chin na: Generally useful?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
Thing about this is most people think of Chin Na as joint locks and for all intents and purposes: some variety of standing chin na at that....NOT ALL YOU GUYS OF COURSE. I'm speaking of the proverbial "THEY".

But it's not really that of course...I was taught that it's anytime you're seizing and holding someone = usually in a vulnerable or compromised position. Can it be literal joint locks? Yes but not always. For example, you hold a guys arm behind his back to control him, yet you're not actually applying pain towards a joint.

Looking at it in that regard, more people (especially grapplers) are able to pull off some useful Chin Na far more often than they realize.

I think Jim and anyone else that mentioned or alluded to the problem of catching a punch is "spot on". That is however always the critical point or crux of the matter isn't it? Entry if you're offensive or reactionary if you like to counter...but either way, it works best if you know how to set the guy up and he gives it to you. For a Tai Chi guy or any style that relys on establishing a "Stick point" or "Bridge"....their bane is literally Mohamed Ali i.e. "Float like a butterfly sting like a bee". Meaning if you cannot establish the necessary contact, it's very difficult to get started.

From my own experience it always works better if you know how to set it up such that the person GIVES you the energy, then it's quite easy to do. I cannot say GIVE enough because if you work these things as much as I do you start to realize when the right times are to apply it and then it becomes easier at that point. Not full proof because nothing ever is, but a much better chance yes.

Often most people sense that you're about to do some sort of Chin Na and then Stiffen up or become strong to counter it...and it almost always works in defeating the chin na attempt. (at least for that particular window) However if you're good, you know what to do when they become "IRON MAN STIFF" and you take advantage of that. Either that, or just accept that it won't work and keep fighting until the next opportunity presents itself....which it always does. Just like a good boxer, who keeps setting up his combinations...eventually they can work for him.

Dos pesos, "O"
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments