View RSS Feed

Subitai

A (?) of TCMA techniques in the modern era

Rate this Entry
by Subitai on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Take empty-hand fighting for example, TCMA places great emphasis on bridging, or creating arm-contact, as a starting point for most fighting applications. And once contact is made, a TCMA fighter will usually use some sort of style-specific hand-method (shou-fa手法) to execute a technique, or seek to create additional contact points before doing so.

While this game plan may sound great in theory and look great in demos, successful execution of it is rarely seen in actual fighting, especially in the ring against trained modern fighters.

Something I wrote earlier on Rumsoakedfist:

"Not everyone likes to bridge and stick with eachother...which is at the very HEART of why allot of Traditional Kung Fu fails vs a more MMA pursuit which usually strikes more WESTERN in nature. I.e. they punch and retract their arm (in order to hit again) very quickly and efficiently.
* You can see when a TMA guy...who is used to dealing with opponents who like to ALSO bridge and stick out there arms >>>>>>> all of the sudden he faces someone who will NOT play his game. This is why you see allot of INEXPERIENCED TMA holding their arms out (reaching out) and not effectively covering themselves vs. a good striker. They are at a loss because they have not learned to deal with it.

Most TMA fail at being able to create a stick point or bridge with a non compliant opponent because of that retraction....

Hence, initially the most obvious way that people would "...drag a boxer out of his comfort zone by using strategies and techniques that are not found in boxing." would be to grapple and take him down... duh!

Aside from that aspect of taking a boxer off his feet (which is a proven method)...if you want to fight with him standing up, you have to STOP HIS ABILITY TO PUNCH. One way is to intercept, catch and / or deny his ability to RETRACT his punch. This can be wrapping him up or getting some sort of hand control... at the very least, tying him up some how.

I've been teaching (obsessed) with this problem ever since my experiences in both MMA and my traditional training met head on together. Proper entering strategies and methods for hand control afterwards are what I focus on teaching the most.

After having fought professionally and on the street this is what I know to be true.

Here in this video at around (50secs) I describe a small example of this: https://youtu.be/m544at1wa00

Below is a Short GIF of Fedor basically doing the same thing.
http://giant.gfycat.com/TameMediumGrackle.gif

I have to stress though...this one simple example is NOT the only way that a TCMA could get an unwilling opponent to leave his arms out long enough to bridge with. There's allot of good concepts that I teach to create these opportunities.

The problem with TCMA is...many or most of the Sifu's teaching out there have NOT fought in strange or foreign venues outside there own worlds. So they cannot possibly make the proper "JUMP" to a more modern venue in a realistic manner. Modern professional fighters are FAR MORE Cross trained, more cardio trained and MORE PREPARED for a real confrontation that any sifu or weekend warrior that just does forms and a little push hands 2xs a week.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments