Thread: choy lay fut weapons

choy lay fut weapons

i want to know how is the correct size of the choy lay fut staff .
    ( diameter and large ) .
    there is differents type of staffs ?

The staff length varies in the staff forms and is in proportion to your height. The diameter in what ever fits in your hand comfortably.

For example. In the single and double ended staff form, you use a staff that's from the ground to your palm when you extend your arm over your head and bend your wrist to 90 degrees angle. In another form you use staff that's reach your finger tips when your arm is extended and wrist straight. And the eye brow height staff naturally uses a staff that's from the ground to your eye brow level.

premier
    Last edited by premier; 02-18-2002 at 09:17 AM.

I can't wait to learn my 1st & favorite weapon the shaolin staff. It looks simple but is very powerfull & deadly. A friend who does Hung ga showed me the Lau gar staff set, a very powerfull & deadly staff set. He showed me some aplications, 1 was u smash the top of the feet then u whip/flick the staff straight up under the opponents chin. Very painful move, he just lightly hit the top of my foot on the bone & it realy hurt. If u hit full force u would probably crush the bone. He also showed a hidden drunken aplication were u whip the staff in the opposite direction while useing drunkern footwork & the waist to generate power.(very deceptive)

I have also seen some of my CLF sihings practicing a staff set & from what i saw u must have very good footwork & a loose/supple waist to generate power & use the staff. In the more advanced stages of CLF, (5yrs & over) what r the staff sets like are they big flashy circular movements or practical direct to weak points or a mix? The level eyebrow staff is that the name of the set or just the staff? & is the king monks staff & the chai mee gwun the same set or 2 different sets?

This years 2nd return to the origin with Chan family CLF, Master Chan Yong Fa will be teaching the Gum Gong Pang (Buddha's Warrior Attendant Cudgel) Sounds like a cool set, has anyone learnt or seen this form?

Joseph X maybe u can help answer some of these, u are like a CLF dictionary. Also on a older thread i remember u guys talking about the nine dragon trident. Master Chan is going to be showing/teaching the Gao Lung Char (Nine Dragon Trident) to Inner Chamber Disciples & Wing Sing Tong Masters at the King Mui Hung Sing Ancestral Gwoon.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

Weapons are nothing more than an extension of your body and limbs, get your basics right and everything will follow suit.

The more difficult weapons are the flxible kind like the Nine Sections Whip and the Rope Dart. You have to make it hard when striking and soft when moving, they are not as easily controlled as a stiff weapon.

I don't know much about Gum Gong Pang, so you have to ask someone at clma.com about it.

Extrajoseph,
    does CLF have a rope dart form? Do you know which lines teaches that form?

Some one told me that in some book by Doc Fei Wong they mention a CLF form - broadsword and chainwhip. Are there really people who do these forms? I guess that must be a very difficult form.

Eddie,

CLF has a rope dart form (Fei Tor), which I have seen a Spanish student of the Chen Family doing it recently. I also learned it when I was young but have not practise it for a long time. CLF has all the Sup Ba Bing Hei (18 kinds of weapons) and more in the form of Kei Moon Bing Hei (unusual weapons) like the wooden stool, double butterfly knives, the fan, the circular disc, the hoe and the rake, etc. Chen Yong- Fa, being the grandson of Chan Yiu-Chi, would probably know most of them.

Sometimes, different weapons are used in each hand, I have not seen a broadsword and chain-whip combination but I have noticed in clfma.com that Master Chen is teaching a broadsword and double edge sword, Yum Yeung Do Gim Set in this year’s Return to the Origin China Tour in December.

The idea behind the yin yang weapons form is to teach the students dexterity and how to use different types of jing at the same time. They are difficult but fun to learn and quite challenging.

JosephX

Joseph a lot of time I haven't see you in clfma.com

JAZA

They have many knowledgeable people in the clfma.com forum, so I try not to embarrass myself there and I still keep an eye on the threads there.

JosephX

Our newest web article

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Also makes an awesome coat hanger

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Also makes an awesome coat hanger
    That's a great idea to get the weapon in the house without upsetting the white tiger mother! Hey Gene, that's also a good opportunity for a new product-line at MartialArtsMart: nine-dragon-trident-STANDS that make your nine-dragon-trident look like a coat rack...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    That's a great idea to get the weapon in the house without upsetting the white tiger mother! Hey Gene, that's also a good opportunity for a new product-line at MartialArtsMart: nine-dragon-trident-STANDS that make your nine-dragon-trident look like a coat rack...
    Ha! Always good to have a weapon near the door, right?