Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Internal" Strength

Additional note,

Train externally too early...and then resume old ways. You can train with weights in an internal fashion, and that is how an internalists builds up their body after learning how to move (IMO).
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

Miscjinx

Greetings..

Sorry, poor choice of words..
    Absolutely, i have sweated my own buckets during internal workouts. I certainly didn't mean to imply that one should go to the gym to "make up" for internal training.. rather, to enhance it.. My own preference is to maintain a lean, wirey, physique.. bulk seems to get in its own way.. One of my past teachers was adamant about training with no more than your own body weight.. "master your own weight, and the weight of others will make no difference". I train for living, not any single aspect of it, but ALL of it.. Internal training is only one of the arrows in my quiver (perhaps my favorite arrow, though)..

By way of analogy.. Suppose we have refined a new super fuel (Chi).. then we are faced with a race for our life.. do i choose a Volkswagon or a Porsche to utilize this new "fuel"?..

Internal/external, i would hope that there is a beneficial balance rather than segregated exclusivity.. As a unified Whole Being my own sense of self is enhanced, as a segregated assembly of concepts i am constantly choosing and judging (wasted effort as i intuit it).. My "intention" is to improve my own life, and.. through the experiences that work for me, share them with others.. i do not assert that i am right/wrong, only that this has been my own experience, i share in the spirit of offering, not forcing.. I have no need to convert someone to my point of view, only to share it..

Be well, be sincere, be compassionate.. the rest will take care of itself..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by miscjinx
    Additional note,

Train externally too early...and then resume old ways. You can train with weights in an internal fashion, and that is how an internalists builds up their body after learning how to move (IMO).
    I agree absolutely with that.

Seeya.

A Volkswagon or a Porsche?

Hmmm....

I'd choose a Porsche 911 Carrera, yellow with blue trim.

But that's just me.

Of course, the Volkswagon is probably more fuel efficient...but the chicks, man, the chicks.