Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Forms/Applications vs. Sparring/Fighting

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I was thinking of the solo training. Like you said, in that time you work on specific parts of your arsenal. I meant to contrast that to those who simply do the whole form, but don't really develop specific moves very much, but I forgot to make that distinction.

Braden Guest
    Just as an aside... I was reading today some articles from prominent JKDers saying that hubud lubud and the like should be discarded from the training program of anyone interested in real combat, as they are not 'alive.' I've got to say, it's the most extremist approach of the phenomenon I've seen yet - rejecting any training method that doesn't consist of trying to lay the smack down on someone trying to lay the smack down on you. Although, it's worth noting that they're not, as of yet, logically consistent - they still advocate all sorts of weight training.

It's just such an unfortunate trend. More and more, the perception of a 'real martial artist' in our society is someone who is a powerlifter who hits his friends regularly. I guess the idea of 'defeating the larger, stronger, faster, younger man with skill' is going the way of the Dodo.

well, i suspect it's like any idea we discover or rediscover. we go overboard. every time. someone twigs to the idea that aliveness is important in practice rather than just going through the motions. then before you know it, aliveness is the most important thing. then the only thing.

then, eventually, we come back to some sort of balance.

i hope.

stuart b.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    "So in that respect I don't think you can compare them to form work as they will change, they leave the standardized format behind, to learn to be free and flow. "

It seemed as thought Kung-Fu Keeps the standardized format to learn to be free and flow. A form is a database from which any technique or combination of techniques or partial techniques can be gotten after enough practice and understanding.

Sevenstar Praying Mantis founder supposedly knew eighteen styles of Kung-Fu and encorporated praying mantis flavor to these already understood styles. The styles sometimes conmsisted of a Single technique.

The Gentlemanly Art has techniqes that supposedly work or have their strong points or uses (that why they were there)~. Some of these single techniques accentuate their individual devestatingness like super combos in an arcade fighting game. Combinatins lead to victory. A Kung-Fu form is designed for tailoring combinations. Some of these might get highlighted on instruction of the form. Boxing uses signas to start a combination. So would the Filipino Martial Arts I might think. If they do that, then you do this. If it works this good do this if it works that good do that--mental and strategic. Boxing has fewer techniques than Kung-Fu per se. With so few techniques They can be remembered like arobic steps or routine or dance. Just throw together what works togetheror looks good. A method for retaining a great number of techniques is forms like a song in a language you don't speak you can recall all the parts. Eventually you can decipher the phrases. And one day one might even understand what is being said.

Do what you are shown as best you can. Repeat it (when you can understand and perceive the improvements, you would be instructed with refinements to get it even closer to perfect). Use it where it fits. What works and what helps it work. An Artist paints the Form. Technique or two hundred techniques, it all form~.

You posters have seen forms but don't know people who Do Forms. If you don't see KCElbow's earlier points~

I No_Know, but at Least some of you Really No_Know. Since your understanding or maturity is such that you don't care, that works out. But then, so do all of you. What ever you do. Whyever you do it. You all seem to be doing it. And that can be what matters. Good for you all.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com