Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TaeKwon Doh!

Tae Kwon Do is essentially Koreanized Shotokan Karate. Early TKD practitioners did Shotokan forms and this is well documented. Later on new forms were invented or 'rediscovered', the stances generally elevated, and nationalistic elements added. Some of the kicks were changed to match Korean preferences. I cannot see how anyone could link modern TKD with the fighting arts of a military order dating back to the 6th to 8th century, as this is hard to prove and accurately document. I think the Koreans should be proud of what they did with Shotokan Karate, and should be honest about its origins.
    Last edited by Boffo; 06-07-2002 at 09:38 PM.

Sorry a bit off the thread, Push up England... Great ball today!

World Cup coverage in US=S*cks! Enjoy everyone else...

Originally posted by yu shan

World Cup coverage in US=S*cks! ...

'cause nobody gives a rat's ass about that mind-numbingly boring waste of time.

'cause nobody gives a rat's ass about that mind-numbingly boring waste of time.

Unlike your world series right? Now thats a true world wide sport.

We play base ball in the UK to. Infact we invented it. We call it rounders and its only played by school girls.

While im on it basket ball is very similar to net ball......also only played by school girls? Odd that.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Originally posted by Liokault
    Ouch. That hurts!

We play base ball in the UK to. Infact we invented it. We call it rounders and its only played by school girls.
    I'm an American who thinks baseball is a girlie sport. So I find this really funny!

While im on it basket ball is very similar to net ball......also only played by school girls? Odd that.
    There were lots of games that were similiar to basketball before it was 'invented'.

I will give you English credit for inventing soccer. Oops, I mean 'football'.

TKD was invented by the Korean army in 1949 as a form of calisthenics. Hapkido is the art! (korean kung fu), usually not taught to americans who would rather be involved in sports. TKD kicks are weak, jumping off the ground, spinning on toes, why would you even try to kick someone in the head anyway but for the stupid point system ? no short range techniques, keep your elbows down for christ sakes! How many jocks get fifty bucks a month to teach kids how to count to ten in Korean? TKD gives TMA a bad name.

Originally posted by greendragon
    TKD was invented by the Korean army in 1949 as a form of calisthenics. Hapkido is the art! (korean kung fu), usually not taught to americans who would rather be involved in sports. TKD kicks are weak, jumping off the ground, spinning on toes, why would you even try to kick someone in the head anyway but for the stupid point system ? no short range techniques, keep your elbows down for christ sakes! How many jocks get fifty bucks a month to teach kids how to count to ten in Korean? TKD gives TMA a bad name.
    Isn't Hapkido a mix of Japanese Aikido and various Korean striking styles? Well, thats what my Hapkido friend says.

As for your issues with TKD:

1. For power, it depends on the person doing the technique, just like in any martial arts style. I've seen lousy Kung Fu stylists and I've seen extremely powerful TKD people, and vice versa. It is the person and teacher, not the style!

2. TKD isn't a TMA. As far as I know it has never claimed to be such. Some use it for self-defense and preach it as a self-defense art, but most I know practice and teach it as a sport. Judo is a sport. Fencing is a sport. Wrestling is a sport. Yet you never hear people complain about those styles being unrealistic.

What gives TMA a bad name is the arrogance of the practitioner.

is there a mandatory course on this in Uk schools? I've never met a slave to the british monarchy who hadn't prepared just such a speech. Kinda sad folks would spend so much time thinking about this stuff. Say what you will about Americans, but most have the sense to realize that soccer just plain sucks and leave it at that. good luck with the inferiority complex...

(with apologies to the non-****head UKers)

chingei

is there a mandatory course on this in Uk schools?
    Yup its called history.....we have to learn some as we have a history.

Also I agree that football (your soccer) sucks but I can not help but feel that you americans do not like it only because your no good at it!!
    And what ever way you look at it it is a true world wide sport.
    How many countries play "american football"? (we call it rugby over here and its only plays by gay upper class school boys). How many countries really compete at base ball? Now how many play and compete at football?.......Most of the world.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Yup its called history.....we have to learn some as we have a history.
    yes you do. and you might want to keep it to yourself. its a mess.

...other than the glorious Malvinas War

(we call it rugby over here and its only plays by gay upper class school boys). .
    you sure do seem to know a lot about school children and gays. but, hey, whatever turns you on.

certainly explains the fascination with soccer though.

Green Dragon where do you get your info?

"TKD was invented by the Korean army in 1949 as a form of calisthenics."

TKD wasn't invented, unless the Koreans invented Shotokan. Originally it was a fighting art and not a sport.

"Hapkido is the art! (korean kung fu), usually not taught to americans who would rather be involved in sports."

Hapkido says it came from Aikijitsu and Korean kicking techniques, where do you get the kung fu connection?

"TKD kicks are weak, jumping off the ground, spinning on toes, why would you even try to kick someone in the head anyway but for the stupid point system?"

TKD, Hwarang Do, Kuk Sool and Hapkido use many of the same kicks. Have you ever been kicked in the head by a WTF fighter?

"no short range techniques, keep your elbows down for christ sakes!"
    Many of us do.

"How many jocks get fifty bucks a month to teach kids how to count to ten in Korean?"
    Too many

"TKD gives TMA a bad name."
    And you give clueless people a bad name.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Chingei,Liokault

Just a point of order !

There are 2 forms of rugby - the most widespread and popular is Rugby Union and the second is called Rugby League.

The second form came about because working class men were not allowed to receive payment for missing day shifts in coal mines. In those days if you missed a shift in a mine you were not paid so some of the blokes wanted money to cover expenses and loss of earnings.

I prefer the second form as it's not played by gay upper class folk (LIOKAULT )