Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending against a Hockey Fighter

Defending against a Hockey Fighter

I've been caught with this before and it is not a fun position. I was up in Calgary Canada and drunk in a local bar ( per usual in my younger days ). I don't remember exactly how it escalated but before I knew it my sweater was over my head, my arms were tied up and this guy was feeding me some pretty big haymakers. It went so fast and it was such an unorthodox attack that I couldn't counter. His left arm (which was the one that was holding me) was locked straight so I could not get into a clinch and his reach was alot longer than mine so I couldn't punch; it really didn't matter anyways since my sweater was wrapped around my arms. I'm just wondering, how do you counter this, assume that he's already "Jerseyd" you. I'd love to hear from the Canadians here.

Oh to be 19 again.

uh, well, you don't want to have the back of your shirt pulled over your head, so you should try not to wind up in a position where that happens.

It happens on ice because guys fall forward when pulled on skates, but to be "jerseyd" as you say, while not on ice, well, it can be avoided.

You must've been pretty drunk.

anyway, if you feel you are being pressed down go with it, go left or right and a rising spin and cross step up and out. press away or step away. remember to turn around because after you spin out of the grab at your shirt, you will have your back facing, so you have to turn one more time.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Only thing to do

Take it from a Canadian, only real way to get out of it is to have a few friends around to smack the guy around after he gets a good grip on you. When your friends have a good grip of him you can put his shirt around his head and smack him back. Kung Lek your answer is very technical and probably works, but i doubt when the problem arises someone will remember to spin around and then again and grab this and that. Not unless you have a super memory and can memorize those moves, and utilize them correctly without p*ssing the guy enough to just hit you with a beer bottle instead WHILE YOUR DRUNK. Usually when someone is attacking you and your probably drunk you won't remember any kung fu moves except the ones you remember from the jackie chan movie you just watch. All you have to do to prevent this is to get a good pack of friends to come with you when you go to a bar. Enough so that you have back up if someone is ****ing on you, or enough to calm you down before you do something stupid and get someone to tuck your head under your shirt. This pack of friends can intimidate those cowboys or at least warn you your doing something stupid but don't know it because it's a local signal thing that no one out of town would know. Oh, and get a good old local to come with you, they can warn you on who you should avoid.

That is advice to AVOID, not to get out of. But to logic avoiding a problem before it escalates is better.
    if you never get into a fight,
    you can never be defeated,
    if you can never be defeated,
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

what is a tree without its roots? what is a man without his arts?

Suicide is the cowards way out...

1rst thing I'd say is: Don't get drunk...you'll be amazed what you can actually do with a clear head and better motor skills...

2nd thing I'd say is slide out of your shirt if you can. I've actually done that with a judogi LOL. But the guy wasn't punching...

Can't really punch or move forward in that position, so I'd say slide or rip out of your shirt. If it's a heavy sweater, etc. you're screwed

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Hehe, you got jersied! There is nothing you can do against a hockey fighter. It is by far the most effective form of fighting. Hockey fighting masters (such as Mr. Domi) can defeat any known master, including the late Yip Man and Bruce Lee.
    Err jk
    I've been playing hockey for 13 years, and even though I'm a goalie, I've gotten in a few nasty fights. Hockey fighting is all about BALANCE. Both keeping your own balance and disturbing your opponent's balance so they let their guard down so you can punch them in the face. It's a lot harder to throw a punch at full force but still keep your balance than it looks. Because of this, I'd imagine that a hockey player would have a fairly wide stance that doesn't guard their groin, so a kick to the nuts would probably go undefended.
    Having your shirt pulled over your head, or being "jersied" shouldn't happen if you're ready for it. If he walks up to you and does it, well you're screwed for now, just skate back (err jump back) out of his reach. If he still has your shirt, slip your arms out and let him hold on to it for now, you can take it back after you kick his @ss. Remember that you have to jump back, you can't just try to take it off or he'll use one hand to hold your shirt (and hands) down, and punch the hell out of you with the other hand. You'll be out before you can wiggle your arms free.
    Fighting as a goalie is bloody hard. A player can just flick his wrist and my helmet would be off, but I would have to spend time ripping his straps off. Some players who fight a lot will tape their straps to their helmet, making it virtually impossible to take it off.
    Last edited by KungFuGuy!; 02-20-2002 at 12:41 AM.

Did he inflict you a major waygee (**** how do you spell that?? Wedgee?? whatever, you got the pic) too?? Because if not you could have at least tried to kick like a fury in front of you...or knee...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

ok, the first thing to do is to pi$s your pants (see thread about urinating yourself so you dot get a ruptured blader incase they hit you there)... beyond that, i dont know.
    S.Teebas

and be sure to remember to add that due to the weakness of the canadian dollar and the over expansion of the NHL, hockey is now actually an official American sport and he should go back to his Molsen and Bryan Adams records and leave you alone.

How to handle a hockey fighter? That's easy---don't go anywhere without Marty McSorley! (Hey, it worked for Gretzky!)

Hey, didn't Marty train under a pro boxer in the 80's to enhance his protection skills?

Yeah everyone in Canada play's hockey???

Try that pull the shirt over my head crap ...

Kick to the babies!!

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

LOL! After the jersey bit did he then give you a Titty Twister and an Indian Burn...?

Like someone said before---You must've been drunk!
    K. Mark Hoover

Where you asking for it? If you were high sticking, I'd say you had it coming.

Smile licking beer...

If someone grabbed me with a straight arm I would grab that arm and pull him around like a rag doll. Even with my head covered. I would try to twist him like a corkscrew to the ground. Ending with an arm bar with the hockey player face down licking beer off the floor.

Easier said than done, of course, but that’s what I would do.

I know a hockey player who beat up a ‘karate guy’ once. He said the karate guy came out of his car, did a few stretch high kicks, approached him and threw a kick at his head. The hockey guy just charged in and pinned the karate guy against a car – and proceeded to punch his face several times.

Hockey guy said he was scared at first. But the guy had nothing after that first kick.

Godzilla

Kung Leks post about going with, soinning it out is the exact thing I did YEARS ago when this happend on me. (yes in a real fight) That izzn't very 'tecnical',, it's just logical to me. I did not even have any MA training back then.. I think it's like asking.. "what to do when someone kicks ya"
    silly question
    I wonder how it is to fight on ice.. Must be tough
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."