Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you currently working on?

Hybrid View

What are you currently working on?

In your practice?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

EVERYTHING!

For real. I'm new to internal. I'm focusing on walking/kicking (proper weight) and the first few palms. The first one is a doozy. So much in it. I'm still not happy with the way I'm pulling it off and I doubt I ever will be.

I do have to say I am becoming comfortable with the two handed shielding and this alone has been the biggest break through in my martial art life.

There's so much. Each class I'm blown away. I try to be like a spunge and take it all in, but if I can get home with 2 or 3 concepts to work with, I'm a happy man.

How about you?

Originally posted by EvolutionFist

How about you?
    1. Diagonal Cutting
    2. Beng Quan

That should keep me busy until summer.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

My S. Mantis teacher was getting heavy into diagnal cutting and different angles to deliver element type blows when I was introduced to my sifu. Its interesting, seeing blows come from a big man from unexpected angles. And the energy is deep, hard to deal with.

I was just thinking about that on my train ride home from class last night.

I'm sure your's has that special internal flavor to it though (man, these art's are great).

Well, enjoy. Have fun and good usage.

Ray

I'm working on what we call "positive" and "negative" circles. These are hand/arm movements done in conjunction with movement of the kua. I've recently had some extra correction on these and I clearly have lots of work ahead of me to do them well.

Seeya

I just recently switched teachers (due to a move) and am now working on a new Tai Ji form (my teacher makes you learn Tai Ji prior to moving on to Xing Yi and Ba Gua). Only gotten maybe a quarter through the form, so that's what my focus is on right now.

It has been difficult for me to switch from Xing Yi to Tai Ji but I feel I'm finally making some progress! Also started doing some push hands, which is a nice change of pace. (I can't wait until I start doing more non-cooperative sparring!)
    I'm also concentrating more on Zhang Zhuang and Nei Gung than before.

KG

My class practice is starting the Er Lu Chen style tai chi form (aka Cannon Fist).

As for what am I working on personally, I’m paying more attention to turning about the centerline (particular in motion – ie stepping) and staying relaxed (particularly my shoulders and neck, which are the tighest spots for the moment). Also I am doing a sort of Taiji Boing…I am working on the coiling and uncoiling of the internal mechanics. Basically a everyday equivalent would be turning a door knob with my entire body from the center instead of my wrist and upper arms. Useful when applying and getting out of joint locks, for example.

I’m in the mood to spar with someone, so I am looking for any takers.

That’s the overview of the summary.
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

or is that Taiji Bang?

Sorry, that is what I get for divided attention.
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

Wink

Relaxing, intention, ability to change in a free and natural manor.
    enjoy life

Hi, I am working on practicing Baguazhang. Lately I have been working on twisting my forearms with as little effort as possible throughout whatever exercise I am doing. I have also been working on circlewalking. I am letting the weight continue to drop down the back leg as I shift forward. I am also trying to keep the arms and everything else light, loose, smooth, relaxed and easy. Also I have been trying to engage the psoas muscles while I move so that they are active, but not tensed up. In two person practice I am trying to keep my forearms rotating and attached to my partner, to keep twisting and moving without putting too much force out.

-Jess

E-fist

"I do have to say I am becoming comfortable with the two handed shielding and this alone has been the biggest break through in my martial art life. "

Wassa matta, they didn't teach you double blocks in Wing Chun?

-FJ

I've never seen anything like I'm seeing now.

I always thought I'd go look into the internal when I was 35 or so. I am so glad that life has dropped my into it full bore now.

I thought what Bamboo Leaf said was great. I still hold some of that external tension in my punching, especially in class. I need to relax more. Just my personality. Not that I worry per se, but that I think too much sometimes.

I am practicing a version of Beng Quan called Niu Bu Beng Quan. It's a diagonal beng quan, in a 45° angle. It's different from the classical beng quan in the way the power is expressed. The force comes from the torquing of the waist, not from a straight line from the heels up.

I find it to be more powerful than Ba Bu Beng Quan, so I'm working on it in terms of speed and penetration. I'm also working on the sinking of the weight to gain more root.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

i'm working on getting as low as possible in my walking. fLIcking legs feel like lead right about now. also practicing from a slightly bent stance dropping into a deep ba gua stance and moving as quickly as possible. trying to shrink and move as much as possible and as fast as possible.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Baji basics. The stance, the eight basic strikes (especially the first and "simplest" of them -- your "typical" punch) and the Small Form. **** -- working the basics in Baji takes forever.

Secondarily: refining my Taiji form.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake