Thread: environment

environment

how do you guys use it. environment meaning not just whats around. for instance your opponent has earing or face percings. do you consider that, or the clothing they are wearing. and how do you guys differ from the studio, to the street.
    "you can take my life, but not my confidence"
    Jimmy H. Woo

We've been training outdoors (various weather, lighting, ground surface, etc. conditions). It has been one of the most eye opening periods in my personal training. I'm not "above" training in a studio, but I will never train in one exclusively again.
    Monkey vs. Robot

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Have you heard the story about a well known master of evil tai chi called Dr. Yang Sze humiliating a bjjer with martial feng shui?
    Now thats what im talking about.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

I make it a practice to always check out my surrounding when walking around, or even in doors.

When walking in the city somewhere late night, usaully somewhere sketchy-ish because that's were late night parties take place, I notice when people are aproaching. I generally tend to stay on the opposite side of the street. Notice parked cars. Try to time our intersecting with an advantages position to use cars, poles, as a disecter, afording a moment to flee.

If the street is very narrow, say a one way on the west side, I'll walk in the street. I just feel safer there then hugging the wall of an apartment complex where someone can pop out of an alley.

Pay attention: that's just a general good rule.

People pretty much wear their intentions either in their body language, face, or eyes. But with thats said, no stranger should enter one's personal space (holding the imaginary ball)

"for instance your opponent has earing or face percings"

People who have facial piercings in excess give me the impression of weakness, as it is impossible to fight or train with such features. I had them and removed them, and understand the disadvantages.

I always size up my opponents in context.

I had my ear pieced in 8th grade, back in like '88 or so. Then I got my nose pierced in 94.

The nose ring came out a few years ago when I started fighting with S. Mantis guys on a regular bases. We wore faces cages, but I realized how dangerous that could be. Not getting grabbed, but merely stuck on a sweater. The adreniline would get my through it at the time, but it would hurt like abit(h sooner or later.

The earing came out soon later.

I agree 100% with Evolutionfist!! I do everything he does. Hanging around shady area's makes you like this.
    Also, if I see any piercings, that's my FIRST target. It's gonna hurt like a mutha to get a ring ripped out of your ear or nose.

Just what I do!!

i pay attention to people like evolution does, but don't take it to his level. i wouldn't cross the street.
    i always notice who is coming close to me, and notice their posture and their dress. those construction boots that are barely laced that mad hip hop kids wear....dumb move. so i know i have a head up on those types, cuz they will most likely not be able to kick as efficiently. also, how does the guy walk...does he swagger like he's the sh!t? if so, could translate to poor balance. where are his hands? in a pocket? if so, do i pass on the pocketed hand hoping to trap it, or do i pass on the unpocketed side, putting more distance between between me and the pocket? this is decided by the energy of the person and by my gut response.
    when ever i'm in a store or a place where i and everyone else are more idle, i notice my distance to people and what would be my first target.
    i always stare at targets when i see people. rarely do i look people in the face except when i have to.
    evolution, we should chill man. you sound like you get up in the city often. what kind of parties do you hit up?

oh and i used to have my eyebrow pierced back in '93 and i felt like i was just asking for it to be ripped out. bad decision that didn't last long.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

His eye sockets and my fingers count as enviroment? Oh, and that is his problem if he was dumb enough to start something while having 'enviromental hazards'
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

Our latest ezine offering - please share!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So it sounds like you're saying your training must involve some free running, too?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Running away is always the first option...

...I'm too old for 'free' running but I like to watch.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Once I attended a school years ago, a student arrived in our class session sweating all over. And he was wearing shorts. The instructor there critizied him slightly of hygiene matter and manner. Yeh, we should pay attention to such things, especially when we are going to have contact training exercise with other students.

As for other environment, I usually train outdoor. Safety is the paramount factor to consider. The next factor is the air condition. So if rains, I will train indoor.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong