Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unconventional strength training

Originally posted by tri2bmt
    Have you ever played Hackey Sack? That'll do your cooridination, balance a workout. Fun too.
    I am always playing hackey sack in school. I usually get in trouble for it and any martial arts or meditation that I do. It does help with coordination though.

New Jersey--where the weak are killed and eaten

Dinosaur training

Hey.
    The exercise with two heavy weights in each hand that you then walk with is called the farmer's walk. Dumbells are the best to use at first; it will strengthen your legs, back and grip--make sure you use somethinhg that will assist your grip.
    Lifting akward objects will build your strength too.
    There is a training referrede to as Dinsosuar trainign where they do such a thing.
    They lift anvils, or canvas bags filled with sand or weight plates; the shifting weight needs more control than a standard plate.
    Try this: Take a barbell weight, at least 35 pounds, and try to pick it up by the edge and lift it up. Hard. Or, for forearm, lift a sledgehammer by the handle and try to lift it up with one hand.

How about bending freebar with your bare hands. (you know that stuff that is placed inside the cement to add support.)

OR wearing a 30 pound vest with 2.5 pound leg weights at all times.

Or Attaching some 5 foot long bungie cords to tree trunks. Get a hold of them and stand a few feet away and start punching away.

Rock climing(enuff said).

Get a large back pack and fill it with a rock ever few miles. And don't stop until it is full.

Get some rope and make a harness. Attach the ropes to your car or truck and start pulling your car to
    where you want to go

Jump on Jupiter(not possible. ha ha ha)

Unconventional Strength Training

What do you do for strength that isn't exactly mainstream? I like activities that have multiple purposes, which I call true multitasking.

I walk fair distances at work and purposely carry a briefcase. I'd estimate it may get up to 20lbs or more.

I just finished splitting 4 cords of wood.

How about you?
    Last edited by madhusudan; 09-19-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if the epitome of CMA is dancing like a transgender Uyghur acrobat with down syndrome, then by all means.

To clarify, I'm interested in how people integrate strength training into their existing routine / life instead of an actual workout. For example, squeezing a gripper during a subway commute.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if the epitome of CMA is dancing like a transgender Uyghur acrobat with down syndrome, then by all means.

Blog Entries
    I'll let my right hand to grab on my left wrist. My right hand tries to hold on tight while my left hand tries to break the grip. Sometime my right hand wins. Other time my left hand wins.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I'm in the masonry trade. Sometimes when I stock concrete blocks, instead of letting them hang and swinging them upwards, (the natural motion used when you carry two and stock them,) I'll grab the middle web and extend my arm horizontally parallel to the ground. It develops the grip and forearm. Things like lifting scaffold up a jump with one arm, instead of two, bringing the 80 pound mortar bags to my chest and throwing them.

A lot of what I do is already heavy work, but the weight is usually consistent and lifted the same way, so your always using certain muscles. I try to occasionally change up the way I naturally pick up and carry things to work out different muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Ripping Trees Out of the Ground & Hauling Them On Your Back/Head, Walking Them Away

The other year I did a lot of work clearing about 1.5 acres of land full of saplings/ young trees growing up. Before you couldn't even walk through anywhere, everything was growing up everywhere. Now the space is more opened up, still enough trees (I did leave some saplings) but is more park-like with paths. I also cleared around the old stone wall enclosure (hundreds of years of top soil/dirt building up) to where the base in the wall was. I did everything by hand, no machines. I used a hand-saw to get trees down that were way too big for me to just pull up. Sometimes I also dug some of the bigger tree's roots up with a shovel, but I used no power machines, those are too invasive, just some good elbow grease.

I would make piles of the young trees near where I pulled them up, and then lift up a large pile, and get it over my head, slinging it on top of my back and the top of my head for support. I would walk up, hauling the stuff to where it needed to be dumped, sometimes 1/8- 1/4 of a mile away at the town dump, hauling the heavy, burdensome load. I felt like I was carrying loads on my back to build an earthern pyramid or something, like someone long ago in the past, except in my case I was preventing the jungle from growing back and taking root over some of the ruins from underneath the forest floor.

Also when I worked in a Produce Dept. for 7-8 years, I liked to tear up the thicker watermelon bins to shreds with my grip strength. Everyone was going for their knives until they saw I was actually tearing it (some are thicker than others). I liked finding creative solutions to things like that.

"Unconventional" Strength training is cool because it makes your body work in ways that it isn't usually used to work in.
    It's not better (or worse) than conventional, just different.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What's harder is relaxing while taking a dump.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is the "unconventional" strength training I would be up for..............

Name:  mqdefault.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  10.0 KBName:  BP Girl.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  5.2 KBName:  BG0pP.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  36.2 KB
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

most powerful unconvention training

99 power qigong

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I read somewhere that the number of points of contact you need to stand up is a good estimator of overall health. Since then I trained pistol squats and stand up on one leg as often as possible.
    Last edited by Cataphract; 02-23-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Unlike the thread starter. I never really exercised while working or walking or driving, etc.

Unconventional training which is sort of main stream now. Swinging a sledge. Chopping wood. Sawing wood. Carrying concrete bags. Hammering a tire with 22 oz. But for the most part this stuff was chores, LOL. I turned into workouts so maybe sort of like the thread starter.

Forearms, abs back and legs got a lot of work hammering/chopping stuff. Concrete( Portland cement) bags are like 90 pounds so pretty heavy for me worked arms forearms fingers traps really good.

But, Id tell most people just use weights or cals. I'm not a huge fan of isometrics. Dynamic Tension stuff is okay but again, I say weights. Chest expanders are also real good. I have a 250lb handgripper. I don't use it at all anymore. I used to be able to close it 3 times right 2 times left , all the way. I don't have big hands. I'm a small guy.

Quote Originally Posted by madhusudan View Post
    What do you do for strength that isn't exactly mainstream?
    i'm a stone mason, i mix mortar with a shovel, push wheelbarrows of rocks and concrete, climb scaffolding with hook hands, i juggle three 9lb iron balls, digging with a spud bar and pick axe to name a few.
    I like activities that have multiple purposes, which I call true multitasking.
    everything has multiple purposes - there are numerous martial applications in all body movements. good thing about my job is i don't ever need to go to the gym and i get my bills paid...

I walk fair distances at work and purposely carry a briefcase. I'd estimate it may get up to 20lbs or more.
    no comment.

I just finished splitting 4 cords of wood.
    i'm on my second truck load of logs this year putting my tally at about 14 cords so far this winter - moreso now cuz the girlfriend is cooking maple sap down...

How about you?
    i do all kinds of stupid stuff.