Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

I never took any martial art other than goju ryu Karate.But what I see and hear it seems to me that karate sort of Rules.
    Karate ,a great way of life

Originally posted by S.Teebas

Someone mentioned earlier that kyokashinkai has breath control, i can verify this. They do concentrate on breathing, but i dont know to what degreee this is developed (ie is it comparable ot qi-gung??) I recall the advanced students breathing extrememly deeply during katas. (katas?...i assume it was a kata, could be somthing else?...i dunno)

Karate kicks ass!
    Well i think that qi gong has more then just breathing exercises. Don't most arts have breathing excercises any ways? From what i know qi gong is a bit more, like focusing on areas and cleansing the body and a whole bunch of different stuff. It's learning how to control your chi, and to move it around your body with your mind also. (Well, i don't know much about qi and anyone can probably fix up my points on qi, especially a professional)

(If i am TOTALLY off, don't call me an idi*t please just inform me on my mistakes so i can fix it up in the future. I am still on the process of reading Jwing Ming Yang's books, which are really long, i only read the first page and the stuff above is what i can assume what qi gong consists of in a brief discription)
    if you never get into a fight,
    you can never be defeated,
    if you can never be defeated,
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

what is a tree without its roots? what is a man without his arts?

Suicide is the cowards way out...

I really enjoy reading books on traditional karate, well all arts in general. I really enjoyed a book by Mas Oyama called essential karate. It has many movements and techniques that most Kung Fu styles hae.

You don't know what style OYAMA taught!!!!!????!?!?!!?!?!

KARATE SUCKS!!!! KARATEKA SUCK!!!! EVERYONE SUCKS!!!!

Had to add a spark to the thread!!!

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

I think Mas Oyama founded Kyokushin. He was a tough cookie - my year 10 Japanese teacher said he saw a tape of Oyama taking on a charging bull, apparently he broke off its horns with his forearms and finnished it off with a punch to the head.

Tinman- That is why you ARE the tinman. And not anything cool, like Ironman!

Asia- Good work!

Mister Hansome- When I used to take TKD, it also had breath work, but I definately wouldn't call it gi gong

Anton- I sincerely doubt it.

I respect Karate. But many of the points given are pros, what about the cons of Karate? How come many of you are no longer taking Karate? It kinda sounds like many ppl on hear are saying that Karate is a lot stronger than kung fu. Or tougher, more efficient, or in some cases better.

Anton--it's fairly widely known that the "bulls," were well past their prime, had been somewhat drugged up in a few cases, and the horns had been partially (MOSTLY) sawed through. I wish I could find the specific pages, but none of the original guys who trained with Oyama even argue about them being faked.

Aww, a sweet martial childhood myth shattered....ah, the humanity.

Question Sou jya nai to omoimasu!!

Merryprankster,

I am a long time Kyokushin practioner. I have met and trained with Oyama and with many of the "old school" pple. It was a well known that many of the bulls Oyama fought where not the strapping ones seen in a Bullfighting ring, the time he did take one he ended up gored and almosted died. But where did you get the "DRUGGED" and "SAWED" thing from? I have NEVER heard this from the kyokushinkai the only ones that spoke negative of this were Oyama's ill admirors.

FYI Bullfighting by Karateka and Kung Fu players was actually common. What Oyama did was not new he capitalized the most of his because he made a show of it.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Well Asia, in that case, you know more than I do by first hand experience. It doesn't interest me enough to research it, so I'll take your word for it.

And I don't mean to knock Kyokushinkai...Or Oyama for that matter. Tough folks.

Thumbs up

Childhood myth reborn! Yay!

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

When properly trained, karate is excellent, as with any other style. I have a japanese friend whose faster than anyone I've ever seen. there's no name to his style, he only calls it "traditional japanese karate" he knows all of the shotokan forms, and forms from other styles. His throws are awesome as are his kicks. at only 155 lbs, he hits hader than MA I know that outweigh him by 50 lbs.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Dammn... the "real" Ryu?
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Bluming talks about bulls

http://www.musashi.nl/RealTruthframe.htm

Hmmm Naf, interesting.

But it's here

http://www.musashi.nl/Bluming/3.gif

Put your pointer in the lower right hand corner of the picture and you'll get a button that enlarges it so you can read the darn thing.

Asia

Do you know anything about Seido kai, it's the art that the late Andy Hug of K1 studied; It looks very similar to Kyokoshin.