Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Archery

Archery

Hi. I am going to take up archery, and I know someone mentioned that they either make or have a line on someone who crafts hand made native american bows. I can't remember if that was on this forum or someone I talked to in real life.

Is that you Goldenbrain? Hook me up brother.

Anyone got a connection? Not looking to purchase immediately but I will be looking at some point in the not to distant future.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Archery is a blast. I love my bow. It's not a traditional bow though. It's a bad ass composite. I remember when it was hard to pull, now I'm thinking it's time for a heavier one. My uncles bow is insane, he can absolutely bury them arrows. I don't really know much about brands and all that, but it's mos def a ton of fun.

It's weird, in every sport I favour my right hand, but with archery I'm far more accurate with my left. Maybe somebody who is into this stuff can help me understand that. With firearms I find shooting right handed is quite steady, but with the bow it's the other way around.
    Last edited by Syn7; 08-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.

I thought we had an archery thread

We have a Chinese archery and Mongolian archery thread and it comes up on over a hundred post now, but we don't have a general archery thread it seems, so perhaps this will be it. I'm moving it to ORA.

I dabbled in Kyudo and western archery, but it wasn't much more than some friends showing me the ropes...or rather, the string.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm not sure your parents are going to allow you play with sharp instruments...tell em its for your boyscout merit badge.

Gene what did you think of Kyudo or archery in general?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I'll probably shoot my eye out.

Gene I'm also curious your experience between kyudo and western archery method.

was your kyudo more of an effeciency or meditative style? from what i can tell kyudo is pretty much broken down between those two approaches. one steming from military, emphasising the technical aspects of archery development, the other approaching shooting from a much more contemplative zen mindset.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Yup, that was me. I created a thread a while back about how to build a traditional Choctaw bow and arrows but I deleted it due to lack of interest and I really didn't like the way I put it together. It's just really hard to convey how to do this sort of primitive work without video and I'm not into posting videos of myself. I'm kind of shy like that I guess.

Below are a couple of links with basic instructions to get you started. Honestly, I'd recommend buying a commercial long bow to get you into the sport and then make one of these on the side. Once you make your own you'll never go back but it may take you several tries to get it just right so you'll wan't to have something to play with while you learn the art.

How to build a Choctaw bow:
    http://www.choctawschool.com/home-si...octaw-bow.aspx

Examples of different kinds of Choctaw bows with dimensions:
    http://www.choctawnationculture.com/...nd-arrows.aspx

How to make a Choctaw war arrow:
    http://www.choctawschool.com/home-si...war-arrow.aspx

Support Native Craftsmanship

Hi. I am going to take up archery, and I know someone mentioned that they either make or have a line on someone who crafts hand made native american bows. I can't remember if that was on this forum or someone I talked to in real life.

Anyone got a connection? Not looking to purchase immediately but I will be looking at some point in the not to distant future.
    Hi,
    Cool idea! I just wanted to say that if you (or generally anyone) are looking for a Native American bow, and are going to pay money for this, make sure you actually support native crafts-people. I think there was a law passed not too long ago that non-native people do not have the right to sell "Native American crafts" and pass it off as authentic Amer. Indian. Another reason is that Amer. Indian people who do take up craftsmanship rely on this as an supplementary income, and there is much competition from non-native fake craftsmen.
    One vendor/ craftspeople on the east coast where I live is the Wandering Bull (wanderingbull.com). They are a father/son run business and are Wampanoag out of Carver, MA. Not sure if they make bows though. If not a Google search should steer you in the right direction. And of course if you are a bit of a craftsman yourself you can always DIY it.

My father used to make real nice recurves, there is actually quite a bit involved in a hand made recurve bow, to get a high quality product. I'm sure there's a bit of a learning curve, probably for a good quality long bow as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    My father used to make real nice recurves, there is actually quite a bit involved in a hand made recurve bow, to get a high quality product. I'm sure there's a bit of a learning curve, probably for a good quality long bow as well...
    Recurves are a long laminating process. They make fine bows in the end. My fav bow that I own still is a recurve and it has about 60 pounds of pull on it and is as good as a high - mid level compound hunting bow. Deadly at 50 yards.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So Lucas, are you getting into archery for target shooting or hunting?

If you're target shooting then I'd recommend a recurve, but for hunting it's longbow all the way. I think the recurve shoots flatter with less pull and may be easier to master, while the longbow has a bit more arch at longer distances which takes a better archer. Also, the longbow is quieter so it doesn't startle game when hunting.

BTW, I hope your ankle is feeling better.

Hey thanks for the replies! I'll eventually get into hunting, but not until I've got my aim down. i've got a buddy that has experience shooting but is just getting back into it.

ive just got a cheap takedown longbow for target practice.

Thanks for those links goldenbrain! I think i'll start by practicing making my own arrows, then eventually try making my first bow.

ultimately i would like to be able to make a bow/arrow by walking into the woods with nothing. by be able meaning sure i could go in there and break some rocks, make an axe, cut down a tree yadda yadda. i don't think i'll ever go that far but if I get into it, after practicing with steel the first few times, then use stone tools.

one summer i made a bokken out of purple heart wood and some chisels, hammer, sandpaper....that shat was hard.

I only nibbled at it so I am by no means an authority.

Gene I'm also curious your experience between kyudo and western archery method.
    Kyudo was really hard. There was a lot of formality, a lot of posture and mindset. For western archery, I took a class in high school that was very minimal, just basic structure and methods, and then point and shoot. Then I dabbled with some friends who shot, so that was super informal. The Kyudo was formal, even though it was just sitting in for a few sessions. Kyudo is a 'do' not a 'jitsu', so you would anticipate such formality. Plus, those Kyudo bows are really hard to draw and steady. The western stuff I shot with was either pretty light or those crazy compound bows that are super smooth to draw.

was your kyudo more of an effeciency or meditative style?
    When you grasp zen, there is no distinction.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    When you grasp zen, there is no distinction.
    what are you asian or something?...oh wait, nvm.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    BTW, I hope your ankle is feeling better.
    oh and thanks. its getting there. im still mostly lamed, if I was a horse i'd be put down.

zen again

what are you asian or something?...oh wait, nvm.
    When you grasp zen, you see the Asian and the absence of Asian. There is no distinction.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips