Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

Thanks C. The comparing of styles some military guys get is great.

Going to get it next paycheck Vash.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-15-2004 at 03:58 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

ESPN 2 has Karate breaking championships on

Some guys in TKD uniforms are kicking boards with running side kicks right now. I've never seen this before so I think I'll watch it for a while.

Some dude's gonna break 13 slabs of concrete with his elbow but they have spacers.

Hey, he got it. I wonder how many he could get without spacers.

Another dude just tried for 14, but he only got 13 of them. He ran up and jumped in the air in order to generate more power for his strike.
    Last edited by IronFist; 06-14-2005 at 05:09 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Get this, if it's a tie, they go by PERCENTAGE broken and not NUMBER broken.

So if guy A breaks 15/15 and guy B breaks 15/16, guy A would win cuz he got 100%. Strange.

Some guy just ran and dove through columns of ice. That was his break. wtf?

Now they're doing open hand forms. Why is eveyrone screaming so much? Every time this girl moves she's all "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Holy crap is that part of karate now?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    Now they're doing open hand forms. Why is eveyrone screaming so much? Every time this girl moves she's all "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Holy crap is that part of karate now?
    I saw it too.

It's either **** funny , or **** sad...

i've seen tha stuf before. i cant stand it. the most i've seen broken on that stuff is 16 or 17 by some big fat guy(imagine that) he jumped up and landed on the stack with his elbow. lets see them try all that stuff with no spacers. watching their forms is so annoying to me. they screem a lot do a bunch of fancy twirly stuff and they are done. kinda like a bad american version of modern wushu. i wish espn would show some more traditional stuff not just that extreme M.A. garbage. they had a wushu guy on there once and he worked everyone.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

I made the mistake of going to the Battle of Atlanta a couple of years ago. All the screaming made the place sound like a nuthouse. Don't get me started about the "musical/creative forms" division, or the toothpick thin graphite "bo" these people use. Also, point-sparring.......
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Breaking bricks/rocks/ice is impressive.. Breaking wood and ''concrete'' is not
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

10. so why is ku yu cheing more impressive than these guys than? cause most shaolin people think hes badass jsut because he does a brick breaking iron palm.

yeah, i was more afraid of her bark than her 'skills'. she could deafen you if you were near by.

i thought the girl-kid with the mettalic staff might have some potential for additional staff and pole arm forms.

but you know, none of thier performance forms were balanced in terms of demonstrating skills. for example the girl that did high back kicks could only do them with one leg. and the girl who did the 'fast' forward sidekicks couldn't even extend to a straight or full extension of the kick movement.

one of the forms (skinny african american) looked like a karat-i-fied version of the hong hawk step.

the guy named lu i've seen before. he tries to add soft stuff to his floor routine ( like this time he added 'lifting the sky' with the advanced stance position) but he always gets scored lower for doing more chinese orientated skills.

but that's several of the reasons Paul Mitchel is known for: Performance Martial Arts. if it looks good (flashy) they'll put it on. the more karate it looks the better it is for them. thier dynasty comments are basically true: they favour certain school lineages in thier competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer
    Breaking bricks/rocks/ice is impressive.. Breaking wood and ''concrete'' is not
    their main breaking competition was several weeks ago. this year the bricks were really hard. you could see the cracks the force made through the unbroken bricks sometimes four bricks down the stack from the last broken one.

in tonights breaking there was one guy whom, i think, clearly demonstrated chi in his technique ans the bricks were breaking two or three bricks ahead of his foot with a clear compresion wave ahead of the penetrating block. was that lu again?

any vids? of the breaking I mean
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

All show and no go.

so why is ku yu cheing more impressive than these guys than? cause most shaolin people think hes badass jsut because he does a brick breaking iron palm.
    For one thing, he didn't use spacers, didn't have to jump at the bricks, etc. He also put a whoopin' on a number of people, or so I've heard