Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

full contact is a rather new term period. The original point of karate self defense however was to kill with one blow - ichi-go; ichi-e - one encounter, one chance.

They had very arduous conditioning methods to develop that power, and of course, there was kata. Just as the samurai had challenges, I'm willing to bet that karateka did also - I'll ask my friend about that. Now that full contact has become more widespread - probably due to kyokushin, there is full contact sparring. killing with one blow isn't really the focus anymore, so this type of training is acceptable, and is a great asset anyway.

I completely overlooked the first part of the question - they also say that a one year boxer can easily beat a CMA - the reason being is that they spend alot more time sparring than most traditional styles, and so they are better with timing, are used to taking hits, etc. traditional styles by nature take longer IMO because you spend more time drilling than actually fighting - at least in the beginning. That's not a bad thing - it's just a different means of getting to the same end.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    full contact is a rather new term period. The original point of karate self defense however was to kill with one blow - ichi-go; ichi-e - one encounter, one chance.

I completely overlooked the first part of the question - they also say that a one year boxer can easily beat a CMA - the reason being is that they spend alot more time sparring than most traditional styles, and so they are better with timing, are used to taking hits, etc. traditional styles by nature take longer IMO because you spend more time drilling than actually fighting - at least in the beginning. That's not a bad thing - it's just a different means of getting to the same end.
    The Okinawans use the term Uchichiesu instead of ichi-go; ichi-e. It means to strike in such a way that the opponent is completely defeated. Some cat made the McDojo comment about Okinawa. He is right, but McDojos are just as prevalent on the mainland (Japan). Many of the best karate teachers are in the States now. There aren't that many significant Japanese guys competing for the K1 crown. So why would someone want to train there? Hell, the Japanese don't even really like karate. They like sumo, baseball, and wrestling. BTW there is Shidokan, Enshin, Ashihara and other Kyokushinkai offshoots (ie: harder Shotokan-based karate) here in the USA and other countries.

As far as boxers beating karate guys-well 90+% of karate taught ain't worth a ****nn thing, except for fun and the harmful false glory of sport competition. I would agree with your assessment, because boxers are real fighters with good sound principles, and most karate is "hope" fighting. Understand though, that the best Senseis are totally "Juho" or soft (especially Okinawan stylists). Soft always overcomes the hard. Relaxed strength is the key to real fighting. I think that transitioning from "hard" to "hard-soft" to "soft" is the goal or original intent of karate. The Japanese never figured that out, or just can't think like that. The Chinese often start off soft. That's why they often have flexibilty and form but no real strength. The transition from hard to soft is best when learning a MA. No "easy, easy, easy" forever. Just like any other learned thing in life it starts off hard then gets easy or effortless.

Everything you need is in kata and its kihon bunkai and oyo bunkai. Karate is kata, kata, kata. If you don't do forms then you're not doing karate. You're a kickboxer, which the Muay Thai and Savate guys got locked up. Take one of those sport styles if you really want to learn kickboxing.

Thumbs up

nice post. you lost me on this though:

"The Chinese often start off soft. That's why they often have flexibilty and form but no real strength. The transition from hard to soft is best when learning a MA."

You think the chinese do it backwards?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think also a simple fact in life is that nobody is born with the ability to not freak out when they get hit in the face. You have to learn that in sparring, and that advantage alone puts boxers out way ahead of some traditional MAs.

"The Okinawans use the term Uchichiesu instead of ichi-go; ichi-e. It means to strike in such a way that the opponent is completely defeated."

This is one way of looking at it, but I prefer to think of it as making the right decision, at the right time, on the first try (a bit broader definition, but still analogous to the one strike one kill concept). The hawaiians, who incase you didn't know were serious badazz 7 foot tall warriors, have a term ...hemolele'ole....meaning perfection....which carries the same concept. i just got back from Hawaii...they have a fascinating history of warrior culture, and many marital arts filtered into the US through Hawaii just after WWII. But that's a bit OT.

hawaiians or samoans?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Blanket statements=bad

Originally posted by SevenStar
    nice post. you lost me on this though:

"The Chinese often start off soft. That's why they often have flexibilty and form but no real strength. The transition from hard to soft is best when learning a MA."

You think the chinese do it backwards?
    Hey bruh, I made a serious error when I used a general term like "Chinese". What I meant to say was that getting really good at an Internal System like Tai Chi takes years and years of practice. Harder External Systems, Like Shaolin Lohan Chuan, can make a decent fighter out of you in 6 mos. to a year, usually. Trust me though Internal masters like Professor Zheng Manqing could handle practically any stylist, external or internal.

Some styles like White Lotus, are really, really soft and even their forms lack any whipping power. They would have a hard time with say, a good Kyokushinkai guy of comparable time in art and skill.

Systems like White Crane use a soft concept intermeshed with some external principles. The balance of the two can lead to explosive, relaxed execution and power.

All that being said, the Internal Systems prepare the stylist to become better with age. When you're young external power will suffice, but if you are mugged or attacked at 70 and you can't even move because you've destroyed your body with continuous hard training, then all the years you put into training will amount to nada.

So do I think the Chinese have it backwards? Heck, no. Those Chuan Fa guys I saw sparring in the BB matches at the last AAU tourney my school entered, will be able to do that stuff until they are 80. They may never win first place in Kumite, but that ain't real fighting anyway. The Shotokan and even Goju guys will look like the walking wounded by then. Plus I'm a Shorin guy who learns from someone who stresses going away from the hard as you progress through the BB ranks. Hard is temporary and harmful. Soft, like water pounding on coastlines, turns mountains into beaches.
    Last edited by omegapoint; 06-20-2002 at 06:28 PM.

Seven Star - Since Hawaiians are partailly descended from Samoans... I guess you could say both. But I was specifically talking about the tribes on Hawaii. The social structure has been likened to the pharocy of egypt.

The supposed true native hawaiian (thet were there when the boats arrive from polynesia) were called Menehune. They were supposed to be 3 feet tall and would build things like fishing ponds and wells over night. Now they are (if they ever existed) extinct and are sort of like a cross between a gremlin and a leprechaun, depicted on bottles of water and on minimart signs (shop at the Menehune Mall) .

Who here studies Karate???

I do, but its a karate taekwondo mix, I want to know if anyone studies Traditional Karate-do or like Shotokan karate.
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

I used to do Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate. Now I do Tae Kwon Do mixed with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Very nice combo, you get the grappling and the kicks. Doesn't get any better.

I've only ever studied traditional karate-do. Started off in isshin-ryu and now study shotokan. Love it, too. I thought about dropping it and moving on to something else, but I've got so much time invested in the art I hate to quit now because I'm afraid I'll miss out on learning something else...and I always learn something when I go to class.
    K. Mark Hoover

Me too...

I've studied Boxing, Judo and BJJ. Shorin beats them all. Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu KarateJUTSU, to be exact!
    The morrow beckons...

Yea i like karate because its got alot of fast powerful stirkes and throws... I love to throw people around!!!
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

Hahaha, I now study Traditional(sp) Shotokan Karate I love it!!
    Now I have to change my profile and tell my old Instuctor.... uh oh!! It'll be ok though!!!
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

studied Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, formally, all through adolescent/teen years. (about 8 years) studied, informally, Shorin Ryu and Kobujutsu in Okinawan, while stationed there. (2 years)

Now I'm practicing shaolin kung fu, and tai chi (1+ years), but progressing very quickly due to my previous training.

I will probably go back to Matsubayashi, or at least Shorin Ryu, if I ever find myself in an area with a good teacher again...I want to complete learning of Kusanku, the only kata I didn't finish from previous training.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

I have studied TKD and Shotokan in the past. For the past several years I have studied Tomari-te Ryukyu Kempo (traditional Okinawan Kempo) and intend to practice it to the day I die. Of course I have cross-trained in BJJ, Hung Gar kungfu and Xing-I, but Kempo has always been my main focus.

Leto, I know Kusanku. If you are anywhere near the northern Kentucky area I would be happy to show it to you. Of course the version I know might be slightly different.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein