Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

Question Karate practitioners

Hey
    are Karate Katas as long with as many movements as Gung Fu forms? I never practiced Karate so I dont know. I know that TKD forms are very small, there were poeple at my dads TKD school that were complaining about learning a form (hyung) that had 24 movements. I felt like telling them "24 movements, try learning something with 130 movements that takes 3 months of daily reciting to learn". Just curious

Some karate kata are 20 or so moves (Heian shodan and nidan) others can go up to 65(hangetsu). But they have a certain rythm to it so some are faster while others are slower.
    They all stop back in the same spot where you start too.
    Heian shodan first kata has exactly 21 moves.Nidan has 25, Just thought you would like to know. hehehe
    Last edited by Surferdude; 06-11-2003 at 02:27 PM.
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Surfer Dude, just make sure you don't tell him about the secret deadly technique at the end of chinte!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Stupid Rogue! Now you told it!

Anyway, here's a new BL pic for ya

Hahaha o yea thats a sick move!!!
    Yea dont tell him!!!

Wait why is that guy in a black gi???
    ehh nevermind
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

It's not a black gi. That's Bruce Lee

Is it??
    O yea it is holy ****!!! I didnt look hard enough!!!
    Sorry master!!
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

master, and master.. depends on how you look at it

But is'nt it degrading seeing him knocking a karate BB on his ass?

The longest pattern in Tae Kwon Do is So-San, 72 moves. The last 2 patterns you learn are the shortest, Saju-Jirugi(next to last)has 7 moves, and the last Saju-Makgi has 8 moves.

TKD

Originally posted by chen zhen
    master, and master.. depends on how you look at it

But is'nt it degrading seeing him knocking a karate BB on his ass?
    I dunno, I think i'd be honored to have my ass kicked by Bruce
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

It would be more honorable to kick bruce's ass

true
    Go Surf!
    Karate's better!!!

I remember when I was taking TKD, a guy came from Okinawa, and had studied Okinanowan (I spelled that wrong didn't I?) Karate there. In his first full contact match, he accidently injured someone. He didn't mean to. I guess where he trained at, when they sparred, they were taught what to do, what not to do, and avoiding injury, and were better prepared. But the way he injured this poor schlub, with such ease, I knew right then, after two and a half years of TKD, and thinking I knew a lot about combat, that I hardly knew anything.

'Megapoint

I'm looking around for a good class that can teach me some good self defense skills in a relatively speedy/reasonable amount of time. (in Vancouver, BC). Recently I've checked out a hapkido, wing chun, and Okinawan goju ryu class. I"m leaning towards the goju ryu, with possibly a couple judo classes a week on the side. So, 'Megapoint, I was curious as to your opinion on Okinawan Goju Ryu and judo, please. Also, this sensei doesn't do weapons training. thanks-

Oh, there's also a shorin ryu class in town, taught by a student of Daniel Kogan's (who I believe is the premiere or one of the premiere teachers of his style of shorin in North America), but I think the goju guys been training alot longer (around 30+years). The shorin site is, I think, at okinawakaratedo.com The goju sensei doesn't have a site. If that address doesn't work, do a search for Daniel Kogan.
    Last edited by nothingness; 06-19-2003 at 09:15 PM.

I'm looking around for a good class that can teach me some good self defense skills in a relatively speedy/reasonable amount of time.
    How do you define speedy and reasonable? It's better to not look for a quick fix in most classical arts as they'll disappoint you.

Any how much of self defense has nothing to do with martial arts of any kind. Truck on down to your bookstore and pick up Strong on Defense and The Gift of Fear. These two books will give you a great start in self defense.

I'd pick Shorin.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.