Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

is anywhere?

France
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Not a group Vash, just one sensei.

how do you know that they are teaching you karate? It is entirely possible that they are just selling MMA under the karate brand. do they have secret manuals which show these moves were originally developed in the hidden, dangerous, bad side of street of okinawa?
    Not a bad point really. I asked why you don't see these in many Shotokan schools and asked half jokingly if they were "secret" techniques. I was told to read the text in Karate-Do Kyohan instead of just looking at the pictures. Sure enough almost everything I was being shown was mentioned. So no secrets, but a bunch of common sense about everything from self defense (run and only fight as a last resort) to sparring( don't worry about looking perfect). Funakoshi never wrote in a very detailed manner and seems to assume that the reader knows what he's talking about.

I've never been impressed with the Shotokan that I've seen until now. Didn't someone here post an article on the throws of shotokan or karate throws vs chinese throws?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Not a bad point really.

Although he was kidding, I think that is the irony of doing the martial arts. The human body can only move so many ways, with some subtle differences thrown in. Alot of things end up looking similar, or the same for that reason.

Originally posted by rogue
    Not a group Vash, just one sensei.
    Ah, well, if that's the case then I can continue to carry on my opinion that ShotoCon is a horrible, horrible martial art and serves the purpose of distorting the true fighting history!!!!!!!

BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Just one sensei that I'm training with Vash, there are many others. What should I expect from someone who punches funny. I had asked his opinion about the state of Shotokan and to him it was no big deal. It's just the way it always was and will always be. Some people are happy with marching up and down a dojo, others want more and will find it. Right now the easiest place to find meat are in ring sports, but others are happy with a Slim Fast shake.

The human body can only move so many ways,
    Exactly Red, I think MP has been trying to bang that point home for a long time. The differences are in the training and intent of that training.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Didn't someone here post an article on the throws of shotokan or karate throws vs chinese throws?
    That was me.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

rogue;

what Okinawan style do you do?

That was me.
    7*, could you post that link again?

Vash, I do some mishmash style that mixes Goju and Shorin. The guy who started it couldn't remember the beginner kata so he made up some drills to take their place. The founders name means Dragging Man or something like that.

DM

Sounds like a crappy system to me.

Sweet

Just got "The Karate of Choki Motobu" on VHS yesterday. Think I'm gonna go hook up the VCR and check it out.

It's got the history of Motobu, plus demonstrations of Choki's two Naihanchi sets, as well as his twelve two-man drills.

everything's demonstrated by Chosei Motobu, Choki's son, and Takeji Inaba. I'll edit in my review later on.

edit:

The Best karate video I've ever paid money for. Simple, realistic. I love it. You can skip the history part, the first few minutes, though, if you've done any serious research on Motobu, or if you've read Motobu Choki's My Karate. Oh, buy that book to. And here's the link for the tape.

Sorry to be pushing non MAM material, Gene, but this is some must-have stuff for karate peeps, whether they are involved with the Okinawan styles, or the Japanese derivitives.

Seriously whacked out stuff. Ug wanna go practice Naihanchi now.
    Last edited by Vash; 05-15-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Great Vash! I've been wanting to get that vid for awhile now. Motobu was a badazz mofo! Though I'm currently a Hsing-I/ Bagua guy, I also hold Shodan rank in Shotokan which I learned from various military Karate instructors. Most of my instructors were strong believers that the kata were full of down & dirty street fighting techniques and that if an application (bunkai) didn't make sense and work at high speed, then it was wrong.

I'm always amazed at some of the ridiculous applications I see being passed of as Bunkai. And the people who practice kata as though they were stiff-jointed robots are also doing THAT wrong. The movements should be smooth and fast. Think "panther", not "robot" .

I've been eye balling that vid too Vash, if you say it's good I'm going to go get me a copy.

cerebus, this guy is ex-military too. Was there a certain dojo that you went to that they taught at? I never thought of Shotokan as an inside art but this guy was oi-zuki as a lead in and after that it was all elbows, knees and stomps. And if anybody is wondering about that chambering at the hip habit, it's really good when you're really, really close inside. He'd press in adn kept jamming my arm when I used a boxers guard. An inside

What I'm now wondering is did Funakoshi teach this and then drop it from most of the curriculum? **** Kyohan makes passing references to things but doesn't show many examples.

DM

I've been eye balling that vid too Vash, if you say it's good I'm going to go get me a copy.

And if anybody is wondering about that chambering at the hip habit, it's really good when you're really, really close inside. He'd press in adn kept jamming my arm when I used a boxers guard.
    Indeed, get the tape. Then love it. And that chamber you mentioned, well, it's not explained verbally, but you get to see what it's about. Solid, solid stuff. I just plugged it in, fast forwarding past the history. My gimp ass is gonna walk through all this stuff.

Fugging awesome.

No, there's no particular "dojo" that military guys train at. You're usually stationed at any given base for 1 or 2 years at a time and you just train at whichever schools are available or start a training group with other military martial artists.

I think that might be why some military martial artists are able to use their stuff in a wide variety of situations. We just trained with whoever was available, wrestlers, Judoka, Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, Jeet Kune Do, Hapkido, etc. And alot of these guys have learned their arts while stationed in the art's countries of origin.