Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

The whole baseball and softball thing is bunk man. It's like, do you actually think there are more people interested in sync. swimming or table tennis... who the hell won the gold in table tennis... come on now.... 50 meter air rifle.. give me a break.

This move was done shady, the IOC is a bunch of punk ass wannabe policals that don't know sport from a jock strap. the only thing they do OK with is the winter games, which is like 10 times sicker than the summer. Then Cuba opens there mouth and blames the MLB... Truth be told, we get punked in the olympics when we send our amatures, and ridiculed when we send our pros, even by the other countries that send their pros. Oh, and last time I checked, South America, Central America, South Korea, Japan, and a few European baseball teams were as good, if not better than the US. Look at what type of team the Dominican Rep. could field in baseball, Japan and Cuba would have sick teams too.

Now, that rant being said, I would love to see more martial in the olympics.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Karate is out.

They decided not to replace baseball/softball, so the games are down to 26.

The head of the international baseball thingy (some Italian) said they thought it was because they couldn't attract any top level players. Seems like a daft reason to me... means you're just gonna get games where there's no pro game to speak of... so interest is gonna wane.

Not that I care about baseball... cricket should be in there anyways!!!

In regards to Wushu (Taolu or Sanshou) getting an IOC nod, I would not expect it to happen unless the IWuF ponied up with a big sum of money and such under the table.

The problems:

Although there ARE IWuF recognized bodies in enough countries to make a show for a bid to the IOC, the level of most of the countries is low.

The training for judges is totally controlled by the PRC and done at the whim of the IWuF. In roughly 10 years of having an IWuF recognized organization in the US and the Pan AM Fed, PAWF, there has only been one non-China based judges training. Really hard to grow an event when you have to have people go to china for 2 or 3 weeks on their own nickel...and then not even know if they are going to get certified at the end of the time. (Some of the training sessions ended with qualified people NOT being certified because of PRC/IWuF politics)

You would be hard pressed to have the IOC justify the addition of any event where one country would have a lock on all of the medals. Taolu is just that way. China MAKES the rules, creates the forms, does the training materials. When they created the new set of compulsories, China was training on them for a full year before the rest of the world had ready access to the documentation.

All of this mixed together - not much of a chance. Personally, I would LOVE to see both Taolu and Sanshou in the Olympics. BUT...if I were on the IOC, there is now way, knowing what I know about the IWuF and how things are, that I would ever vote to let it become an event.

Amazing Breaks by Karate Master

The breaks this guy does is unbelievable. Check out the Chi generation for his last demonstration.

Karate Master Breaks
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

and that's karate for ya.

nice clip! There was a beautiful tai otoshi thrown early on and a very nice ippon seionage at the end. good stuff in between too. I guess elbows and headbutts were allowed because of the headgear they wore.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

**** straight!

GREAT clip.

from below the clip

Karate, usualy styles originating out of the kyokushin style which has a long history of bareknuckle full contact competition and kickboxing connections, has begun to adapt competition closer to the Mixed martial art(MMA) format. Daido juku is one of those karate styles (originaly splintering out from kyokushin karate in 1981), starting to spread out from japan.

Using helmets, they allow headbuts, groinkicks, basicaly anything. Including limited time grappling.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If we had THAT type of ruleset in karate tournies, I'd compete again.

That is seriously hardcore.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash
    If we had THAT type of ruleset in karate tournies, I'd compete again.

That is seriously hardcore.
    But there are some that are close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Oi!

*glee*
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

What are people's honest opinions on karate?

I'm wondering wht do ppl think about that? I know it's linear, direct (basic) however how about effectiveness? such as cross trained with boxing // judo // wrestling // or even kung fu? I'm no troll but I want a opinion about karate or am i trying to learn too much?

It is good.

It used to be called China hand, Tang hand or To De. There are soft parts/ruo shou and Ki/Chi gong, too. tiger/crane?

When I was in high school in 1970's, there are more people in TKD than karate and even Kuo Shu club.

Nowadays, there are also MMA, BJJ club etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate

Last edited by SPJ; 07-16-2006 at 06:36 PM.

It can be good, but of course it's the most widely used martial arts name around... so naturally you've gotta look a bit harder to find the good schools

Nothing wrong with Karate. It's about what floats your boat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Before kung fu I studied Karate for 6 years and liked it very much. it was effective for what it was and its a great art.
    Also it is not as basic as you think and the style I trained Go Ju Ryu was very circular...... well at least in the higher levels, but yes it started linear. But many people spend thier lives learning it nothing wrong with that
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."