Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

Stranger Guest
    In 1993-ish my friend (and on a few occasions me) were training under Sensei Tom DiGiaccomo (sp.?) from World Oyama Karate. During that time, they were trying to get together enough people for a hundred man kumite. It was not Tom doing it and, I don't know who he was recruiting for, but I believe it was happening at Shigeru Oyama's headquarters in NYC. I think that Shigeru Oyama did the two 100man kumite in a week, when he first set up shop in NY- which was quite some time ago. I don't know if the 1993 kumite was for him or not. I don't know how old he is.

I totally believe that a Kyokushin karateka who studied Traditional Okinawan Karate would learn quite a bit (of that we are in total agreement), however I choose not to discount the talents that Kyokushin fighters have on their own.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Kempo Guy Guest

100 man Kumite

I believe the last Hyakunin Kumite was done by Hajim kazumi in March '99. They are done few and far between (at least in the IKO), as I believe the one prior to that was done by Francisco Filho in 1995. I believe he did this twice that year (in Feb. and March), one completed in Brazil and the other in Japan.

Hope this helps,

KG

Shaolindynasty Guest

Karate Questions

I have a few questions about karate that maybe sombody could help with but some have nothing to do with each other so I will list them in a 1,2,3 order

1. In CMA people tend to think that lineage is the most important thing and that if your lineage is good than your individual practice will be better than that of someone with a not so clear line. Do Karate practitioners think like this to? Or is the individual practice more important? (example of some kungfu guys thinking)

I trained with Sifu brown at usa kungfu and learned some kind of kungfu but I won a world championship with it.

(kungfu guy)
    You don't have a solid lineage, so you must suck. I train under famous master x, I didn't win any fights cause I have never been in any but you must listen to me cause I have a solid lineage.

2. Is most Karate interchangable? Can a practitioner of Shotokan switch to another style with no problems as far as principles?

3. Is there any emphasis on leaning low stances like in some kungfu or are the stances higher?

4. What is the most important aspect of Karate fighting?

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Merryprankster Guest
    Shaolin;

AMEN about the lineage thing. Sheesh.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    I know, I get sick of it myself. I feel lineage has little to do with what you can actually DO. It seems most people use it to validate their practice you'll here alot of kungfu guys say stuff like "Well my teachers, teachers, teacher won some lei tai challenges and private matches so I can fight". I was wondering does this happen often in JMA? Or do they "walk the walk" instead?

SaekSan Guest

I hate to say it, but...

It happens everywhere, I have several friends that study and/or teach Karate (different styles too) and they see the same problems as we do.

I was talking to a good friend of mine that teaches Pa Kua Chang and Hsing-I Chuan, that studied under a famous Master in Taiwan. We had the discussion about how in the last decade or so there has been this rise of the lineage issue. His words were "to guys like you and me what's important is how good our teacher is and if he can teach us the stuff, not the dead people on the wall"... how true, how true

:)

NorthernMantis Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know, I get sick of it myself. I feel lineage has little to do with what you can actually DO [/quote]

Yeah but if your style came from Ronald McDonald then your not practicing a kug fu style.No matter how you are it's still McKwoon.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

apoweyn Guest
    NorthernMantis,

What does that mean though? Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious.

Say you've got a teacher who charges a lot, advertises a lot, has trophies all over the windows, has contracts, etc. (all stereotypical trademarks of the mcdojo). he teaches you the roundhouse kick. you practice it. you become good at it. now you can DO the round kick. well.

so how does lineage guarantee OR rule out anything?

stuart b.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    "Yeah but if your style came from Ronald McDonald then your not practicing a kug fu"

True in a way. Yet I personally don't see the point in claiming to teach Kungfu if you teach somthing else(but it does happen). Some people in Kungfu assume because they can trace a long lineage that they are combat superior to somone who can't. I am not sure which branch of Mantis you practice exactly(I don't know much about mantis) but let's say some from another line which taces back ****her(don't know if this could happen but stay with me) and they started telling you how to do things and that they were better than you, how would you deal with it? My guess would be in a put up or shut up attitude, right?

I don't have anything against history and lineage as I am activly researching my own. I have even posted what I know on my site.(for sure I left out most of the stuff I couldn't verify) What I am opposed to is people who don't fight and don't spar yet assume they can cause their martial grandfather did. :rolleyes:

Colin Guest
    I believe that lineage is probably more relavent in certain areas of CMS because some styles are incredibly complex, and the only way you can really know you are learning the true style, the way the originator intended it, is by having proof of lineage.
    However being from good lineage in no way guarantees the person can fight, and people do claim this.
    Put it this way my first kung fu sifu was a european & world heavyweight kung fu champion, but he is also 6' 6" tall and 250 pounds. While i'm 5'10" and 150 pounds. So I don't really fight like him!

Also lineage within Karate cannot really be as relevent being that Gichin Funakoshi only formulated modern karate less than 100 years ago.
    Saying this I spent my first 4-5 years in MA's studing Shotokan under Kanasawa sensi, and he's the best!

If the sifu's good and he/she really knows their stuff then it doesn't matter who taught them.

Likewise a pet hate of mine.
    Every person that EVER trained for any time at all under Bruce Lee is automaticaly given some sort of God like status.
    This seems crazy as he surely had crap students too.
    Just like all these guys that have trained with people like Dan Inasanto, just because they attended a few seminars it doesn't mean there invincible.
    I have to admit though when I was looking for an instructor to teach me Xing Yi Quan, I specifically chose someone that had excellent credentials, I did this to ensure that I received the correct training.

CT.............

Shaolindynasty Guest
    When I first started looking for MA training, I looked at everything in my area. I think some people run into problems when they try to find a specific style. My sifu was just the best MA practitioner and teacher in my area. If a shotokan instructor that was better than him was in my area right now I would be ShotokanDynasty :D What I am trying to say is that what the "original founder" of the style intended doesn't really matter, what matters is what is happening today. I only see in black and white, is good or bad martial arts. I don't care how legit somthing is if it sucks :D

Kung Lek Guest
    not sure about mike tysons lineage but I'm pretty certain he can kick butt on 99% of every single ma student of any style there is.

same for Lewis, Rahman, Holyfield.

Do these guys have "lineages"? Not really.
    do they know how to fight? you bet.

could they duke it up on the street? it is highly likely that their body guards would take care of their small change for em.

anyway. lineage these days really doesn't mean much when you look at the greater scheme of things, all it gives you is assurance that you are learning a style that has been handed down traditionally over time.

It has minimal importance. I mean, even Kyu Yu Cheong modified what he learned and by many his is considered a starting point of the Bak Sil Lum lineage even though his pedigree was different. And he taught thousands of folks shaolin martial arts. so, did it all begin in the late 20's with KYC? No it didn't.

Lineage for the most part only has meaning for the one that bears the responsibility of being the sifu of it. For the rest, they are just students and 99% of them will not be the holder of the style in the end. But if they become great fighters they will be saught after to teach and will become the sijo of a new lineage, just like bruce was the founder of Jun Fan and the JKD concepts.

What matters is does the art deliver what it claims to deliver. Is it effective and does it contribute to your overall martial skill. The pedigree is the smallest detail of any martial art, smaller than the style itself.

peace

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Shaolindynasty Guest

Thanks Kung lek

You explained that better than I could.

shaolinboxer Guest
    Actually boxers do have lineage, through their trainers and the gyms they workout at. Just a thought.

Budokan Guest
    1. Lineage in karate doesn't have the importance in KF.

2. Pretty much.

3. Stances depend on the style.

4. "One punch, one kill" methodology.

K. Mark Hoover