Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I did a few seminars with Higaonna, good stuff, very good.
    Taira sensei is another I recommend.
    Check out his stuff.
    And of course the Uechi-ryu videos are awesome.
    I'm starting to get a huge interest in Sanchin as a developmental "gung"... although I think I'd prefer the White Crane version because the hip alignment seems less square but beggars can't be choosers. Since I'm friends with an old Shorin Ryu black belt, maybe I'll have to go see him and learn it if he knows it. Just seems like a good way to help develop power and speed.

Coming from a karate background, what are your thoughts on the "three battles" kata?
    Last edited by MightyB; 07-16-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Higaonna and Taira sensei are top notch for sure. I highly recommend Tadashi Yamashita if you want to see some quality Shorin Ryu. And, if you're interested to see how Okinawa karate and Kali Arnis can be mixed together effectively, which is more to my liking, check out one of Tadashi Yamashita's and Dan Inosanto's students Guro T. Kent Nelson.

I love Sanchin! It's taught around the orange/green belt level in Okinawa karate so your Shorin Ryu buddy should be able to teach it to you.

I know you didn't ask me specifically about the three battles kata but I believe that's what Sanchin means. Either three battles or three conflicts, to develop body, mind and spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm starting to get a huge interest in Sanchin as a developmental "gung"... although I think I'd prefer the White Crane version because the hip alignment seems less square but beggars can't be choosers. Since I'm friends with an old Shorin Ryu black belt, maybe I'll have to go see him and learn it if he knows it. Just seems like a good way to help develop power and speed.

Coming from a karate background, what are your thoughts on the "three battles" kata?
    I know quite a few versions:
    Okinawan Goju
    Uechi
    Kyokushin
    White Crane
    Five ancestors
    SPM

I prefer, just based on what I find works best for me:
    Goju, Uechi, White Crane and SPM.
    The White crane sanjian I do is a version of this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7YrJ9lk3U
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Cool stuff - is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Higaonna and Taira sensei are top notch for sure. I highly recommend Tadashi Yamashita if you want to see some quality Shorin Ryu. And, if you're interested to see how Okinawa karate and Kali Arnis can be mixed together effectively, which is more to my liking, check out one of Tadashi Yamashita's and Dan Inosanto's students Guro T. Kent Nelson.

I love Sanchin! It's taught around the orange/green belt level in Okinawa karate so your Shorin Ryu buddy should be able to teach it to you.

I know you didn't ask me specifically about the three battles kata but I believe that's what Sanchin means. Either three battles or three conflicts, to develop body, mind and spirit.
    I talked to the Shorin Ryu guy and he says he studies Kobayashi Shorin Ryu and they use the Kihon and Naihanchin Kata to teach basic movement. But he did point me in the direction of a Uechi Instructor friend of his.

Blog Entries
    the Okinawan / White Crane linkage ...
    Many years ago, a 6th degree Okinawan Karate master always came to my house on Sunday evening and I had to translate a white crane book for him. He loved to hit his arm on my arm to work out the "3 stars".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Cool stuff - is that you?
    Nope, that is Martin Watts a dude that trains White Crane.

I used to have clips of me doing a a few forms, I have no idea where they are now...

Ever since I lost my SPM/HK Sifu, I've been looking, in vain, for something else BUT I think I will probably stop and just do my own thing and train at home.
    After 35 years, I think I am ok.
    I can't spar anymore because of my vertigo (Meniere's disease) so I am left with conditioning, bag work and ST.
    BUT, after sparring and full contact in 20+ years or MA, I HOPE I have learned enough to have some carry over.
    Such is life.

Karate has been making a bit of a come back in my life right now, so...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Many years ago, a 6th degree Okinawan Karate master always came to my house on Sunday evening and I had to translate a white crane book for him. He loved to hit his arm on my arm to work out the "3 stars".
    There's a youtube series on Okinawan Karate, top notch you should check it out.

Blog Entries
    There's a youtube series on Okinawan Karate, top notch you should check it out.
    A good friend of mine John Ray went to Okinawan and trained directly under the top master. He told me that he sparred with the master's son quite often. He could use his toes to kick on the brick wall which was quite amazing.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

A good friend of mine John Ray went to Okinawan and trained directly under the top master. He told me that he sparred with the master's son quite often. He could use his toes to kick on the brick wall which was quite amazing.
    Uechi ryu is know for that.
    Shinjo Sensei has some very impressive breaking demos on youtube.

I studied Okinawan Karate for many years. Sanchin is widely considered fundamental to Go Ju Ryu, but i really never cared much for it. I always preferred the ideas in Seiunchin Kata as a base for Go Ju, myself.

I have always wanted to learn the White Crane version, however.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

theres nothing interesting about san chin, but you prolly find san chin fascinating because ur kung fu training lacks basic fundamentals.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    theres nothing interesting about san chin, but you prolly find san chin fascinating because ur kung fu training lacks basic fundamentals.

Dooood! Since sanchin originates from southern white crane, doesn't that make it kung fu fundamentals?

I like the goju and white crane versions and also use sanchin type breathing and tension to work all of my forms at some point. Along with working forms on different surfaces and slopes I will use several different speeds, sanchin type breathing and tension, taiji type flow, medium speed and really fast and snappy.

You say that because you are weak, like woman !!