Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate

Shaolindynasty Guest
    I think the terms like I want to learn authentic this and that make no sense. I know I'll get my a$$ kicked for this but it would be easier just to call everything martial arts but that would be flawed to. To me lineage is like a family tree, if you come from a prince or a bum it doesn't matter much compared to what you are now, lineage should be researched out of personal interest and you should respect your anscetors. Interest and respect should be the motivation not ego, if someone argues with you don't mouthbox you box for real or not at all.

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Royal Dragon Guest

What? No Mouth Boxing??????????

We can't have THAT!! Can we? Where would we be without Mouth Boxing? I say LOST....LOST I Tell Ya....LOST!!!!!

RD

Those that are sucessful are also the biggest failures. the difference between them and the rest of the failures is this, they keep getting up over and over again, until they succeed. "The more they try, the more they fail, BUT, the more they try & fail, the more opertunity they have to succeed, and succeed they do!!"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site & Message Board.

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com or http://www.dreamwater.net/biz/royaldragon/

omegapoint Guest

Yes sir...

Koryu can be translated into modern ebonics to mean "old school". You are right about the traditional Japanese term koryu, which I'm sure the Japanese call their arts and not the Okinawan styles. Trust me brother, a lot of Okinawan Karate is koryu, regardless of how you look at it.

Some books I enjoyed reading and learning from:
    "Martial Musings" by Robert Smith (Outstanding! This guy has trained in everything from Kodokan Judo to Tai Chi); definitely a must read!)

"Okinawan Karate" by Mark Bishop (Mr. Bishop lived and trained on Okinawa. His book has some discrepancies and he is often opinionated, but there is no other source detailing the progenitor Karate styles.)

"The Bubishi" by Patrick McCarthy (Although Mr. McCarthy is a controversial character, you can't deny his passion and knowledge concerning Asian martial science and history.)

So Shaolindynasty, hope this stuff helps and answers some questions. Merryprankster, you're a hardcore badasss, keep it up. The rest of ya'----Good lookin' out!!!

Shaolindynasty Guest
    Hey I'm a hardcore badass to :confused:

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Anybody like Karate?

I think Katare is an underrated art. I like it. I think that if sombody was trained hard in Karate they would be just as capibale of fighting as any style of martial arts. Allot of kungfu guys seem to think they are superior to karate I wonder why?

This thread is not really anything I was just thinking about the bum rap Karate gets.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I think it is under rated, mostly because it is the art in America that has been modified for kids. In its true form Karate is neatO!
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

Hey wow! You mean hard work is the key, more than the style? Who'd a thunk it.

Not making fun of you Shaolin--I think you've hit on a point more people need to pay attention to.

Merryprankster- I read you. Most people think they should be able to defend themselves in "3 easy lessons". I guess what i meant to say is the reason why people see so much ineffective karate is because allot of people don't work as hard as they should, this is also true in Kungfu. Mcdojo is a dirty word to us but allot of karate schools in the USA don't know anything else. But the styles of karate are good.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I like it. Karate always get's the bum rap about being to stiff and linear. While at a good school it may start out that way to get the basics down, it should start to flow at the mid-ranks.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Courtesy of Roy Harris on the BJJ forum from mixedmartialarts.com

Techniques are nothing more than "physical movements." For example, can you do the "Michael Jordan" slam dunking technique? Of course you can, almost everyone can! Though it may not look exactly like his signature dunk, it would be the MJ dunking technique!

Now, the real questions are, "Can you propel your body above the rim like Mr. Jordan can?" and, "Can you keep your body above the rim for as long as he can?"

The ability to propel your body above the rim requires a certain amount of athleticism (read "physical attributes"). If you do not have these physical attributes, does it even matter if you can do a technique like MJ?

For years, we've heard martial arts masters tell us, "It's all about technique!" And, we've bought and paid for it with our blood, sweat and bank accounts.

Most of us come to the conclusion (that technique alone will not get the job done) only after we've been training for "X" amount of years and then some athletic guy walks in off the street and gives us a good run for our money. Suddenly our technique world has been shattered. We think to ourselves, "I don't get it. I've been training for 3 years and this guy, who has no training, walks in off the street and hangs with me for five minutes. Something must be wrong!"

For those who don't know any better (or for those who refuse to let go of the myth), they will repeatedly ask question after quesion, "What technique do I do when the guy does this?" or " What technique do I do with the big strong guys?" What makes matter worse is the big guy keeps coming to group classes and then you find out that he is also taking private lessons.

I know all of this because I've been there before, and I have heard it amongst my students. Plus, I have guys who train with me from other schools who take private lessons JUST TO BEAT the big guys!

Mental knowledge of physical movements will never equal a skill. Only time, effort, patience, discipline and persistence will!!

Lightbulb Question

What kind of karate do you like? Or do you just like karate in general. My friend is going to BC for some Kykoshin tournament, so i had to wish him good luck.
    if you never get into a fight,
    you can never be defeated,
    if you can never be defeated,
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

what is a tree without its roots? what is a man without his arts?

Suicide is the cowards way out...

What style?

I've heard good things about Uechi and Motobu. Of course Shorin being one of the most popular is good too. I guess Shorin Ryu would be my favorite
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

I really enjoy reading books on traditional karate, well all arts in general. I really enjoyed a book by Mas Oyama called essential karate. It has many movements and techniques that most Kung Fu styles hae.

Anyone know which karate style he taught?

Do any of you guys go to open tournaments? Here in El Paso I manage to enter a couple each year. Its a great way to get exposure to other arts. While some schools do not participate regularly I have seen a fair amount of karate and kung fu while attending.
    Be at peace first with your self then you can be at peace with others.

Woohhooo, this might start a controversy, but there it is...here's the citation first:
    "if you pit a karateka against a gong fu exponent who both started studying at the same time, the first three years there is no way gong fu can deal with the sheer brute force of karate...but after ten years of practice, the unrefined sheer brute power of karate can do nothing against the flowing, intricate and subtle ways of gong fu".
    And guess who it is coming from? A tenth dan karate practicionner!!
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.