Some good responses presented.

phantom,

Your question is somewhat loaded. You never gave specifics, just questions. Are you talking about sparring in class? sparring in tournament? real fighting? a particular experience you had in class? These would have some bearing in, at least my response.

Are you of avg speed? Are you more heavier set? WHat level are you?

what is a good strategy to use against a faster opponent?

Speed doesn't necessarily mean much, unless it is in combination with power, then you're in for a grudge match. If you are in a tournament where point contact awards points, then you're in trouble. Generally speaking though, you might be chasing your opponent's hands as opposed to targeting his body. A person's natural reflex is to react in similar fashion to where a strike is headed or you think is headed. This automatically sets your tempo one-step behind your opponent's, thus effectively decreasing your reaction and therefore speed.

Perhaps you strikes/movements are half-hearted. It is hard to tell without actually observing you in action.

Beginner to intermmediate students are prone to slower tempo, as they are still getting comfortable with technique and when what attack/defense would be best used. It's a long learning curve.

How do you deal with someone who is able to block most of your strikes and who often is able to get a good amount of hits in on you?

It sounds like in this case, your opponent is simply better than you. This might require your opponent to take things down a notch when sparring in-kwoon. If he is blocking most of your strikes, my gut feeling is that you are off on your targeting and sincerity in selling your attacks. Like I said, you might be attacking his arms vs his body, in otherwords you are too far away when you attack, as well as moving too slowly.

What happens when he blocks your attacks and you start getting hit? Are you exchanging blows? If that is the case, then this is where speed means less vs power generated. I would rather get hit 3x's by a fast bloke while he sucks in one of my solid strikes. A fair exchange. You might need to work on your intensity as you execute your attack.

In a real fight, you simply lose. I hope you are talking about in-kwoon sparring. You don't have time in a real fight to adjust. Even if you get hit, you shouldbe hitting as well...make sure your 2 strikes count more than his 3 or 4.

I used to spar a large guy in my class. I was much faster and had better technique. He would control almost everyone in the kwoon due to his size. When I sparred with him I had to hit him harder than I normally would in a training situation as if I didn't tag him good enough, he just kept coming in...so much for my speed. When I added some meaning behind my attacks, he felt it. It would affect his attacks and allow me to actually train as opposed to just being a punching bag.

Assess your situation and as people have provided, try different things. The next time he comes at you, stand your ground and stick one hand out into his body and throw 2-3 solid strikes. I bet you will see that you had an effect on him. Then after you learn and adapt more, don't forget to stick and follow.

Hopefully that helped make you think a little.

nospam.