Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Computer Help

OT: Computer Help

Why is it everytime I check my aol email that the screen locks up and the only way to get out is to unplug the machine and replug it in. It only happens on my computer, other computer it works fine.

The login screen is ok
    The screen where you click on the mailbox is ok
    Its only when you get to the screen with the email list.
    When I get there, if I click on a message before the screen is done loading its ok.
    I have to go back and forth to emails before screen is done loading in order for it NOT to lock up.
    This makes it difficult to see and scan through the message header page.

Any help is appreciated.

Amitoufu,

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

switch to roadrunner.

Just kidding. If it keeps happening you may need to reinstall AOL. You will probably lose all of your settings and contacts. You should call their tech support before doing this. I really don't know jack about AOL but usually when a program starts wiggin out like that you need to wipe it out and reinstall, or install a patch. Ahh the wonderful world of windows...
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

If you are using AOL,

1. Get off the crack rock.
    2. Get rid of AOL.

Problem solved.

JWT

AOL Hordes Nazi Gold.
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

AOL

Anything that installs its own dial up adapt is a virus

I view AOL as a VIRUS!!

if u are using dial up... use ATT worldnet.. they were rated the highest and most reliablbe.. it also doesn't use all the prop. GUI interface..

You can use IE and Outlook wit it

Just my opinion though..

(If it locks up all the time you may want to reload AOL)

Aol

Aol is fine, man, everybody just likes to diss on it. I've been using it for years with no problems. Have you tried deleting your temporary internet files? Maybe there is something on that screen that isn't loading correctly. Is it with the aol browser, or are you using another browser to pull up web based aol mail?
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

AOL

See response from JWTAYLOR

John
    Second place is the first loser!

AOL is the Devil.

AOL is the root of all evil.

I suggest you call a priest to exorcise your computer and then reformat it. And then keep a careful eye on it...AOL doesn't take defeat well.

i doubt the temp files are fu ckin him up if it's only the email. i am with jwt. it's a problem with the software ... aol. your computer is telling you that it does not like aol and hopes that you remove it soon.

hit your start menue. select settings and then control pannel (if you are running xp your control pannel will be in the start menue). double click add remove programs. double click on aol. make sure that you highlight every single version when it is done searching. hit next twice and then finish. hit ok.

find another isp. they will work better on your machine.
    where's my beer?

Advise:

Get rid of AO-Hell.
    And add to that list MS-Explorer & Outlook.
    Those 2 are also repsonsible for a lot of problems & Viruses.
    Netscape or Opera are the browsers to use.
    Best is to use 3rd Party Mail program like nPop or similar.

Don't be so quick to add/remove. If you have preferences, buddy lists and contacts you WILL lose everything.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Netscape? Netscape was definetly superior in the 3 version. Ever since it has sucked. I guess my hatred comes from having to develop for it. Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand Microsoft, but it's browser is superior. Use an email client like eudora lite or a free web-based service like metacrawler or budweiser. Maybe hotmail if you don't want to be original.

Its definately not the Temp files I clear those and history(cookies everyday)

I would delete and reload a more friendly isp but this is work and they have their stuff all set up, I dont think they would like me to go changin things.

I am getting the feeling that aol is inferior LOL

I will have try some thing else, I gues I have to call in the big guns(MIS) to settle this one.

It is quite strange though because this did not always happen?

Anyway, thanks for your insight.

Amitoufu,

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

ewallace-
    First the M.O.D thing, now a shared hatred of developing for Netcrap 4+?? Too weird. I personally like Netscape's interpretation of CSS But to be fair, 4+ is a severely outdated piece of software that unfortunately still has enough of a user base to warrant consideration. It will die soon....

In regards to AOL - If you are remotely comfortable with the internet and a computer ditch AOL!!

Netscrape

I always thought Netscape's CSS support was bad. On NT machines (at least win 2k) you have to set the priority level to "below normal" to even process forms. The first release of version 6 (not beta) didn't even support javascript rollovers.I could go on but this is a MA forum.
    v6 looks good. At least it will die in style.

It's defintley aol. In fact you might want to consider removing that windows virus and install linux or free BSD
    Hope is the denial of reality.

We sail the seas, of negativity
    to banish kindness from this place
    (Sans scruples, sans humility)
    To behold the fierceness of wolves
    assailing ye saints thoroughly
    (Sans love, sans compassion)
    To behold the wails of thine in affright
    whilst evil preyeth upon thy hearts
    (Sans warmth, sans pity)
    To behold a world, darkly astir
    rising in madness and mystery