Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striking in the cold

Striking in the cold

When it is cold outside it really bites to strike with a closed fist. If you were confronted while wearing gloves would you try to take them off when possible? I personnaly would try to resort to palm strikes, kicks or striking softer areas (ie not the face). Thoughts anyone?
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Why does it suck to strike with a closed fist? Because of the gloves?

No, I would not take off the gloves, and no, I would still likely use fist strikes where appropriate.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

I have been told that your bones have a better chance of breaking when it is cold. Maybe I was misinformed. Now granted if it was a life/death situation I could care less about a broken hand or two...hell my two right-most knuckles have been broken on and off for the last 6 years. But if it is not I would like to avoid injury at all cost.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I would use palm heel,seiken (usual fist),kuma fist (bear fist),thumb,double dragon finger strike,one finger jab,tegatana (sword/knifehand).
    You may use palms if you donīt want to break your hand (good for beginners)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Your body temperature is pretty stable unless you are suffering from hypothermia. I wouldn't think your bones were any less stable in the cold. If that were the case, you would see allot more broken bones from Alpine climbers.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Hmmm.

My theory is that if you have to fight there isn't time to do anything else. If there were, you wouldn't have to fight. Tho I suppose you could be cornered in a blind alley by a gang that wants to lecture you before they stomp you

I guess its making a tight fist thats the issue? The padding will be the same for palm strikes as fists. So, yeah, I can see your point. I probably wouldn't give it alot of thought at the time and just nurse my knuckles later. However, I train palms alot as I'm paranoid about not making a good fist in time.
    Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

I strike with closed fist
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

The gloves might serve as a bit of protection for your hand. Not that they're built like boxing or MMA gloves, but it may reduce the chances of a hand injury if you happen to connect on too hard of a target.

In the pre-glove UFC's, a broken hand was a somewhat common injury for the competitors. Since gloves became standard, the number of hand injuries has gone down and the competitors are landing some hard shots to the head too.

I'm no expert on this though. I don't even have to wear gloves in the winter here .
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

The moment when you take the gloves off is the moment that you get beat -- both physically, and. more importantly, and first, mentally.

One must be ready ... at all times.

Gloves? So what. It's the mass of your blow that is going to disrupt the other. Also, I have always been a big lover of the heel of the palm strike. It flows loose and natural, and offers more variations to grab or rip once delivered. I still use fists. I let the moment decide.

Do not, repeat, do not take off the gloves. If you have that time, then you can maybe avoid the fight all together. Perhaps doa few rounds of punching a light bag with your gloves on, to get the feel. Its not big deal.

My fault. I was not clear in the beginning of the thread. What I meant to say was if you are wearing gloves would you take them off? And if you were not wearing gloves would you try to strike softer targets with a closed fist or not use a closed fist at all.

Unless I'm sporting an injury, nothing changes. My targets don't change because of what I'm wairing, but can be affected by what the other is wearing (heavy wool sweater and leather jacket, ect).

For the most part I'm going to the chin/throat, collar bone and controling the body through locking up an arm after hitting. Only if the top is covered will I aim lower to floating ribs, kidney, pelvis -- and only after contact has been made and I can feel his intentions.

I wear the Rocky Balboa-esque weightlifting half finger length gloves when i go out somewhere and it's really cold. can still use my fingers, warmer than without any gloves, and it won't hurt my pretty hands if i choose to knock someone out. i don't wear them for a night out though

you'd think they'd look kinda funny, but i *still* look good.

god *dam.n*
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Thumbs up Sharky

If you only wore one you would really look cool.

funny

But only if it's a sequined glove, while your free hand was grabbing your "package" and your pet monkey was blowing your pet llama in your oxygen sleep chamber.
    K. Mark Hoover