Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This sucks! Restrictive rules for competition in UFC

Shaolindynasty Guest

This sucks! Restrictive rules for competition in UFC

These are some very restrictive rules the UFC goes under some of them are very rediculous in that they HEAVILY favor BJJ type fighters. After looking at this foul list can anybody obviouly say that UFC is a style vs. style competition?
    I think I'll just completely ignore someone using "no kungfu in UFC so it isn't reality based" argument from now on.

Fouls:
    Butting with the head. What!?! I see so you have to grapple to get out of the guard.

Eye gouging of any kind. OK

Biting.Ok

Hair pulling.Ok

Fish hooking.I am not sure what this is

Groin attacks of any kind. Disservice to strikers

Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. Ok I can understand that eww

Small joint manipulation. Why?

Striking to the spine or the back of the head. This severly limits defence other than grappleing for the shoot

Striking downward using the point of the elbow.This severly limits defence other than grappleing for the shoot

Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea. Isn't that a kind of choke, oh it's not one usually used by BJJ stylist

Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh. This is heavily used in Kungfu, why is it illeagal? So nobody will get hurt?

Grabbing the clavicle. Why?

Kicking the head of a grounded opponent. Ah so you have to go to the ground to finish your oppenant instead of standing

Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    Stomping a grounded opponent. Ah so you have to go to the ground to finish your oppenant instead of standing

Kicking to the kidney with the heel. Why?

Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. Purpose of Chinese style throws? To throw the opponent to the ground on his head neck etc to cause injury

Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.OK

Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent. So a BJJ guy could use his Gi against you but you can't use it against him? or are gis not allowed anymore

Spitting at an opponent. OK

Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent. OK

Holding the ropes or the fence. Ok

Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area. OK

Attacking an opponent on or during the break.OK

Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee. OK

Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded
    the end of the period of unarmed combat.OK

Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee. OK

Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.OK

Interference by the corner.OK

Throwing in the towel during competition.OK

With so many rules how are other fighters supposed to win this thing now? They can't, this competition is deffenitly not style vs style anymore

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Tigerstyle Guest
    BTW: Fishhooking is when you put your finger(s) into your opponents mouth and pull (like a fish getting hooked). I think that one was added because Tank Abott used it (along with trying to throw the opponent oput of the ring).

Tigerstyle Guest
    Ironically, kicking to the kidney with the heel was a move Royce Gracie used often from the guard in the early UFC's.

I had heard (RUMOR ALERT) that someone he used that on in one of the events had blood in his urine after the show. I can't back that statement up with any proof though, so feel free to disregard it if you like.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    Could be true that happened to my sifu when he was in shotokan.

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

Ming the Merciless Guest
    See UFC matches are all fixed. Just like Tank said.

SifuAbel Guest
    The small joint manipultion and the no hitting the guy while he's on all fours is by far the biggest fix. Hitting with the elbow point is too effective against an exposed head to be allowed. Grabbing the clavicle or stiking any nerve point would make it very difficult stay close.

Are you immortal?
    sifuabel@yahoo.com

Royal Dragon Guest

What's this?

"Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.OK"

OK?

I can see the faking injury and dropping mouth peices, but timidity? Avoiding direct confrontation is a "Classic" Kung Fu stratigy. How do the judges know your not playing a plan to draw your opponent in?

Example, an opponent charges, and you avoid, avoid and avoid untill he's over extended, then your change tactics and go on the offence, wile he is in "emptyness".

Also, on second thought, faking an injury "Could" be used strategically to draw your opponent in , where you want him too, and "could" be considered another "Classic" Kung Fu stratigy falling under the use of "Tricks" and "Deception" techniques commonly used in Kung fu systems.

"Holding the ropes or the fence. Ok"

Also, what wrong with this? Aren't Ninja types SUPOSED to use thier surroundings in a fight? Does'nt this limit the use of THEIR systems too?

A fight is a fight, and the world is full of fences, why NOT use them in the octogon?

"Throwing in the towel during competition.OK"

Wait, another stupid rule!! What if your fighter is getting killed? It's ok for boxers to throw in the towel for the atlete's saftey, why not here?

Royal Dragon

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Ming the Merciless Guest
    why is faking an injury not allowed? You could sucker someone in with that. Oh wait a minute, I forgot, this is reality fighting. haha.

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    You guys need to remember the fights need to be entertaining enough to watch. This means that some techs need to be banned.

KC Elbows Guest
    Elbow points are entertaining. :cool:

Just joking, I'm assuming you're referring to the evading combat thing. However, to the lay person, spending ten minutes locking on some bjj technique is not exactly lightning paced action, but you don't see any limits on that.

LEGEND Guest
    LOL...the first 3 UFC's had all very few rules...unfortunately...the POLITICIANs stepped in and cause alottttttttttttttttttt of problems...now u have the water down UFC.

A

Silumkid Guest
    Funny how a lot of these techniques were not banned until Royce quit attending. I seem to remember him using hair pulling ALL THE TIME! In fact, I believe that was how he managed to sink the choke on Kimo.

Reality my @ss.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

KC Elbows Guest
    I don't really have any problem with UFC, I just think too many people confuse it with a true fight. I mean, if someone shoots for me, they get the elbow, and if I get a chance, I'm definitely going to chin na someone into a downward elbow and try to finish the fight.

However, I recognize that people would be dying/crippled left and right without some rules, I just wish people would realize the limitations of these competitions. Of course, I think I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, as most of the (experienced) grapplers/noholds barred fighters on this forum are fully aware of the advantages and limitations of these competitions.

Theogenes Guest
    You have to remember, the first UFC's did not have those rules. UFC 1-4 only had the following rules:
    1. No eye gouges
    2. No fish hooking

Everything else was allowed, so it did do a fairly good job of showcasing one art against another art. Also, a couple other early NHB competitions were the same way, including Superbrawl, Extreme fighting, world combat championships, and of course, international vale tudo. Its only really been in the past couple years that we've seen so many rules and restrictions.

SifuAbel Guest

makeing all other things equal............

What I want to see in these matches is more refined striking ability. Their is no doubting power in what they are doing now. These guys train their cheeks off. But, all too often you see nothing more than haymakers and bowlers as token to a shoot. Here an d there you see some cool handwork but it's few and far between.

Perhaps the players in todays venues just need more time. Some of these guys haven't trained for that long. It does take a few years for the understanding of boxing to sink in. The older f olks on the board will relate to this. Also concidering that it comes second in their training, it might take still more time.

I'm NOT taking away from those around that can do well with hands. But some can stand a bit of improvement.

Are you immortal?
    sifuabel@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by MaestroAbel on 10-05-01 at 03:52 PM.]