Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: This sucks! Restrictive rules for competition in UFC

Stacey Guest

Pathetic Excuses

What would you prefer? San Shou? Give me a break. UFC is the best thing kung fu has seen.

San Shou limits you far more than the UFC. UFC is a sport. I say, take the shot if you have it. YOu can lose, but if the other guy is knocked out it is easy to see who really won. Thats what I used to love about the UFC. One winner, one loser, no question. Rarely a judges decision.

Well its still the best. Most places don't charge to compete or even pay you vs. San shou which can be pretty pricey.

If your scared of another fighting range, then may I suggest TKD pointfighting? Thats what everyone else who can't play sports does. If you can't hang, do TKD. You may even go to the olympics and be a king amoung nerds.

LOL! I'm glad I just skipped to the last page!

Watch your mouth call TKD pointfighting lame!
    We're a nation of immigrants. Just like you. Just older, wiser, more thoroughly mixed, with larger genitals and a greater capacity for drink and sex-
    S Abrutat

"After looking at this foul list can anybody obviouly say that UFC is a style vs. style competition?"

I've got news for you it quit being style vs Style sometime between 10 and 15. And oh yeah, BJJ and Wrestling won.

-----------------------------------------

"Butting with the head. What!?! I see so you have to grapple to get out of the guard."

In all of the 70+ events that I have watched, From UFC, Pride, AFC, WVC, IVC, Mecca, Shooto, etc. That rule hurt Wrestlers the most by far.

-------------------------------------
    "Fish hooking.I am not sure what this is"

That's where you stick your finger in a guys mouth or nose and pull on it. This probably isn't a good explanation. But Oh well.

----------------------------------------

"Small joint manipulation. Why?"

Probably political more than anything, I've never seen anybody really even try that anyway.
    ---------------------------

"Striking to the spine or the back of the head. This severly limits defence other than grappleing for the shoot"

yes, but most of the time when anybody would strike to this area it's when they have the guys back with their hooks in. So IMHO that one hurts grapplers more than strikers.

----------------------------------------------------

"Striking downward using the point of the elbow.This severly limits defence other than grappleing for the shoot"

This is a weirdly enforced rule, they allow an arching elbow/forarm strike, but if you watch guys like Tito Ortiz, he uses the point of the elbow.

-------------------------------------

"Kicking the head of a grounded opponent. Ah so you have to go to the ground to finish your oppenant instead of standing

Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    Stomping a grounded opponent. Ah so you have to go to the ground to finish your oppenant instead of standing"

Most Hardcore MMA fans ***** about these rules. These are Political more than anything else. Because they look "too savage". Pride allows them.

------------------------------------------

"Kicking to the kidney with the heel. Why?"

The only people that I ever saw use these were BJJ Posterboys the Gracies.

-----------------------------------------

"Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent. So a BJJ guy could use his Gi against you but you can't use it against him? or are gis not allowed anymore"

This is to prevent stalling, and seeing the fighter's asses. Go watch Millitech vs Burnette and you will be glad they instituted this rule. Also Gi's aren't allowed in the UFC.

---------------------------------------

"They can't, this competition is deffenitly not style vs style anymore"

again it quit being a Style vs Style match a long time ago.
    -------------------------------

Why isn't none of you guys ever mention how stand ups and Rds, hurt grapplers?

lol@Ford Prefect, that's what I did too. Everyone on this page is correct.

Well, let's look at another one..

>Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

While i'm not exactly a Kung Fu stylist, this rule takes my art completely out of the running. Most everything we do is based on evasions! I couldn't even attempt to use 90% of my arsenal because it would be 'avoiding contact'. I hardly call that inclusive or realistic.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Here is my take on it.

UFC, Pride, K1 and many other like them are moving slowly but surely into the public domain and with that comes a profit margin for the organisers.

A Profit margins mean that the viewers decide which rules and which formats the Competitions will use.

Go against the paying public and your profit margins drops.

So I think e will see quiet a few rule adjustements over the next few years, some for the better and some not.

Just my 2 Yen worth.

Justice,

What they are talking about is refusal to engage. You're allowed to evade and counter attack, but you aren't allowed to just run away from the opponent

Yeah Justice I think you're taking the rules a little too literally there. It doesn't mean you have to let your opponent hit you.

BTW, just a quick diversion, what's a heelhook? I've heard a lot about them being quite nasty, but I don't know what they are.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist