Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch - does your sifu do this?

I would sometimes catch the words "Dont worry, i'm not going to hurt you" in mid-air.

Arm bars feel gay.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

Any instructor who manages to hurt you has failed in his Duty of Care. Bruised forearms and STRAINED LIGAMENTS are nothing to be sneezed at. Injured parties should immediately file lawsuits and seek out the United Nations, the Center for Disease Control, Amanesty International and Congress for reparations. (See Goktimus vs. Sifu and Goktimus vs. Reality for the precedent setting judgements in this case)

Your case for an instructor's failure re: Duty of Care is on much firmer ground if at any time you cry out during training: "Ouch! That hurts! Stop it!" and the training continues.

It also helps if you have a face like a dropped pie.
    K. Mark Hoover

Smile

Sifu was never one to inflict pain. On the other hand Sensei had a teaching style that was to demonstrate a technique and stay on it until you said you had it. The next day he would ask you to demonstrate. If you couldn't do it , he would demonstrate with enough force to really get your attention (and cry out). I don't remember any third lessons on the same technique.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

In aikido, it is a common concept that you must learn by falling (receiving throws). Therefore, you have to be tossed around inorder to learn. You get what you give, so if you rush in and try to smash sensei's face, you should expect to be thrown hard. This is appropriate if you ukemi is up to speed, and no body should get hurt (maybe a bit dizzy).

Sometimes beginners want to really know if the techniques work, and will offer a bit to much resistance for their own good (I have done this). Sensei Imaizumi responds with a throw generated by that intense resistance, but tries his best to make the person fall safely (by cathing his head or lifting him a bit at the end etc).

So I think you can strike a balance between Duty of Care and giving people what they need and/or want. One might even go o far as to say aikido was developed around the concept of Duty of Care.

Arrow Striking

Although occasionally when my sifu demonstrates moves it hurts slightly, there is no real pain.

In Kung Fu Mag it said you must eat bitter to be a good martial artist, I agree with this to a point but surely your sifu should have more control? I could never stay at a class where the sifu was aggressive, it is the whole point behind kung fu - it was invented by peaceful monks as oposed to using it for killing such as in karate.

I think the main point really is whether you feel comfortable with it, if not maybe consider a different sifu?

"...the whole point behind kung fu - it was invented by peaceful monks as oposed to using it for killing such as in karate."

Are you sure about this?
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall