Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK get together

UK get together

Hi All

Just wondering if any of you UK based practitioners are interested in organising/attending/assisting a get together similar to the friendship seminars that have been held in the states?

Obviously the event should be NON POLITICAL and just a meet up with some FRIENDLY comparisons, Chi Sau, meal and most importantly BEER!!!!

I have discussed this before but nothing ever materialised due to lack of response.

IMHO this is the sort of thing we all need to become involved in to start to bring the family back together, rather than keep it fragmented like it is now.

Perhaps a combined event with all profits going to a reputable charity (Cancer research, NSPCC, Yip Man Tong etc)

Any Ideas ?

Regards

Dave F
    'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

Hi Dave - I suppose youd guessed Id reply ! But seriously though - this has been on my mind for some time.

Politics is ****, and im sure weve all been guilty of it at some point.

I would love to get together with all the kung fu brothers for a weekend. I can muster up quite a few from old pals in various associations. The hall I train in is pretty big, pemanent mook, loads of parking. Also Swansea is great for a knees up - coastal town, loads of cheap B&B's, tons of pubs, great nightlife and the infamous Mumbles Mile pub crawl which is a top laugh.

I am more than happy to get involved in attending or orgainising, assuming theres enough interest.

Lets hear from the UK wing chun community !!

Regards, Stu

What is the wing chun organisation for the UK? Also, if you have a list of member clubs, how many are in Scotland and where abouts are they? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Hughes.

There is no single association for Wing Chun in the UK.

Many different lineages and associations run classes in the uk.

Check out Rene Ritchie's web site www.wingchunkuen.com for links to some of the better known teachers.

Also check the link in my profile for our association website.
    I believe there are some Scottish clubs to be listed soon.

I'll e-mail some friends and find out what i can.

BTW, what area of Scotland are you in?

Regards

Dave F
    Last edited by Dave Farmer; 02-03-2002 at 02:49 PM.

Hughes - Sifu Kwok's association has clubs in Glasgow and I think Edinburgh. If you go to Sifu Billy Davidsons site - www.chingmo.com - you will find a list of all instructors authorised by Samuel Kwok.

By the way Dave - I hope the friendship things doesnt fizzle out - Id be well up for it. Talking to 3/4 of my students on the weekend and they were well keen !!

Regards, Stuart

Thanks for the links guys imma check them out just now. I could get to Glasgow by car in like 10-20 mins so that is very do-able. Thanks again.

I'd be well up for the get together depending on where it was held. Im sure a few of my mates would be interested too. How many people do you think we would need to get involved to make it work. Any sugestions for when it could take place?

I'm In

Great Idea, I would be interested,

I could round up maybe a dozen or so individuals (Wing Chun a bit ropey - with a few exceptions) but we can all eat and drink with the best of them.

Keep me informed, I'm central and i am prepared to travel anywhere (within reason)

Nat from UK

Glad to see a few more responses here. I dont think we'd need that money to make it work (small acorns.....). As i said earlier i could get quite a few from the South Wales area, and Swansea is a good place to eat, drink etc etc.

I dont mind travelling though if that suits people better. I guess the best time to hold it would be spring / summer.

I think events like these would go a long way to improving relations in the UK WC world. Lets make the effort and make it happen.

Thoughts??

Cheers, Stu

OOps !! My last message was meant to say 'many' rather than 'money'.

I have no finacial interest in this event just in case my subliminal slip of the tongue worried you !!!!!!

Regards, S

Hi ish, Nat

IMHO, this event should be more of an informal joint training,discussion session.

If we start comparing who does what best and try to judge each others quality there's a danger of it turning into either a ego fluffer or an advertising opportunity.

The financial side isn't important as there is no intention on my part to turn it into such.

the only thing is to cover costs for venue.

I don't profess to my wing chun being all that special anyway.

As stated earlier, I'm just hoping we can start to break down a few barriers, recognise that even tho we all do things slightly differently, when it all boils down to it we are all the same style and the 'BS' that we as a system have gone through seems to be worse than any other.

Me personally, if someone can do something in a better way than i currently do, my ego isn't bruised, i just want them to show me how to do it!!!

The venue should obviously be easily accessable to all, not overly expensive and able to hold enough people.

The numbers could be as many as possible tho a reasonable figure around 50 may be a start.

I just hope we can all look beyond the narrow minded attitudes of the past and bring the family back together.

I'm going to work on a shortlist of venues in various loactions in the uk, with the majority to make the final call.

Regards

Dave F

Dates

How about posting some tentative dates ??

and venues ??

and see what happens.

Nat from UK

Working on it!!!!!

As soon as venues and rough dates of availability have been sourced I'll put them up.

Anyone with any ideas, please post or e mail.

Also how about themes, subject matter, programme etc..
    Theres a lot to cover!!

Regards

Dave F.

Hi Dave - ive got roughly 10 interested now. Dont know if you were interested in my Swansea offer? Maybe central england would be more suitable?

I think its better not to have themes - maybe we should just all do chi sao, look at each others forms, footwork ?? The more relaxed the better IMHO.

I think beer should be a definite theme though !!!!

Any thoughts...

Regards, Stu

Cheers stuart.

Got Swansea down, also looking for venues in midland, london area, Newcastle/north east.

Would still like to give the event some sort of 'timetable' so it doesn't just devolve into a 'free for all' or just have people stand around talking about last nites TV.

(honestly have seen this at a number of 'seminars')

I was thinking along the lines of:

1) Signing in / Registration.

2) Introductions.

3) Light Warm up.

4) general forms demo.

5) Refreshment break

6) Chi Sau

7) warm down.

8) Photos session

9) PUB ;-)

Obviously this is just a quick sort of 'menu' but it should be only a loose plan to give people some idea of what to expect.

Regards

Dave F