View Poll Results: Dealing with other styles in your MA training.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cross-train in many styles.

5 29.41%
  • Spar with other stylists, but don't learn their system.

11 64.71%
  • Neither. (pls. give explanation)

1 5.88%

Thread: Vote on this!

Angry Vote on this!

Hi all.

Please, vote on the above Poll.

The Question is about what you should do in your MA training to be able to fight against practicioner from other styles like BJJ, Muay Thai,etc.

Should you cross-train in the other styles, or try to find answers to their attacks within your own system?

I voted, but I still give an extra explanation.

For me there is no need to crosstrain or do MMA.

As I think that each system has all the answers to any form of attack, BUT it is up to the practicioner/student to find those counters himself.

In order to do so he needs to spar/train with other stylists, but should not pick up their system.
    IMHO, most People that cross-train or do MMA are not skilled/instructed enough in their own system to find those counters.

The other reason why I am against cross-training is an economic one.

If I train partially in lets say BJJ, I still cannot defeat a full-fledged BJJ stylist as he will be better at his game than me.

So, personally I would rather spend the time finding the counter in my own system, than trying to become mediocre in another style.
    Just my 0.2yen worth.

"As I think that each system has all the answers to any form of attack, BUT it is up to the practicioner/student to find those counters himself."

This is a bit strange. Isn't it more efficient to find someone who knows and can teach an effective counter to a certain move than to find it yourself? Most kung fu stylists I've talked to over the net continue to come up with pretty ridiculous counters to the double-leg takedown, even after all their years of training. The counters I was using (which I attempted to cull from tai chi principles) when I sparred wrestlers were pretty inneffective until I learned what a sprawl was and how to do it properly.

"If I train partially in lets say BJJ, I still cannot defeat a full-fledged BJJ stylist as he will be better at his game than me."

Not necessarily true. If you know basic defenses and simply refuse to play his game, you can successfully use "mediocre" BJJ skill to defeat a talented jiu-jitsu stylist - this is the entire principal behind "sprawl and brawl". Igor Vovchanchyn, for example, does not have grappling that's anywhere near the level of say, Carlos Baretto, Fransisco Bueno, Mark Kerr, or Enson Inoue, but because he had a basic understanding of grappling, he was able to use strategy to fight to his strengths - striking.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Nemo
    "As I think that each system has all the answers to any form of attack, BUT it is up to the practicioner/student to find those counters himself."

This is a bit strange. Isn't it more efficient to find someone who knows and can teach an effective counter to a certain move than to find it yourself? Most kung fu stylists I've talked to over the net continue to come up with pretty ridiculous counters to the double-leg takedown, even after all their years of training. The counters I was using (which I attempted to cull from tai chi principles) when I sparred wrestlers were pretty inneffective until I learned what a sprawl was and how to do it properly.

I think that somebody that can show you 1 answer can help. But in the end it is still you and how you apply that technique.

I have seen techniques that worked great for some, but I couldn't get them to work for me and had to find my own solution.

"If I train partially in lets say BJJ, I still cannot defeat a full-fledged BJJ stylist as he will be better at his game than me."

Not necessarily true.

Agreed, Never said it was. There are no absolutes, and I assume that People reading my Posts are aware of that.

My point being that it is unlikely that a Person studying BJJ parttime, will be able to defeat a fulltime practicioner who has the same length of time in the Art.

But than it again also depends on both Parties, their skill, natural ability,etc.

You see no absolutes to anything, nothing ever is 100% or Black & White.