Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which leg stretcher?

Which leg stretcher?

There are about 5 different ones that I have seen in catalogs and black belt magazine. Which one is the best?
    Train for precision. Speed and force will follow.

Which one is the best?
    You are. I have never been a big supporter of those kind of things. You can gain all the flexiblity you need doing standard stretches. Better to spend your money on a heavy bag or some private time with your instructor. JMO
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I'm pretty much with ewallace on this one...ground/body stretching is A-OK in my book. Besides, using your arms to assist in stretching can afford you the addition of some principles such as PNF stretching. The only stretching aid I ever liked personally was the simple rope pulley.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Agree with the above. Spend your money on Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically or Pavel Tsatsouline's Beyond Stretching.

who needs leg stretchers JUMP!!!!!!!! JUST JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!! man you jives get all this jive that helps you stetchs meanwhile you could just stetch yourself and make yourself an extention.

If you are REALLY, REALLY inflexable like I used to be a leg stretcher is pretty handy. Most of the folks on the board have never experienced legs so tight that you can not actually sit without bending your legs, or even lean over without bending your legs.
    After my motorcycle wreck and subsequent surgeries, I was that inflexable.

I used the one by Century, the "StretchMaster" or something like that. I liked it just fine, and it helped me get to the point that I could stop using it and just stretch on the floor.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Originally posted by ewallace
    You are. I have never been a big supporter of those kind of things. You can gain all the flexiblity you need doing standard stretches.
    The knees are a joint, and as such they are capable of sustaining much less weight than a straight longbone like the thigh. It is never advisable to attempt to stretch a joint. The joints are not meant to be stretched. So when you stretch using your feet against a wall or the floor trying to do the splits, the amount of pressure that you are putting on the knees is not good, in fact it is dangerous. I have often felt like my knees would give way when doing these kinds of stretches.
    Now if you could put the pressure on the thigh bone only, as is the case when using the leg stretch devices, then the amount of stretching you can accomplish is much more, because you are not limited to what your knees can handle, instead you are only limited to what your muscles can handle, which is the reasone we stretch to begin with. Therefore it looks to me like the leg stretch device is the better and safer way to do it. Because it allows you to make progress faster, and it spares your knees.

Originally posted by anerlich
    Agree with the above. Spend your money on Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically or Pavel Tsatsouline's Beyond Stretching.
    I'm not familiar with those. What are they and where can they be ordered?

That may very well be. If it bothers your knee joint than by all means do something else. However, thousands and thousands of athletes have plenty of flexiblity by doing normal stretches. Otherwise those leg stretchers would be in every high school, gym and kwoon.

Someone mentioned a stretching tape by Tom Kurz. If that is the tape with the dude doing the splits with his feet on two chairs with a chick sitting on his leg, then I would recommend that too. I havn't looked at it for many years but I remember seeing some good results from it. I think I will dig in my boxes of junk to try and find that tape too.

By the way, where did you copy and paste that from?

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Originally posted by JWTAYLOR
    I used the one by Century, the "StretchMaster" or something like that. I liked it just fine, and it helped me get to the point that I could stop using it and just stretch on the floor. JWT
    Excellent. The Stretchmaster is one of the 5 that I have seen ads for and that I may purchase.

That may very well be. If it bothers your knee joint than by all means do something else. However, thousands and thousands of athletes have plenty of flexiblity by doing normal stretches.
    Well put. I have noticed that. I know a guy who has never had much of a hard time doing the splits, but cannot easily touch his toes. I on the other hand have always found it easy to touch my toes (and then some), but not to do the splits. It must differ from person to person.
    Someone mentioned a stretching tape by Tom Kurz. If that is the tape with the dude doing the splits with his feet on two chairs with a chick sitting on his leg, then I would recommend that too. I havn't looked at it for many years but I remember seeing some good results from it. I think I will dig in my boxes of junk to try and find that tape too.
    If I ever decide to order a tape on the subject I'll conisder it.
    By the way, where did you copy and paste that from?
    Anything I quoted in this thread was from this thread.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying anything bad about these contraptions. If you really are stuck and think it will help then by all means go for it. By the way, what exactly do you want to be so flexible for? You do know that kicking to the head is generally not a good idea right ? Unless of course an opponent is on the ground, then kicking to the head is definitely socially acceptable!

Considering that most persons who I might possibly ever get into a real a fight with are most likely less adept at dodging a headkick than I am, means it's almost a sure thing that I would land a kick to their head
    This is a thought that must get out of your head immediately. You never know who you will be confronted by, attacked by, threatened by.

Most trained fighters can spot that kick from a mile away. Especially as an opening move. If you can get them in the head with a spin kick you will most certainly be able to get them with any hand strike. Think about what is safer for you. Spin Kick to face = Opening up kidneys, spine, back of neck, achellies(sp?), possibility of them catching your leg. Hand Strike = ... well if you hit from your centerline and don't telegraph your intent, you won't leave much open in the way of a target to an unsuspecting opponent. The key word in the above sentence is telegraph.

Generally I don't let a kick go above the groin of an opponent unless they are bent over or turned around, in which case I will usually resort to knees or elbows.

I'm sure others will have some pretty strong opinions on this as well.

By the way, what exactly do you want to be so flexible for? You do know that kicking to the head is generally not a good idea right?
    Well mainly because people I respect are flexible like that, and can kick to the head. I would like to have that kind of versatility. I know kicking to the head is considered not a good idea. Is that because the opponent can possibly sweep you while doing it? I know it is very difficult to throw an opponent while they are kicking to your head because I have tried that at least twice, and got hit both times. Sweeping may be possible. Now if you catch your opponent off guard you are less likely to get sweeped. I have a freind who spin kicked a taller guy in the head during a TKD tourament and put the guy down instantly. He didn't see it coming. The same guy once tried to kick me in the head and I amost didn't get out of the way in time, so I know that a fast high spin kick can be effective.
    The category I would put spin kicks into is the "know what you're doing" category. A person should know what they are doing when executing the technique. They should know that their opponent is offguard, or otherwise not in a position to sweep, or else lacks the skills to sweep.

(EDIT: Rewrote post to better reflect my thoughts.)

I see you caught my post before I could rewrite it.
    This is a thought that must get out of your head immediately. You never know who you will be confronted by, attacked by, threatened by.
    That's true. You never know how well trained they might be. Good point.
    Most trained fighters can spot that kick from a mile away. Especially as an opening move. If you can get them in the head with a spin kick you will most certainly be able to get them with any hand strike. Think about what is safer for you. Spin Kick to face = Opening up kidneys, spine, back of neck, achellies(sp?), possibility of them catching your leg. Hand Strike = ... well if you hit from your centerline and don't telegraph your intent, you won't leave much open in the way of a target to an unsuspecting opponent. The key word in the above sentence is telegraph.
    Interesting. What kind of attack do they use to strike the kidneys etc. during a high spin kick? I had a very hard time doing it when I tried it.
    (EDIT) I also tried catching the leg before but that didn't work. I still got hit by his leg. I'll have to re-examine the idea of high kicks. It seems there's more to the "don't kick high" idea than I thought. So what do you think about a fighter being flexible enough to do the splits? Is this even useful in your opinion? I would think that is still could be for such things as low kicks or sweeps.
    Last edited by jointlock; 02-28-2002 at 04:30 PM.