Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body Mechanics of Baji's Stomping Method?

"We actually have something like that, except we don't stomp with it. We do the ball of the foot shuffle thing with elbow strikes."

Well, Baji does that for elbows too. And oh do I love Baji elbows! Now all I need is some oomph in them. Maybe in a few more years.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

Some of Master Su's tapes have very good basic traiining but I think they are still in Japanese (he has a number of baji schools in Japan).
    My Baji tape from Su Yu Chang is in Japanese but comes with a mini manual printed in English.

Daredevil:

If you go to our article in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts Vol. 8, no. 4, 1999, pp 93-4, we list the translations for some of the footwork:

Xiong Bu bear step
    Nian Bu rolling step
    Duo Bu stomping step
    Ti Long Huan Bu rising change step

The simplified Chinese characters are there too so you teacher could point out similarities and differences.

You'll also find the Bajiquan Sixteen Word Verse, Bajiquan Five Elements: Storing and Releasing Energies; Baji Essentials; and the Basic Stance Work of Bajiquan.

We also list the 3 basic energies (jings) of baji but there are more than three. Rotating the dan tian is partially accomplished through the simple movements of the da qiang but baji also has a different way of storing and releasing energy from the stomach area.

I hope you can order a back copy of the article, if you are interested.

Good Luck.

I brought back this dinosaur since I have since learned of my teacher's Baji lineage.

He first learned Baji from Zhang Xuchu, then later more from Han Longquan (the son and student of Han Huiqing).

It's all inhttp://www.kolumbus.fi/baji/lubaochun.htm.

Just crossed my mind.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

Daredevil:

The photos look great and so does your lineage.

You can't go wrong with baji and chen taiji.

Train well!!!

Wujidude:

I still train baji but feel 20 years behind (skill not physical). I don't think I can catch up. However, the benefits I receive from baji greatly help my taiji and I play much better than I did 12 years ago.

In baji, I basically focus on 3 things: xiao baji, liu da kai (just learned it a month ago), and the da qiang. I keep everything very basic. Once you get passed the xiao baji stance training, it actually is pretty good. What makes it tough is the constant practice of the basics and the need to do it on your own. Although physically demanding (as is every system practiced honestly) there is also a psychological price that is seldom discussed (Liu had the luxury of being rich and having his own personal trainer for over 10 years). Martial arts training is not well supported socially (people think you are crazy and should be golfing or at a spa). I watch the young guys training and they now have at their finger tips the instruction that was so well hidden over the past 20 years. However they have so much to settle in their everday lives (finding a girlfriend, getting a job and fitting the training into the schedule) that it becomes impossible to get deeply into the system. On that note, it really is a dying art.

As far as bagua goes, the basic training actually, just feels good, in fact, very good and its also a fascinating art. Intuitively, it seems to fit very well. On days I get tired of the circle, I drop into the bagua leg routine (or any of the other quasi-linear forms) and the bagua sword and it keeps me happy. I trade them (baji and bagua) off on alternative days but there are weeks in which the schedule doesn't always work.

About 3 weeks ago I went to a highly trained (Eastern/Western) TCM doctor (he does most of our students) and he found my overall health to be in pretty good shape (good pulse reading and no need for treatment). During the past year I have really spent time training in the bagua basics and he also seemed to think it might be related to the practice.

BTW, I don't think there is anything inherent in baji that would prevent you from playing it into your 70s (Miller and Cartmell's Xing Yi Nei Gong book opened my eyes to the possibilities in baji since I see its training very similar to Xing Yi). You just can't train like you did in your 20s. Of all the systems I have studied, I probably understand baji/pi gua the best and feel most comfortable in it knowledge wise. However, I have only got a smattering of what Liu knew about bagua and its prompted my hunger: I want more. You know, Liu was very quiet on what he knew, especially regarding bagua and taiji.

Another thing is that there also is a beauty and flow to systems like taiji and bagua and I am not sure I see it in baji (its beauty lies in its structure and explosiveness). I am a bit concerned about Feng Zhiqiang's take on martial arts training, especially the stomping. Maybe he is on to something and I will be reading him more carefully in the future.

In case you didn't see, here is a clip from Ma Long's website of GM Liu doing baji lian huan and I believe he is in his 60s. You also get a real tiny clip of Du Yu Ze playing lao jia.

http://www.wutang.org/

How about yourself? Are you into Yi Quan and Chen's taij? I bet the Yi Quan training is similar to xiao baji training.

PS: Went back to PA and got a case of the Yuengling beer and two cases of Stoney's (pure grain beer, no preservatives, no sugar and its been that way since my grandfather drank it). If they marketed Stoney's right, it could be the next Rolling Rock!!

Thanks for the inquiry and I hope I have not been too long winded. I am avoiding doing the household choirs today.

While on this subject, I could elaborate a little more on what I previously wrote on Baji stomping mechanics. I said:

"The movement of the leg or foot can somewhat resemble a stomp, but it is more a change of weight distribution accompanied with turn of the foot. In practising it, you go from a cat-stance/empty-stance in to a horse stance during it. The 'stomping' foot is the empty leg, which becomes the forward leg of the horse stance (the horse is not set with the crotch facing the opponent, like one sees in some styles)."

This is still true to a large extent, but my teacher just recently taught us a second type of step/stomp to perform the same action. We're supposed to slowly phase into using this step. It seems like a more advanced form of the same, basically just going rather straight down like a more regular stomp, instead of emphasising the turning of the foot. Well, you'd have to see the difference, but my point is that it is a bit more of a stomp than the earlier version. He also said there is a third way to do it, but that's for later. Maybe I'll post again in a year or so.

Very cool, but messed up my hard acquired technique. I feel like I just started anew. Baji is tough and humbling work.

As for the other new posts on this thread, interesting reads folks. My teacher often talks about Feng and his taiji skills, so it's interesting reading about him. He's said that after reaching a plateau in his Taijiquan training with someone else, he searched far and wide in China for actual, practical knowledge of Taijiquan and found only Feng to possess a true depth of it.

Keep training, people.

So this is what a thread is supposed to look like - respectful
    exchange of knowledge/opinions.

Thanks to everyone - this was all extremely informative - it's going straight to the printer.