Thread: Does a grappling art make a effective striker

Talking Does a grappling art make a effective striker

I the middle of getting my a$$ tossed 20 ft in the air and landing on a cement floor.. I had a weird thought (dont ask me why).. On any grappling art you must learn to fall effectively... dont care if it is Shuai Chiao, BJJ, Judo, or whatever... By falling, a person toughens up his/her body right.. To the point where it doesn't really hurt (that much ) .. Does this allow you to absorb or take a punch or kick easier? I also do full contact and found out after a number of years of Shuai Chiao.. the punches and kicks dont hurt THAT much now.. reflecting on my past TaeKwonDoe experience.. granted I have had my share of KO's also

What do yall think??? Does grappling effect striking??

I don't think that falling practice raises your threshold of pain, rather you become more skilled at "engaging the ground" and minimising the trauma that comes from falling, thus you get hurt or winded less often.

I don't think it necessarily translates to absorbing punches or other strikes, other than both require you to relax and move with the force so as to dissipate it evenly.

Luke Beston posted on the Underground once his "theory" that BJJ had the best strikers because other NHB strikers were too scared of the BJJ'ers takedowns to be able to commit to their strikes, but only the real gullible took that post seriously.

Learning how to grapple doesn't help u develop pain tolerance against strikes...only against submission takes and takedowns.
    A

My experience is that grappling makes your body that much more compact and strong. Especially the mid-section of the body gets really strong. With this I mean that when I'm doing WC and I get close to my WC brothers, e.g. getting an arm around their body, they now they are f0cked. I simple overpower them if I am not throwing their a$$. The problem is getting close enough...

I'm definitley a stronger, more durable and tougher opponent now then b.g.(before grappling), more versitile and this makes me a better striker!

So

So I think what yall are saying is that the general physical aspect of wrestling helps develope the muscles and body structure to HELP withstand the trauma of a strike?

Hmm makes sense to me

Empirically

the answer is probably a resounding NO!!! There is no correlation between landing on your back and damaging your spine to say Iron shirt conditioning. I think you'll find the methodology is different.

Sure why not?

I remember my very first day of wrestling ever. I hurt so bad in places I didn't know I had things that could hurt, that I had to roll over, and get out of bed by sliding my feet down to the floor, belly down on the bed. We won't get into what picking up my backpack took

So I think that the sheer level of physical conditioning probably helps.

Knowing how to grapple will help your standup by: teaching you to defend against takedowns,knowing how to escape bad positions so you can get back on your feet,etc.

Look at V.Silva: A BJJ purplebelt but mostly a Muay Thai Destruction Machine.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Falling

In regards to falling on your back and damaging your spine... I think the art of falling "correctly" should be enforced.. granted each art has their own way of falling

I think falling and rolling definatley toughens you up, but I don't think that it makes you a more effective striker.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

GGL

I've noticed that grappling has totally changed the way I approach striking. Combinations are no longer important to me. Striking is now a way into the throw. I also really don't care if I hit you or not anymore, as long as it gets me close enough to... well, you know
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Thumbs up Yeah

yeah WD that about sums up my philsophy bout entry and attack.. I have forgone the effort to purely try to knock someone out... he$$ let gravity take care of it..