Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Ettish interview up!

Fred Ettish interview up!

For those who don't know, Fred Ettish fought in UFC II...back in the bygone days of bareknucks, no biting, no eyegouges, no finger breaks, no time limits, no weight classes. He had his ass handed to him, and became an MMA whipping boy ever since. I personally fall into the "he had the balls to step up," category, so I always thought he deserved respect for that.

Anyway, here's the linkFred Ettish Interview

It's a good interview, I think. Don't get me started on the "it takes years of study" thing though. That's just true for anything you want to get good at.

more power to the fetal fighter.
    i too enjoyed that, he seems to be an honest man without an ego, which is more than i can say for myself.
    vts

Good interview. He sounds like a nice guy. However, you have to wonder if he didn't really learn much of a lesson from his loss. Looking at the picture of him leading the class, it looks like he's still doing air fighting.

re´´ mpoe govem o
    br ftimlqitoe a bit of smsirnoffbut ettsih is cooll.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

qeySuS

ya, I think qeySuS makes a good point.
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

He has a pretty good point about others getting fu(ked up worse than him and not getting ridiculed.

I'll also respect the guy for having some massive cajones. If he didn't even expect to fight at all, and then jumped right into the ring, he gets some props from me.

He also doesn't seem to be making too many excuses, and he didn't pull the "my art is superior" bullsh1t.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

I don't remember who originally thought of this, but whoever it was had a good point.

Wouldn't it be great if the whole time everyone was making fun of him, Ettish was secretly training BJJ at Renzo's, Striking with Golden Glory, and wrestling with Team Quest, and he came back and just kicked everyone's ass?

Regardless of the fact that I think reality training is key, I find it disgusting that people all over the net keep harassing him. A little bit of heckling is to be expected, but I'm sure this poor guy has had over 6 or 7 years of it now.

I don't understand people. Leave the person alone.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Uhm yes disregard my last post, but yeah he has been a punching bag, i agree he doesnt diserve it but i did laugh at "Fetal fighting"

Originally posted by qeySuS
    re´´ mpoe govem o
    br ftimlqitoe a bit of smsirnoffbut ettsih is cooll.
    "a bit of Smirnoff" eh... that explains it

Indeed it would

Ryu,

Do you ever watch Sumo? One of my favorite wrestlers was in dire straits--he was competing with a bad back at the last basho, and was having a hard time keeping his record up so he wouldn't be demoted from Ozeki. His name is Kaio.

Anyway, he pulled off a beautiful ****zer grip no gi uchi-mata! You haven't seen wrestling till you've seen a sumo wrestler IPPON his opponent. It was a LOT of poetry in motion

As for Fred, yeah, I've always thought he was cool. Beyond my initial "Holy CRAP, that guy got the beejeesus beat out of him," I thought he had a lot of class. And a lot of guts after reading about his circumstances.

Thumbs up

Class act. And his dojo while small looked really nice.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

In defense....

Matsumura Kempo is not a true fighting style. The stances are too deep, their knowledge of tuite is severely limited, their kicks are too high and soft vs. whipping, and they learn a diluted version of Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito principles. It is basically a kumite (sparring) oriented style, and the Japanization of Matsumura's principles lend to these facts. Still, out of the traditional styles, at least Shorinji Ryu and Okinawan Kempo guys took the initiative, and attempted to test their mettle against some very accomplished pro fighters.

The fetal fighting comment is very funny, but at the same time people love to see others as miserable or more miserable than themselves.

Merry, Yeah I do watch it, in fact I was watching it yesterday

Kaio pulled off a win over Musashimaru at the end of the tournament, but Musashimaru had already taken the Emperor's cup so ....

Sumo is great fun to watch. Though the American commentator keeps making these god-awful jokes that aren't funny

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....