Thread: loosing your wind, not to be confused with breaking the wind

loosing your wind, not to be confused with breaking the wind

Just wanting to know what you guys do to regain your breath when it's been stolen during sparring. I stepped into a spinning rear kick and caught the heel full in the pit of my stomach. Have to admit it's been awhile since the last time that happened. Normally once should be enough to learn the leason, but I was going for the head shot on the instructors son. ****, he's fast.

I tried to breath normally until the spasms and pain hit me. After a couple of seconds I remembered what I was told to do. Which is to just exhale ALL the air out hard, and suck it back in threw clinched teeth just as hard. My instructor tells me dont over react and keep your composer. Dont let the other guy know he's stolen your breath. However that was out the window last night. Any advice.
    Be at peace first with your self then you can be at peace with others.

I've had the wind knocked out of me from body shots before. You're right about not letting them know you're vulnerable. While you're recovering, throw a couple quick punches at his face, if you can, just to give him something to think about. They can just be arm punches - all you're trying to do is keep him at a distance while you get your breath back.

hi

i myself do the same thing in that, not to let them know, but i usually retreat a step or two out of striking range and circle them so they have to keep moving, and when im fully recovered, i can go back.

Do some hard face stikes to keep them at a distance. Might actually drive in, wind being knocked out isn't bad at all.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

restoring breath

Is anyone in a style that has specific aplications to restore breathing to normal when its been stolen during combat? In the dojo you can always stop sparring and wait regain your wind, but in a real fight we dont have that option. Having the wind knocked out of me last week has made me refocus on the purpose of a ki-ai. While I do understood it's use for protection I would rarely ki-ai during sparring, but did for kata, and self defense techniques. Just thought I would bring this topic back to the front. Thanks to those who have posted previously.
    Be at peace first with your self then you can be at peace with others.