Thread: spm posture?

spm posture?

hi, i have started training spm recently after doing wing chun and stuff. when i do a spm form i get really bad back ache. my sifu has tried to help by correcting me, but i still get it. any sugestions or exercises that could help.
    thanks
    fish

fish

Are you tucking your pelvis up/forwards it could be that you aint and your back aching is chi blockage from the door of life pressure point being closed. tucking the bum in opens this point for energy to travel full circle from back to front.

also try exercises of half step and tuck, half step and tuck! for memory and training correct muscles.

hope this can help!
    FT

With the stance, it's hard to imagine it causing back-ache so you're 99.99% sure to be doing something wrong. No other 'exercises' should be necessary.

If what FT says isn't your issue then be more specific.

You could get naked in front of a mirror and examine your stance from front and sides. Post the pics to the health forum for expert opinon ;-)

Good training!

cheers

thanks guys!
    fish

How's your posture? Not in the stance, but in everyday life. If you have bad posture in general, you're sure to feel it when doing Gong Fu.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Back Pain

I used to get the same problem esspecially after training Doi Jong, you must make sure your back is straight backside tucked under and not to round the back, you want to be rounding the shoulders to concave the chest not the back, sifu corrected me and after some time of self correction it has gone, also if you have just started remember to tell your training partner to ease up if you get pains. It's a two way process (you must help your partner as he must help you) and if your partner is applying too much strength during jongs etc you won't benefit you will just waste time training the wrong lines, esspessially chy sau. It's better to do 10 correct than 100 incorrect just take is slow and it will come.
    Good Luck

Is your back sore when you are doing individual stance work or is it during partner training?

If it is during partner training it may be due to incorrectly accepting energy. You must channel the energy from your opponent to the ground. Do not let it travel through your back.

In stance work ensure your centre of balance is correct. You should be leaning neither forward nor back and neither right nor left.

And as FT mentioned, the position of your sacrum is also important. Incorrect positioning can put excess pressure on your lower back.

Hope this is of value to you.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au