Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vegan/Vegetarian?

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Thanks Spark! I will try to make some time during work tomorrow, I haven't actually clicked on any links yet so I will reserve my opinion for when I've had enough time to go through it all. But I appreciate your effort in at least posting some links.
    ElPietro,

Good attitude my man!!

I'll have to admit, I think the last one is the best and most unbiased. It lists the benefits, as well as potential 'dangers'. It seems to be the most balanced one I could find. I read your links, and could agree with some, but not with others. I"m sure you'll find the same with some of mine. Enjoy!!

I have a few vegan / vegetarian (mostly vegan) friends who have really good muscle shape ... they dont work out and usually have it from a young age. Strange, huh ?

I don't eat dairy and the only meat I eat is seafood (and not heaps), I've noticed I don't get acne like i used to, feel healthier, have more energy, etc. probably could do to lose a few kilos still!
    'If we do not go within, we go without'.

Fabian Delph

SOCCER PLANET FUTBOL

Man City Star Reveals How Tai Chi and Vegan Diet Switch Have Helped Him Regain Form
    By 90MIN May 20, 2018

Fabian Delph has revealed lifestyle changes in the form of Tai Chi and a vegan diet have been key to his revival with Manchester City and England.

The 28-year-old midfielder come left back has revitalised his career this season after putting his injury woes behind him and focusing on creating a positive mindset, a shift which has helped him play a key role in City lifting the Premier League title and confirming his place in England's 23-man World Cup squad.

Michael Regan/GettyImages

It was not initially all smooth sailing, however, as upon Pep Guardiola's arrival at the Etihad Stadium Delph's future was thrown into question as he did not immediately look to fill the mould of a player the Spaniard would often look to.

Yet, 29 appearances across all competitions this season has seen the former Aston Villa man shine, and he credits mindfulness exercises and a vegan diet as key to his well-being.

“I’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of setbacks, starting with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, lateral meniscus tear and medial ligament damage,” Delph is quoted as saying in the book, Soccology: Inside The Hearts And Minds Of The Professionals On The Pitch, via the Mirror.

AJS
    @ajs_ajsblue1
    It is no surprise IF Fabian Delph gets a call up to England’s WC squad. He was a crucial contributor in the PL’s greatest ever team breaking records, and creating history.

11:14 AM - May 15, 2018
    1 1 Reply 1 1 Retweet 27 27 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    “At that point, I heard people saying my *career was over or my *performances would not be as good.

“Not *being in the team and only *being *spoken about in terms of my injury was hard. Being injured massively affected my mental state — self-doubt crept in. "

"I began to question whether I would ever play again and, if I were to play again, whether my performances would be as good. When I began to train again, it took a while for me to adjust to my body’s changes as a result of the injury, find my confidence and get over my fear of breaking down.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages

“I decided to ignore my doubts and began to look at my body objectively, as if it were detached from me.

“I studied its weak parts, researched my injuries, began to strengthen my body and moved from rehab into pre-hab. I carried out mindfulness exercises like the moving meditation of Tai Chi. I changed the fuel I put into my body and switched to a vegan diet.”
    THREADS
    Vegan/Vegetarian
    Celebrities studying Tai Chi?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Harsh

I first thought this was a Halloween prank article but I don't think they celebrate Halloween in Thailand.

Horrified diners served HUMAN FLESH after restaurant owner 'killed customer and came up with a gruesome way to dispose of the body'
    Vegetarian restaurant patrons horrified to find they'd been served human meat
    Police investigated the Thai restaurant to find a decaying corpse in the kitchen
    The body was identified as a frequent customer who got in a fight with the owner
    Victim, 61, had been missing for more than a week before the discovery
    By ALEX CHAPMAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
    PUBLISHED: 08:48 EDT, 31 October 2018 | UPDATED: 09:25 EDT, 31 October 2018

Diners at a vegetarian restaurant were left stunned earlier this week after finding chunks of meat in their noodles.

Bewildered to find meat in meals at a vegetarian eatery, customers complained to local authorities, and that led to some gruesome discoveries.

A study of the meat found it was not beef or pork but in fact human flesh.

Thai police made the grim discovery of a human body after restaurant patrons reported meat in their vegetarian dish

An inspection of the kitchen found blood splattered on the walls and human flesh on the floor

An investigation of the premises then found a kitchen area where the walls and floor were spattered in blood and there were chunks of flesh on the ground.

Worse was to come for the horrified Thai police, as they found the decaying corpse of a 61-year-old man in the property's septic tank.

The restaurant appeared to have been abandoned when officers arrived. As of Wednesday, the owner was on the run.

The disfigured body was later identified as that of a regular patron of the restaurant.

A frequent customer, Prasit Inpathom was last seen having drinks at the restaurant on October 21 by his brother.

According to local publications, Prasit was involved in a verbal altercation with the boss of the restaurant.

According to reports, the body found in a septic tank in the restaurant was a frequent customer who had a fight with the owner

According to the reports, the fight escalated and the 61-year-old sustained fatal injuries.

He was hit in the head with a blunt object and had six stab wounds in his stomach and leg.

Police allege the owner's intention was to get rid of Prasit's corpse by grinding it up and serving parts of it to customers.

It's unknown whether any customers consumed the human flesh.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Claressa Shields

Plant-Based Boxer, GWOAT, Wins Fight for Double Championship, Gender Equality
    Hailey Welch Published: March 5, 2021
    @claressashields
    This story was updated Saturday, March 6th, 2021.

Last night Claressa Shields won the right to call herself GWOAT, Greatest Woman of All Time, becoming the first fighter, man or woman, to win an undisputed championship in two weight classes, by beating contender Marie-Eve Dicaire, for the title of World Champion, Junior Middleweight Division. Shields was already the reigning titleholder in the Middleweight division, and now she can wear her GWOAT ring with pride.

An outspoken advocate of equal pay and gender equality in the sport of boxing, and in every arena, Shields is putting her hard work and right cross hook where her mouth is, by drawing an ever-growing number of fans to the still mainstreaming sport of female boxing. She is also taking the gloves off to compete in mixed martial arts, and we can expect to hear more from her in the future. already the only boxer, man or woman to ever win two back-to-back Olympic Gold Medals, Shields' star is on the rise.

On March 5th Sheilds entered the ring n her hometown of Flint Michigan for her first-ever home-town bout, to show that: 1. Plant-based athletes kick-ass and 2. Equality for women all over the world still has a long way to go. (Perhaps not in that order.) The fight was dedicated to raising awareness for women's equality and pay equity in advance if International Women's Day, which is Monday, March 8th.

Equality, Pay Equity, and Fighting for What's Right

Shields is a great ambassador for both causes since she has been fighting and winning since she was 17 when she won her first Olympic Gold Medal in 2012 in London, England. Never count a vegan or plant-based athlete out. Novak Djokovic just won his ninth grand slam, at the Australian Open, on a plant-based diet. Tom Brady just won his seventh Superbowl Ring on a mostly plant-based diet. World Class Champion Surfer Tia Blanco wins her meets on a plant-based diet, and next, Claressa Shields is going to show that she can prevail, be her strongest and perform at the highest levels of her sport, on a plant-based diet of vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts, and seeds.

Most athletes who have ditched meat and dairy said they do it to lower inflammation in the body, which helps their circulation, oxygen uptake, endurance, strength, and injury prevention. All of them say it helps with faster recovery times so they can go crush it again the next day, without a "down day" between sessions.

Shields took on Marie-Eve Dicaire in one of the most important matches of her career. The event was held at the Dort Financial Center in Flint, on March 5 at 9 pm. The fight was sponsored by Vejii, the new vegan online market where you buy everything you want for a plant-based diet in one place.

"It just don't feel real to say undisputed twice," Shields told reporters, according to DAZN News, after adding the undisputed Junior Middleweight crown to the undisputed Middleweight title that she already owned. "It's kind of weird. It's like some epic s—t."

Her one goal that remained unachieved: She wanted the K.O. she told reporters. "I was trying to get the knockout," Shields said. "That's what I really wanted. I'm happy, but I still wanted the KO. I just didn't have enough time."

DAZN reported the reigning champ ended the press interview with: "Pacquiao who? Canelo who? It's Claressa Shields, yes!" She was referring of course to Manny Pacquiao, the much-decorated Filipino boxer, now a Senator in the Philippines, and "Canelo" Álvarez, the Mexican pro boxer who has won multiple world championships. "Two-time undisputed. When someone else does it, let me know! It ain't been done. It's just me."

Shields comes from a family of boxers and won her first Olympic Gold at age 17
    Shields was a decorated amateur boxing career, winning her first Olympic gold medal at 17 in 2012. She turned pro after defending her middleweight gold medal in Rio in 2016, she turned professional. In addition to her two Olympic gold medals, she has won nine world championship belts in the sport. Shields, 25, is the defending WBC and WBO light-middleweight champion. In her fight with Dicaire, she’ll put those belts on the line.

“I think it brings a lot more power, a lot more experience. I really think that I’m not just into only boxing. I’m a lot stronger at places where I really had strength at before. So I’m really excited about March 5th and bringing some of that to the table.”

Shields certainly has every right to be "super excited" about this bucket list event, since she grew up not too far from the arena, and learned to love the sport of boxing through her father Bo, a former boxer. “I really started boxing for my dad so that he can live his life through me,” she said. “And I didn't know that boxing was destined for what I would do. I just did it because I wanted to make my dad happy," she also told Team USA.

Claressa Shields Fights For Equality
    For Sheilds, there's only one perfect time to do what she loves, but since March is Women's History Month and International Women's Day is celebrated on the 8th, this fight, in particular, is destined to be the moment to prove everything she believes: "We're as great as the men."

In an interview with Fox Business, Shields pointed out that women don't get as much money as men in many sports but specifically in boxing because women are held at a maximum of 10 rounds whereas men can fight for 12 rounds, but she would be willing to compete for the entire round if they let her. Men and women deserve equal pay, and we are here to stay," she said.

“I have been very vocal about (women’s sports) but after being vocal now you have to take action. And right here is taking action,” Shields said. “Not being given chances by networks that don’t want to pay us what we want or need to be paid. … This is where it all starts. And to me, this is taking a stand for equal pay and equal fight time.”
    Threads
    Vegan-Vegetarian
    Boxing
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Never thought I'd see this...

China’s appetite for meat fades as vegan revolution takes hold
    Concerns over carbon emissions and food crises are fuelling a move away from meat consumption as a symbol of wealth

An advertisement for plant-based products at a KFC store in Hangzhou. International and domestic chains are expanding their range of meat alternatives. Photograph: VCG/Getty Images
    Crystal Reid
    Tue 9 Mar 2021 05.07 EST

The window of a KFC in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou hosts the image of a familiar mound of golden nuggets. But this overflowing bucket sporting Colonel Sanders’ smiling face is slightly different. The bucket is green and the nuggets within it are completely meat free.

Over the last couple of years, after many years of rising meat consumption by China’s expanding middle classes for whom eating pork every day was a luxurious sign of new financial comforts, the green shoots of a vegan meat revolution have begun to sprout. Although China still consumes 28% of the world’s meat, including half of all pork, and boasts a meat market valued at $86bn (£62bn), plant-based meat substitutes are slowing carving out a place for themselves among a new generation of consumers increasingly alarmed by food crises such as coronavirus and African swine fever.

China’s most cosmopolitan cities are now home to social media groups, websites and communities dedicated to meat-free lifestyles. VegeRadar, for example, has compiled comprehensive maps of vegetarian and vegan restaurants all across China. According to a report by the Good Food Institute, China’s plant-based meat market was estimated at 6.1bn yuan (£675m) in 2018 and projected to grow between 20 and 25% annually.

Yun Fanwei, a 25-year-old student from Shanghai, is one of a new breed of vegetarians hungry for more options. “I buy some of these fake meat products and a lot of them are pretty good. They don’t necessarily taste like meat, but it makes a nice change from tofu,” she said.

Eating meat has been closely connected with the growing affluence of China. In the 1960s, the average Chinese person consumed 5kg of meat a year. This had shot up to 20kg by the time of former leader Deng Xiaoping’s “reform and opening” of the late 1970s, and to 48kg by 2015.

A woman smells meat before buying it at Xihua farmer’s market in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. After the coronavirus outbreak China brought in new regulations on the trade and consumption of wild animals. Photograph: Alex Plavevski/EPA
    But in 2016, as part of its pledge to bring down carbon emissions, the Chinese government outlined a plan to cut the country’s meat intake by 50%. It was a radical move, and so far very few other governments around the world have included meat consumption in their carbon-reduction plans.

The new guidelines, which called on citizens to consume just 40-75g of meat a day, were promoted with a series of public information adverts featuring the actor Arnold Schwarzenegger and director James Cameron. Since then there have been few other concrete steps taken, other than the president, Xi Jinping, last August launching a “clean plate campaign” aimed at reducing the “shocking and distressing” 40% of food that goes straight from Chinese dinner tables into the bin. Some commentators speculated that asking Chinese citizens to reduce their meat consumption was felt to be particularly unpopular.

But alternative proteins are seen as a possible route forwards. Last year at the annual “two sessions” parliament, Sun Baoguo, a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, called for more investment in and regulation and promotion of artificial meat.

Some of the biggest international chains operating in China have been quick to bet on the growth of alternative meats. KFC is now selling vegan chicken nuggets, Burger King is offering an Impossible Whopper, and Starbucks is serving Beyond Meat pastas, salads and wraps.

But domestic companies are setting up shop too, betting that state backing will come soon, not least because the government may see alternative proteins as a way to let citizens continue to have the “luxury” of meat while also moving towards its carbon-reduction goals. That optimism has led to several Chinese competitors entering the market alongside international powerhouses such as Cargill, Unilever and Nestlé, as well as the vegan meat poster-children Impossible and Beyond.

Packets of plant-based OmniPork on sale at a Green Common plant-based grocery store in Hong Kong. Photograph: Getty Images
    OmniFoods, which launched in Hong Kong in 2018, is one of a band of regional startups jostling for market share, having recently opened a multi-brand vegan shop and restaurant in Shanghai and secured its signature product, OmniPork, in McDonald’s in Hong Kong and Aldi, White Castle and Starbucks on the mainland. The company, which plans to operate in 13 countries this year, also just completed its UK soft launch for Veganuary, during which OmniPork was turned into everything from scotch eggs to Korean bibimbap at participating restaurants.

The OmniFoods founder, David Yeung, hopes the opening of a China-based factory next year will help bring down the price of his products. Plant-based proteins currently cost much more than their meat counterparts, a major barrier when it comes to getting China’s notoriously thrifty shoppers to make the switch. “Obviously minimising logistics and middle parties and creating economies of scale will have a big impact on the value chain. As we cut these expenses in China, we foresee a significant price drop,” Yeung said.

Shanghai-based Z-Rou produces a plant-based mince substitute which is already in the canteens of some of China’s top international schools, hospitals and businesses. Its CEO, Franklin Yao, is targeting opinion leaders and middle-class consumers who can afford to make conscious choices. “They would even be willing to pay more as they know they’re getting a healthier product that’s helping ensure the future of the planet their children are inheriting. That’s priceless.”

A chef makes spaghetti bolognese with plant-based OmniPork as David Yeung, the co-founder and co-chief executive officer of Green Monday, looks on at the Kind Kitchen restaurant in Hong Kong. Photograph: Paul Yeung/Bloomberg/Getty Images
    Other China players include Zhenmeat, which makes plant-based beef, pork and crayfish, and Starfield, whose seaweed-based mince alternative has been turned into dishes at some of China’s leading restaurant chains.

Yao admits the industry is still very small in China but he thinks meat-free substitutes will become mainstream very soon. “Chinese consumers are actively looking for more sustainable products. While the link between meat and the environment is still weak among the majority of the population, the interest is there and China learns fast.”

But weaning people off meat may prove harder than some of these companies would like to think. “I’ve tried a vegetarian braised pork dish before but it’s not the same as real meat,” said 64-year-old retiree Bao Gege. “The taste, texture and nutritional values are not comparable. I wouldn’t try it again, even if it was cheaper than meat.”
    threads
    the-Kentucky-Fried-Thread
    Vegan-Vegetarian
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by prana View Post
    Hmm most vegetarians I know are pretty skinny, and incredible definition. Then there are those who look pretty terrible, sickly and dead (hehehe me!!). but man, those guys are strong!

I think the secret is that they eat lots of beans, nuts and substitute with loads of vegetable and fruit juices to keep them going. They tend to also snack loads.

I tend to not care so much about my intake, hence I'm sickly and half decomposed.

Good luck, from the half decomposing breathing pulp behind the screen.
    Couldn't agree with you more man! Those are pure facts. Besides, I'm also a vegeterian. Peace!
    Stay healthy And Chase the best version
    of yourself - Beyond body