Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Lin Shifu

Thank you all so much, I feel like a heal typing my problems over the net for I have much pride and quite frankly feel embarassed about my ex-teachers actions.

Bei tang lang, he copy writted the name "8 step preying mantis" "shyun tai chi chaun" and "KUNGFU USA"
    It was never done before so he was the first, and actually kicked george listjak one of the sifu's out of the system and then sued him for using /teaching the name 8 step with out his consent and WON.

Count, moshan lives in buffalo? how do I find him I would love to exchange thoughts and knowledge. do you know how to get a hold of him??????? thanks

Paul lin, yes I would apprieciate that very much
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Post Su

Count,

Master Su Yu Chang is my father's kungfu brother. He did learned 8 steps form GM Wei himself. He also has many other styles of mantis. GM Wei common on him as too much redones, as many different styles need not to repeat the same purpose in movements. I guess Su has a obsession on all mantis forms.

Su will be a very good source to learn form, but he has no ShuaiChiao knowledge. If you checked out the pictures on the other mantis site, you can find the photo of Su when he was in 20's, parctice with my father.

Su has also researched alot in the history of mantis. He knows more people, names of moves, and stories than my father. My father has concentrate mostly on the practice, theory, and applications(my father's body are stronger). Su spend much time on forms and histories(he was lighter built). It is like students in the same university that studied in different majors.

Once my father and Su has been in a meeting with other kungfu friends, I think it is about more then 10 years ago in LA, Shyun showed up and claim that he has 8 step, he show funny/useless moves and tell every one he can teach every body how to kill(if you can find Shyun's early moves in magazine, you will know what I mean). Su and my father both agreed on the time that he knows nothing about 8 step. Later Shyun claim that he practiced with my father's group in the park and called my father Da Shr Shon, which my father have never seen Shyun practice 8 step once. Unhappy about Shyun, but Shyun's father is my father's good friend, so my father never contect Shyun even Shyun called my father.

You can definitly ask Su about what Shyun has, Shyun's moves has been constanly changed since then.

Copyrights

With regard to copyright law:

- you can't copyright an 'obvious descriptive name'. For example, you can't copyright "tissue" but you can copyright "kleenex".

- "8-step praying mantis" is an obvious translation of a chinese term, and therefore it should not be allowed to be copyrighted.

- even if it is, one could use another similar name, such as "8-stance praying mantis" and a charge of infringement probably would not stand up in court, and certainly should not stand up in court when the translation from preexisting chinese terms argument is used.

by the way...

I have heard that Shyun is now using the term "Shyun style kung fu", since that can clearly be copyrighted by him.

It also seems to be more descriptive of what he's actually teaching, based on what's been written here.

Post RAF

Chen Gao Qing? is Chen (ear with east) Gao (country) Qing(can't find English word)? I spelled it Chen Kuo Qing. He is one of the top students under GM Wei. Wang Chiu Xiong is also top student. They should know all 6 chapters ZaiYao if they remembered them.

Moderators?

WTF happened to RAF's really informational and insightful posts in this thread???? I would like to know more about the 8 step book.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

This is not an area I want to go into other than to say that the book Paul Lin cites exists and his claim regarding his father is verified in the book.

I have a lot of respect for the 8 Step Praying Mantis System and I do not want to add fuel to a fire I know little of so I deep sixed my comments.

Post The book

That book is wrote by GM Wei, edited by my father and Su. Su is the final editor and he is the last person make any change on it.

That book is how GM Wei want the world know him as, his arts, and how history will record he is.

And there is nothing on there has to do with Shyun learned his arts and bullwhip.
    Last edited by PaulLin; 03-17-2002 at 04:04 PM.

Is the book available for sales? I would love to have a copy for a compare & contrast of the styles as I come across them.
    Thanks to the contributors here!
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Post book

I will try to make a copy, with translation and my father's opinions on the opposite side of each copied page. I hope I can publish it soon. Or maybe Master Su can do that too.
    Last edited by PaulLin; 03-13-2002 at 11:39 AM.

Hi Paul,
    I too would like a copy if you get a chance. Thanks
    www.traditionalmantisboxing.com

A copy / translation of that book would be an amazing asset to the world of martial arts!

I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say please let us know when it's available. Xie xie.

Interesting

I found this thread by accident, but I am glad I did.

First, Mike/ED, I am glad you are getting things of your chest. I have personally always wondered about the Shyun style taiji, which Shyun learned from the Wu family, but changed the name "out of respect". This does not really mix with what I understand. My teacher is so afraid anything she says will reflect badly on her dead teachers memory that she will only talk about them privately with her top students. And she never even says anything bad about them. I cant imagine her changing the name of any of the taiji she teaches out of respect. She would see it as far too presumptuous.

Hell, with rare exception, I dont even mention my teacher on this site or others out of respect for her wishes.

Second, Paul I may have misunderstood, but it seems you have a book on 8 step mantis to publish. You should try to find Jess Obrien. He posts on the Taiji section under the name Rockwood. He has contacts with the publisher North Atlantic Press, which publishes a large number of martial arts books.

Daniel

Thanks I do feel better, I have carried around a lot in the past for him and I am tired of making up excuses to cover up thigs that just arent right.

Are you in japan yet? have you contacted my freinds that I gave you?
    If you are in japan look them up. If you arent I have someone with whom I would like you to meet. He lives in San Fran and I told him to get in touch with you his screen name is SYRE and he is a newbie to martial arts but has gotten the shaft from a sifu and is very interested in learning martial arts. I was hoping you could help him out, but he said your profile said you had left for japan.

If you have not please try to get in touch with him through KFO thanks daniel......ED
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net