Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Fans

magicfist Guest

Iron Fans

Does anybody know the legality of carrying an iron fan? Would it be considered a weapon by law?

WongFeHung Guest
    Hmmm, probably not-that is until it's used. You can carry a wooden fan instead. In Choy Li Fut and other Siu Lum styles, the fan is actually used predominantly in the closed position to hit vital points on the body,-actually, anywhere you hit with the butt end of a fan would be excruciating. You can open it for screening your attacker's vision, and the ribs can be raked across the eyes, but they need not be iron.

fighting fans

looking for a good fighting fan to purchse.

sry but i dont want one of the 4 that are offered on the internet. i have thought about just buying one of the basic metal fighting fans and taking the pattern of the fabric to a seamstriss and having a sleeve made up.

BUT, if someone has a link to a good palce to purchase fans that are not super cheesy then I would be most thank full for your assistance.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

What is it you don't like the ones being offered? The design, material or quality? Then maybe I can point ya somewhere.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Decent metal fans are hard to come by.

The cheesy ones with the dragons or Kung Fu written on them are easy to find. However, they are too short for anyone taller than around 5'8"

Nelson Chin, Fist Sports in Houston, carries some decent bamboo fans. While they are NOT metal ones, they ARE of sufficient weight and strength to be a weapon...as much as any bamboo or rattan short rod.

He carries them in two sizes - small - about 12 inches long and large - 14 or 15 inches long.

A good rule of thumb would be a length that is from your elbow to not less than your wrist and not over your fingertip length.

His come in several colors - red, green, black I believe...no writing or pictures on them. Also, they have the cloth part extending past the fan spines - making them look a bit better. He carries right handed and left handed fans.

They are not too expensive...I think under $20.

Metal ones... You would probably have to get the fan, rip off the cloth, get some silk or some strong nylon (funny, but a heavy shiny silk tends to be stronger than man made fabrics...if you go to light in the silk or nylon, rayon...the weight of the metal fan would tend to make the fabric tear when doing a fast open.)

The hard part of this is the attaching process. The glue has to adhere to the metal and to the fabric...but NOT bleed through the fabric and definitely NOT be sticky between one spine and the next. I have had some from China that did just that. After 2 years they STILL would stick together and be impossible to open with a flick of the hand....good for a garbage can but not much else.

Also, if you do it yourself, you can also make a right and left handed fan (the order of the spines is opposite and you have to glue them a bit differently.

Nelson Chin Beijing Imports

Not really a fan of those fans (no pun intended...but if I type that I know the pun is there so maybe it is an intended pun??? Oh whatever.)

The do come in the 3 colors and lefty or righty, but I dislike the extended material...makes em look....mmm...too soft and feminine for my taste. I think Wing Lam has some different metal fans

Wing Lam Ent.

And have you tried Martial Arts Mart? They have a couple also.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF
    And have you tried Martial Arts Mart? They have a couple also.
    lol

-------

thanks you guys. im at work, so ill look into it when i get home.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Actually, in many of the northern fan forms, the extended material is SUPPOSED to be there. It is kind of like the tassel or flag....not much use beyond the visual effect....but then again, this IS Martial ART....

The history of the fan was that they were MALE things (strangely enough). At least on the larger ones. At one time, men would give a fan as a gift to another man - typically with calligraphy on it and such. It was a gift of respect (yep...seems a bit strange to me too...but this is from Helen Wu - grandaughter of Wang Ziping).

But, if you REALLY don't like the extra material...a pair of scissors and 5 minutes will fix that...and you can then put the liquid hem stuff on it to keep it from fraying. After that, the fan is simply your old run of the mill bamboo fan. BUT...they DO come in lengths and no one else has the longer ones...at least not yet. ALso, the other ones I have seen all have the goofy drawings, Kung Fu, or other such nonsense. If I want anything on my fan, it is calligraphy from my teacher.....

Gosh I'm nice. Here they are at that buykungfu.com place.

12" fan
    15" fan
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

duty calls

iron dragon fans
    iron phoenix fans
    bamboo fan
    ninja fan
    NOTE: the iron fans are just called that - I think it's from the Chinese translation. They're actually steel.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

the metal ones are OK...but two problems -

The images on the fan...can't they just have a plain old colored fan with nothing on it?

Second, they are too short. The longest is 13 inches.

At 6'1", I feel and look a bit strange working with such a short fan. I need the 15 inch length...and then the extra material that a previous post decried also adds to the impression of length making the fan seem bigger. Without the extra material, I would actually prefer an 18" fan. Not bloody likely that I will find one...but the 12" - 13" fans are just too small for me.

I have been looking for a decent metal fan of sufficient length for more than 5 years. Making one myself is not something I really want to do.

thanks for the links everyone.

its those dragon and phoenix fans that i dont want. those are the only metal ones i could find. (sry just kinda cheesy to me) they are ok, but im not really looking for a multi production fan. Its going to be a gift so I would like to be able to personalize it a bit.

im kinda liking the one at wing lam, but really I wish i could get a blank red one....see i want our schools moto put on it.

GWL do you have a link to the nelson chin fans you are talking about?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

On a trip to China a few years back, some of our people were able to find some really nice fans that might be similar to what you are looking for. Instead of being made of the thin and flimsy metal, these were made out of a heavier steel, the ends pointed (not sharp though) and then covered with silk. If I can find a pic of mine, I will post it. I will also try to see who made them.

BM2, do you have one of the ones I am talking about?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

PQ,

The fans were linked twice already in this thread

Beijing Imports=NelsonChin

And Iron Fist linked straight to em
    ------
    Jason

GC:
    oh, har!!

the ones with the extra fabric. gotcha, thanks.

im not very good at math, so sometimes i cant put 2 and 2 together.

so far those are looking pretty good.

GT: that would be awsome if you could find the distributor of those. especially if they have an online site to view.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan