Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: striking a tree?!

I hit trees.. mostly closed fist, but tiger too
    only full force
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Cool Kristoffer - Hitting a Tree

Kristoffer -

May I ask if your hands hurt? Seems to me that when you hit a tree full force with your knuckles something should give. But you did not mention what part of the fist you use when you train your hands. I hope it is your knife hand. Train well.

Damian

wait a minute here, i thought only external styles have iron hand training or any kind of body hardening trianing where you stike hard and or rough/ objects. i always though the internal arts don't have those kinds of body or striking limb conditioning .

don't internal art practitioners harden their bodies and limbs by using chi kong or chi cultivation and development?
    the path to righteousness is straight and narrow.

Smile wolfkiller

Very good question Wolfkiller. Speaking for myself, I trained in the Iron Palm before taking Chen Tai Chi Chuan.

Iron palm and Iron Body skills and their development are considered "internal" practices even though they make extensive use of external materials such as the bean bags, sand bags etc etc.

The chi kung and Nei Kung exercise are also used.

Chi Kung and Nei Kung by themselves cannot do the whole job. Just as striking and self striking cannot get the job done by itself either.

Iron skill practitioners in CMA have much less damage to their bodies than iron skills development in non cma.

Except for the fist callouses that Pan Qing Fu sports. I never did understand why that occured with his practice.

peace

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There is no tree

"don't internal art practitioners harden their bodies and limbs by using chi kong or chi cultivation and development?"

wolfkiller is correct ; in internal arts the practitioner is meant to only use chi gung to harden themselves however alot of people use external methods with this.as for why? its probably a different reason for each individual.my teacher never used external conditioning methods in his iron shirt development.also destroying the body and causing callouses for greater combat ability goes against taoist believes.

as for the tree striking in internal arts; it is different to external arts in the sence we arent trying to condition our hands or other parts, the strikes are basically meant to cause the tree to shake.this will only happen with proper alignment and with the issueance of energy.so this is what it trains

Cool Hitting a Tree

Kung Lek - In regards to Pan Qing Fu. I don't know how he does it but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when the arthritis kicks in. Is hitting steel 1000x necessary??

Wu Xing/Wolfkiller - I am in agreement with both of you when it comes to Iron Shirt/Qigong training. However, a Taoist practitioner showed me the "how to" as far as tree training goes. I do not only hit trees but, also, use the "iron" in my training. What hitting a tree does, I feel, gives the hand a texture/feeling that is not the same when you slap the "iron". I'm not aware if the tree shakes but I am looking for a good feeling when I strike the tree. I beleive it is just part of the training one goes through to acquire the "touch"

Damian

Braden Guest
    From http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/Spi...anFZQ_new1.htm :

At the age of 12 Feng was sent to relatives in Beiping (today's Beijing) to learn repairing electric appliances. One of his neighbours there was a Tongbei expert (also skillful in point striking and "Light Skill" - Qinggong) from famous Cangzhou County in Hebei Province, Han Xiaofeng. Feng studied under Han's guidance for four years, not only learning Tongbeiquan, but also Red Sand Palm skill (hands hardening method), kicking wooden posts and striking sand bags. Feng was able to break five bricks with one hand strike.

At the end of 40s there were two martial artists very famous in Beijing - Xinyiquan (Xingyiquan) master Hu Yaozhen from Shanxi Province, called "One Finger Shakes Heaven and Earth" (Dan Zhi Zhen Qiankun), expert not only in martial arts, but also traditional Chinese medicine and Taoist meditation methods; the second was Chen Fake, 17th generation inheritor of Chen style Taijiquan. At the age of 20 Feng Zhiqiang through introduction of one of his gongfu brothers (who was from the same town as Hu Yaozhen) met Hu Yaozhen. Hu criticized Feng's practice methods saying they were "ruining his body".

Cool Striking a Tree

I met an Internal practitioner this past weekend and the man loves trees (small world). Showed me some raking techniques, 2 star and a different strike or two. It was great. A good replacement for the wooden dummy. Train well.

Damian

It seems like interenal is cnocerned with using the tree to test whether they are doing a technique correctly (dan tien allignment or whatever) and the external with toughening the actual skin/area that is hitting the tree. Also, I don't see any difference in the result= correct form and hardened fist/foot/whatever.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Dayum, this is an old thread. Almost forgot it..
    Gotta read it through again

Question:

Regarding a side kick (I'm assuming we're talking about a big tree here and not something a little girl could bend): When you unload a side kick into the tree, I'm going to guess that it's not falling over. I'd guess that it doesn't even budge. So, if that's the case, are you repelled backwards? If not, I would think then that you are "holding" your kick. So why not just kick a bag FULL power than?

I would think punching a large tree is not much different than punching a brick wall -- no give: Same question: Does the tree give or do you? Are you punching it FULL power?

The reason I asked because when I did WC seniors would be using the wooden man, and it would be shaking like mad, but who can punch it with a fist FULL power? It was more like open palm sharp pushing. That is different that an uppercut or hook.

I like to strike things that I can hit with full power and full follow through. Using a tree to train alignment is different, pushing off of it, testing angles. But striking it full power, seems like you're asking for joint trouble down the line. Upper arm, forearm, fist WITH full power into a solid object with no give = broken wrist. No?

What are you guys doing? I need to know. I snapped my wrist striking somebody's ribs and it's giving me a hell of a time.

When I was into kicking trees, which I posted about a while ago, I could shake them up to about the thickness of my own leg.

Kicking a tree feels like kicking a well rooted 215 lb person.

Since the force of the blow escapes back into your own body, it helps develop your standing leg quite well, and you get used to hitting guys who won't move (this happens sometimes if you like to fight much heavier guys).

You can't do it too much though or you'll get hurt. Objects with no give do help build alignment, but heavy bags that you can really lay into develop your speed and power much more effectively, IMO. If you are wearing sneakers, the sole provides enough give to make it a worth while effort. But if it hurts, stop.

i don't often strike trees, as i prefer to train indoors, but i do strike wooden and metal poles. - mainly low kicks using the soles of the feet and palm strikes. - i would not punch an 'ungiving' object, as i care about my hands. - i sometimes use my forearm, but more in a 'warding' (deflect at an angle) fashion, rather than as a straight on forearm strike for conditioning, as in tai chi, sensitivity is more important than being able to smash things really hard with your arms.

if someone is punching trees, and they are not truely silly. - i would imagine that they have done much prerequisite fist conditioning. - or they are just giving the tree love taps.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

OK.

But I think comparing the root of a tree and a 215 lbs person is insulting to the tree. I'm 200 lbs and only find sport in fighting guys bigger than myself. None of them have the root of an oak, maple, pine, ect.

In fact, generally I dislike the word "root" in martial arts. I held horse stances from age 4 to 12 for Isshin-Ryu and then again later in life for Hung Gar. I have a strong base, but no roots. It's hard to move me if I don't want to be moved, but I tend to avoid stagnation and like to keep moving in a fight. A strong base from which to move, powerful stepping, but I don't like the idea of "rooting". We are not trees.

This of course if just my opinion. And different styles tend to look at and solve problems differently.

Best in your training
    Ray