Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how does shing yi stand up tp pake mae & wing chun

Strange. I thought the square-on stance was only for practice or for a split second at the end of a punch with the rear hand. Then again, what do I know, I'm just a Wing Chun practioner, not an expert observer like Maximus.

-FJ

Wing chun has no power?.................hmmmmm.......hey Ego, don't let Rolling_hand hear you say that!

Thumbs down ..

we wasted every one of ego's arguments on an earlier thread. he is a troll, plain and simple. he should be banned from this board.

he is just a paraplegic little b*tch who got his as* kicked when he practiced clf, if i remember correctly. probably due to his ****iness, he wound up in a wheelchair.

even though i, as a xingyiquan practitioner, backed up southern styles with real knowledge (rather than faulty logic and irrelevent analogies), he kept trolling.

just ignore him. he acts like a little kid, trying to impress anyone who is naive enough to listen to him.

you are an idiot, ego. this is easily-seen. you should leave. no one wants you to be here, and you have nothing to offer anyone except your hateful ramblings.

p.s. we also found his website, on which are pictures of transformers toys and him practicing stances (which are very faulty and weak -- no power). he goes by another name, goktimus.

raving_limerick

The Chinese weren't expert boat builders like the great europeans. Chinese never had an effective sea faring army - navy in its entire history.

There wasn't enough space on those junks (why do you think they're called junks - maybe its because they're poorly built) so the wing chun punches became shorter and shorter. one small push, they'll fall over as a result of the turbulence in the waters. As a result they never developed proper power and what little power they had - it was overated.

As for training with real weapons on the boats - it was a dangerous prospect as they risk hull breach of sorts. Not to mention accedentally tearing theirv sails or something. The southern lot were previously farmers with little experience in the oceans.

wasn't practical for the red boat rebels to train on shore. Many who tried were discovered by small detechments of government troops and wiped out.

Instead they used their kung fu for entertainment purposes such as the chinese opera which later developed into kung fu flicks we see today. Kung fu pop culture which bears little resemblence to real fighting can be traced back to the southern source.

Ive compleatly changed my mind....
    Ego you ROCK
    Your just to darn entertaining for words, if only you and Ralek could get together - oh the fun you would both have.

The weird part is...
    We are laughing at you.
    You are laughing at us.
    Who is laughing loudest and does it really matter anyway
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Wink ..

alright, goktimus, i'm feeling argumentative. for the sake of everyone else, though, i will meet your reply so others don't have to.

kung fu pop culture? i assume that you are referring to what most people call wushu. you should know, then, that wushu is mostly northern styles, and that changquan and it's weapon forms were the first wushu forms to be put together for prc wushu.

training on boats? please. no one is that stupid as to spend most of their time training on a boat. several styles were developed to be able to be stable enough to accomodate boat fighting, but this is natural adaptation. you are taking the boat-fighting thing to extremes, and flat-out making things up. before a few years ago, chinese opera and their boats were rarely heard of. recently, though, articles have been written, and now all of a sudden people are using boat fighting as an explanation for every stance variation and technique in southern styles. this is sad.

to get back to the foundation of modern wushu and pop-culture kung fu, you should realize that wing chun kuen is nothing like anything practiced for the chinese opera. anything that was developed to be stable enough to be able to accomodate boat fighting would not be entertaining enough for chinese opera. chinese opera styles were just exaggerated traditional forms, with added acrobatic movements, similar to prc wushu.

as i mentioned earlier, ego, you need to give examples to justify your explanation of the "source of pop culture kung fu" as coming from the south. pop culture kung fu is nothing more than wushu, and that originally had northern origins from the northern capital, and made from northern changquan. if your definition of "pop culture kung fu" is something different, then you needed to define it for us, as i have never heard of that term used before. whether it is or not is irrelevent to the fact that you need to back up obscure comments like the one in your last post.

as for chinese boats, the chinese needed to at least have decent boats. this is something that develops naturally when you are in an environment like southern china. to think that all boats would be poor and primitive is ignorant. it is true that the chinese never had a great navy or army, but boats were always considered to be used primarily for merchants, and were never very large (or well-made, if they were -- an undeveloped area).

"the southern lot" you refer to seems to be quite the stereotype. stupid, useless, sweaty farmers with nothing to offer the rest of the world, no doubt? this "southern lot" was used to marshes and water-ways, and used small boats very often for business. you should at least give "the southern lot" a little credit for being able to meet the basic needs of their societies and environments. the south may have been more rural as a whole, but it was a very interesting place where many great styles came about from the temples there.

Thumbs down

Ego what the heck is your problem, man? Were you beaten up by southern styilst or what? Why so much bitterness when it comes to southern kungfu?

I have a friend that practices 7* mantis,plum flower mantis, and wing chun and he doesn't think anything about it.

Wanna know something Goktimus? I saw your site and your stances were horrible and off balance. All this time talking about how northern styles are superior and your don't even have a solidfoundation.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Thumbs down

Ego what the heck is your problem, man? Were you beaten up by southern styilst or what? Why so much bitterness when it comes to southern kungfu?

I have a friend that practices 7* mantis,plum flower mantis, and wing chun and he doesn't think anything about it.

Wanna know something Goktimus? I saw your site and your stances were horrible and off balance. All this time talking about how northern styles are superior and your don't even have a solid foundation.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Plastic squirrel

I'm not goktimus. Chinese pop culture that we see today are extensions of the opera acts performed on those red junks. During those performences the actors dress up in colorful and elaboratre costumes much like the way alot of southern kuing fu schools dress their students in while training. This becomes apparent during chinese new year when southern schools bring out the full works- the dancing lion, gongs, drums and masks.

I agree it woulkd be stupid to spend all of one's life on a boat without coming to shore. But they had no choisce given that they were hunted by government troops- had to stay on the boat to practice. During the times when they did come to shore - it was to put on a performances to prevent the troops from moving against them. The performances served the purpose of providing entertainment to the villiages which provided a distraction to the harsh realities of life and oppression by the military. In doing so, the chinese opera reduced the extent or frequencty of up rising by the villiages. The government knew that and their opera performances were tolerated. However, they would all be nabbed if kung fu was seen to be practiced on shore.

It thus became a unwritten code that kung fu could only be practiced on the junks and their role in society meant that their kung fu was only for performance purpose. The giverment knew that real weapons would not be used otherwise accidents on the stage would have meant the death of an actor or two. Not to mention the occasional hull breech should a broadsword slice through the side of the hull - drowing all occupants inside.

I've also seen gotktimus website- it however is not mine!

You wanna see Ego's website, go to the Wheelchair Olympics site.

Alright

Let's cap this thread off. The discussion has become useless and counter productive.

Some people thrive off of negative attention. Don't give them the satisfaction of giving yours.

Peace,
    amdes

Ego

So WHERE THE F@CK DID LION DANCING COME FROM? FROM THE NORTH ALSO BAK SI NORTHERN LION, AND DRAGON DANCING TOO!

YOUR A SMUTT!

HERE'S A TIP FRPM FT...
    IT HELPS IF YOU READ UP ON YOUR KNOWLEDGE BEFORE TROLLING, SO YOU DONT LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

DO YOU KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE LION DANCE AND WHERE IT ORIGINATED FROM?

Talking

The Chinese never had a Navy? Did you learn history from Marvel comic books or what? Perhaps they swam to central and south america.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Soy Kiew

Why is everyone so hostile to Ego? I find him (and the reactions he evokes) enormously entertaining - and I don't even have to pay for the ticket!

He is one of our special Kungfu Online "Contraires", and is here to teach us not to take ourselves too seriously - keep up the good work Ego!

fiercetiger

it is sad isn't it. throughout history, the south has attempted to copy the northern culture. Lion dancing, dragon dancing etc. and to be fooled in thinking that it is part of the fighting system. And in doing so, the southerners also attempted to copy the northern arts only to end up with something, stiff and impractical, practiced by irrate little sh1ts like fiercetiger who trains down-under.

Ao Qin

I hope in person they're alot nicer. It's probably because when it comes to kung fu, they talk warrior talk. Everthing is black or white, life or death, killed or be killed. Ever notice in other posts, they try to be extra polite then normal speak. When ever a wannabe kung fu practitioner speaks to another, they tread on thin ice. A wrong move or a misunderstood gesture risk the unleashing of chi energy - and definately more dicey then the middle east peace talks. This is kung fu speak for you, where masters speak in poor english, where masters withhold secrets, where deciples cause trouble. The odd revenge, personal challenge, flings with the si moe or si sook or si die or si kung or whatever. It's all been done before by Shaw brothers and for those who ain't got enough or a wannabe Director - they come to this forum to take it out on poor ole ego maximus.